Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2015, 07:23 PM

38 posts, read 129,142 times

Advertisements

I'm starting to think about putting my home on the market in preparation for a move in May/June.

Looking at staging my house, I think there's some furniture I could remove that would make the house look more open and appealing. It's mainly dining room chairs, nightstands, and a couple of side chairs. I would like to do this as economically as possible, but it would definitely mean storing them somewhere off-site.

Would it be OK to put these in an insulated (not temperature-controlled) storage unit? I've never done this before so I don't really know. Everything would probably have to stay in the storage unit until the move so it would definitely be getting warmer by then, if that makes a difference. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2015, 08:24 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,086,830 times
I have had stuff stored in a facility in Cool Spring for 5 years and everything is fine (except for how much I have paid over the years). It's on the top floor of a 4 story building and is not climate controlled. The other floors are though. It's toasty in the summer. Unless you are storing vinyl records, I don't think the heat is an issue. It's moisture that could cause some trouble. I wouldn't use one of the outdoor ones that's like a garage. Bugs. Rain. PM me if you want the name of the place I used. Have been very happy with it. Very safe. Well lit.

Old 01-03-2015, 07:13 AM

7,244 posts, read 7,066,230 times
Heat is hard on a few things but humidity is harder. Having said that, decluttering is an excellent idea when selling your home.

Consider storing these items in your garage if they are just a few things. You can cover them with sheets so it doesn't look so bad. Buyers won't be bothered by it so long as you don't make it look like you are hiding something.

We boxed up many things - books, toys, extra dishes - and stacked the boxes where one of the cars would go in the garage. That left room for someone to see the whole garage. We didn't have to pay to move them or store them and we didn't have to worry about them in a facility far away.

Old 01-03-2015, 10:04 AM

38 posts, read 129,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Consider storing these items in your garage if they are just a few things.
I wish I had a garage to store the items in, but unfortunately I don't. The only storage space I have is a small attic that is only accessible by a ladder. Because of the way it's built, I won't be able to put the furniture up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues