Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 07:06 AM

444 posts, read 582,205 times

Advertisements

I made the move to NC and it is a like/hate relationship...I love the weather and the job opportunies but don't like all the people and distance to mountains...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2015, 10:02 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,739,789 times
I moved from Australia to the US and I can't stand it here. Unfortunately I love my husband and it's his country and he wants to stay here. He didn't like living in Australia. It makes for a difficult situation with no resolution.

Old 01-02-2015, 12:31 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
I moved from Australia to the US and I can't stand it here. Unfortunately I love my husband and it's his country and he wants to stay here. He didn't like living in Australia. It makes for a difficult situation with no resolution.
That has to be really hard.

Old 01-04-2015, 09:32 AM

460 posts, read 1,004,756 times
I've moved a lot for work, by choice, and always had good luck, until the last time. I've lived in Seattle (nice but too dark and gray all the time), Phoenix (loved the sunshine and heat), San Francisco (loved everything but housing prices - sky high). Moved to Denver and fell in love with it. The most perfect fit for me of anyplace I have ever lived. But after a couple years got a job offer in Indianapolis. Thought hey, why not, I don't mind moving. But it turns out Indianapolis is not a fit for me. I'm kind of miserable, but I know somehow I will be able to find a way back to Denver at some point.

Old 01-05-2015, 05:32 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,444,863 times
Moved to Denver. Fine...except it friggin snowed on Labor Day, Memorial Day. Summer came between the second and third Tuesday in July. Driving to work in a snow storm, having the transmission shift lever freeze up on the tranny, etc. ugh.

Old 01-05-2015, 09:39 AM

2,253 posts, read 2,521,545 times
Yep! You can scroll on this broad for a lot more whining from me, we moved from NY to NC last year and I can't wait to move out! Too far from family, too much like the Amazon jungle May through September, it's just not for me.

Old 01-05-2015, 11:09 AM

6,005 posts, read 4,788,219 times
When I was 21, my husband, newborn son, and I moved to Stillwater, Oklahoma for my husband's job. I had given birth after a really difficult pregnancy (gestational gallstones.) I had emergency surgery a month after giving birth... big, open incision to remove my gall bladder. I was still healing from that surgery when I fell down a flight of stairs while carrying my one month old son. I held onto him for dear life and broke my ankle badly, ripped all the tendons in my left leg, gave myself a concussion... another emergency surgery required.

I was still recovering when my husband's employer required us to move from Wisconsin to Oklahoma. Not only was I recovering from post surgical crapola, I also had (unbeknownst to me at the time) post partum depression.
I was using a walker to move around since my abdominal incisions were still healing. I couldn't walk on my own for over a year. I gained weight, I threatened suicide, I bawled my head off every single day. The first week after moving, a tornado ripped through town! It was insane... the whole move, the surrounding circumstances, and I was convinced that Oklahoma was the WORST place I'd ever been. Of course, I can be more subjective today. I'd like to go back to get a clearer picture of what the place is really like, honestly. In my memory, all I can picture is dark clouds and ominous looking places in Oklahoma! Poor Oklahoma. I'm sure it's probably a lovely place and it gets such a bad rap from me.

Things do get better, though... sometimes it requires moving from where you're unhappy. And other times it might just take some time to get settled in.

Old 01-06-2015, 08:15 AM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
I moved from TN to IA for a job in 2012. The pay was a lot better than the job in TN, but I ended up hating both the job and most of the people I worked with. I moved back to TN in about a year. I forgot I ever lived in Iowa.

Old 01-06-2015, 10:52 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,206,170 times
Moved from VA to PA to be closer to family. We (my husband and I) would have preferred to go further south. Florida to be exact. We moved to PA in October 2012. The family we were trying to get closer to left for Florida in October 2013. And, for now, my husband and I are STUCK in PA.

No offense to anyone who loves it here but we just can't stand it. We are so desperate that I'm seriously considering just quitting my job and moving when our current lease is up.

In the meantime, I'm looking for a job in Florida.

Old 01-06-2015, 01:43 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,106,218 times
Moved out to where I currently am not knowing what to expect.
Been out here for two years and I've pretty much already got the "likes vs dislikes" stacked against each other.
There may be 40,000+ here, but there's still too much of a cliquey vibe.

Then there's the weather.
I'd much rather have it to where it doesn't get cold enough to the point where a single step sends you sliding down the entire block!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues