Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 12:25 PM

12 posts, read 55,764 times

Advertisements

Bozeman, MT You described it in your original post, it is exactly what you described.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2008, 02:58 PM

43 posts, read 160,255 times
ksaunmt-

Bozeman Mt. - rocks! I spent some time there this summer. I also saw Livingston and South of Bozeman into Wyoming. Yellowstone- the Grand Teton Range - They literally took my breath away and tears came to my eyes. I even met with an administrator who would be in need of a special education teacher for next year. More tears came to my eyes when I saw the salary I would be offered. Money isn't everything, this I know. If it were, I wouldn't be a teacher - but when you are single, there is only so much you can cut. Montana has very low teacher salaries.

However, you were correct in assuming that Bozeman would be great place - it is - except for that one thing. If I could navigate around that - and I will keep my eyes open/ears open - I would like that area. Thanks for your thought.

Old 01-09-2008, 05:35 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,159,097 times
I've lived in Knoxville for over two years.

I like it here. Not sure if I will stay or not, though.

A few things to consider.

First of all, the pollution in Knoxville is surprisingly high. It's always on the asthma "bad' list.

Cost of living may be the same as western New York, or slightly higher. Not sure.

It is not easy getting a teaching job. Most jobs go to locals. Also, pay is low.

People are very polite. Get farther into the country and it is a crap shoot. Some are friendly and some don't like outsiders and sometimes that can be scary.

Depending on the county, there can be a different brand of justice, if you know what I mean.

The area is conservative and all that it entails. That can be good or bad, depending on your view.

Not trying to be negative. You could move here and it could be perfect for you. Depends on your mindset and the circumstances.

Having said all that, I like it here. All and all it has been a good experience.

I've only lived in a couple of places. Massachusetts had a huge cost of living. Florida ended up having a fairly high cost of living and terrible pay. Here, it is medium cost of living and low pay. So, given that, it has been fine here.

Hope this helps!

Old 01-11-2008, 02:50 PM

hiknapster-

Thank you for the straight-forward post. I have seen your posts on the Knoxville forum and would expect nothing less! I have been to the Knoxville area twice now but to say that I know it would be naive.

Most importantly, I know I am not really looking for the PERFECT place - just a place I know where I will fit in. And if that falls slightly short, I want a nice view

Old 01-11-2008, 04:12 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,991,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc0270 View Post
goldenmom7500-

I just spent a good amount of time on the utah.gov website- wow - now I have another place to add to my list-

If you had 3 things a person "should" know about the area - what would they be?

Thanks!
Hi,

1. Friendly people

2. The Mormon issue - both pros and cons

3. Four seasons, fantastic mountains, some air pollution issues due to the "basin" problem; nice sense of "scale" - you're not always commuting as in DC, LA, etc.

Old 01-15-2008, 11:15 AM

22 posts, read 117,440 times
Is California out of the question. Yosemite is beautiful and the central valley is very affordable.

Old 01-15-2008, 12:04 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,075,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc0270 View Post
NChomesomeday-

I have heard that Bellevue is rated very high and the salaries there are among the best in the area. How far is "far" in order to find a nice place to live?
Sorry it took so long to reply!

I guess it depends on your budget. Issaquah used to be reasonable (and probably good schools) but I think it's gotten quite expensive (note: we left the Seattle area in 1994 but our family/friends are still there so we're in constant touch). I think the best bet is to look north towards Snohomish County but I don't know much about the school systems there. I'm fairly sure all of Bellevue (one school system) and Kirkland (another good school system) is very expensive. Redmond too.

Traffic on the Eastside is horrendous and getting worse. If you can find someplace in your budget reasonably close to where you want to be, you will love Seattle.

Old 01-15-2008, 03:30 PM

157 posts, read 445,458 times
Default Boise, ID

You really should check out Boise, ID. We just moved from there and it seems to meet all of your criteria. The foothills are right in town and the mountains close by. I don't know what the salaries for teachers are like though. Suburbs of Boise to look at would be Eagle, Meridian, Star and Kuna.

Enjoy your search!!!

Old 01-15-2008, 04:11 PM

ttessmann -

I never looked into California - always assuming that the word California meant -cantaffordya. Yosemite would probably knock my socks off - what do you mean by the central valley?

Thanks for the response!

NC-

I know I would love Seattle - but everytime I look into it I get depressed by the $$$. I know some people are okay with living $ to $ - but I would fear that.

IDtoTX -
Thanks for the specifics... Idaho is beautiful - typically the salaries are really bad, but sometimes they increase when you near the larger cities.. I will check it out!

Old 01-15-2008, 04:20 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,075,270 times
Portland is a bit cheaper than Seattle. So is Eugene, though it's a college town--but very nice. People tell me Salem is up-and-coming. Spokane is nice too, though all the way on the other side of the state.

I'm not a fan of CA's central valley but I would move back to Marin County in a heartbeat if I could afford it and didn't have to worry about my kids in the public schools. Other places I love are Petaluma, Santa Rosa, Jenner, etc. But all probably very expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues