Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 07:06 PM
HDL

3,216 posts, read 6,786,973 times

Advertisements

I've noted my responses in italic RED in the partial text of your original post jmc0270 ! I live in a court with 4 teachers and then a principle behind me. From what I can tell, they all make decent salaries, but whether you can live on them or not, that I don't know . Homes here in the Boise area and surrounding cities are very nice (JMHO) and range anywhere's from ~$150K and up.

If you want more info, just let me know ! I'm a longtime CDFer and have done quite a bit of RELO searching myself !

Best of luck in your search!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtoTX View Post
You really should check out Boise, ID. We just moved from there and it seems to meet all of your criteria. The foothills are right in town and the mountains close by. I don't know what the salaries for teachers are like though. Suburbs of Boise to look at would be Eagle, Meridian, Star and Kuna.

Enjoy your search!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc0270 View Post
<snip>
I want to live in an area with mountains. - YES

The more trailheads the better. - LOTS OF THEM

Generally I am the "outdoorsy" type. - Idaho is GREAT for people who love the outdoors!!!

I like four seasons - We've got all 4!

where I am now gets OVER 100" of snow - too much for me! - Normally very little snow, but I think so far this year we've had 21" over the course of a month. Last week we had 3 straight days of snow and got approx 1-3" each day. The past 3 winters have been the same. Not once (yet) have I seen a foot of snow on the Treasure Valley floor.

We also have humid hot days in the summer and I don't appreciate the humidity. - We're a very dry cold and no humidity like on the east coast and in the south. We do have ~ 2 months of hot weather in July / August though, without the humidity !

I am a small town girl. I like small towns for their sense of community. - I think that Boise has a small town sense of community, but believe that each individual will see things differently in this area depending upon their prior experiences and/or background.
<snip>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 03:20 PM

43 posts, read 160,535 times
HDL-
Thank you. - Forgive the ignorance... what is a CDFer?

Old 01-16-2008, 05:14 PM
HDL

3,216 posts, read 6,786,973 times
Cool Sorry jmc0270! I forget about you 'newbies' sometimes :-0 LOL

CDF stands for City Data Forum and what I mean by CDFer is that I hang out here quite a bit myself checking out other states and/or cities and trying to help people also !!!

Quote:
HDL-
Thank you. - Forgive the ignorance... what is a CDFer?

Last edited by HDL; 01-16-2008 at 05:17 PM.. Reason: HEY WAIT!!! You're NOT a newbie;-0 You've been a member for 9 mths:-0!!!

Old 01-17-2008, 07:37 AM

22 posts, read 198,530 times
It's a tough question to answer bc "one mans trash is another mans treasure", lol.

Once you do get some ideas I would definitely go to the forum for that city and ask the qustions you need to know. Most locals will tell you like it is.

I was looking at a town once and had no idea "wind" was a problem there until I started reading messgaes from the locals with comments like - the wind isnt as bad here as it is north of us, or once you get used to the wind it wont bother you, etc.

That was not the town for me because I do not like windy cities, with no offense, but I can never get warm in a city with wind.

Good luck in your search. One thing about the good ol USA is we represent every type of climate, town, scenery, etc you could ever want.

Old 01-17-2008, 03:45 PM

947 posts, read 3,572,061 times
Quote:
Hello all-

I have been lurking here for quite some time and I need to make a move - literally. I didn't want to piggyback off of someone else's quest, so I started my own. I have been traveling the country for the past year 1/2 (during school vacations etc.) to find a new home. I start loving one place- then another - then ruling out this one- then that one and so on. It is really the same "old" story. I am putting a lot of pressure on myself to find the RIGHT spot because I do not want to move there and then move here and then so on... I am not running away from anything. I just know I want more. So, here it goes - just suggest/help if you can.

Me: - 40 ish - Single - no kids - teacher by day so my salary is - well it is what it is... low.

I want to live in an area with mountains. The more trailheads the better. Generally I am the "outdoorsy" type.

I like four seasons - where I am now gets OVER 100" of snow - too much for me! We also have humid hot days in the summer and I don't appreciate the humidity.

I am a small town girl. I like small towns for their sense of community.
However, I would like to be near something of relative size for the culture/stuff to do/etc. I would also like to date and meet people in an eventual effort to settle down once I find my new home.

In my travels I have found to adore these areas: Tennessee (Smoky Mts.) - West of Denver - Evergreen/Conifer and the Seattle area. Please do not think I am limited to these areas - I am just sending out a picture of what I have liked in the past. I know there are several other mountains to look at!

I have tried ****.com - and the program does a great job and finding what you like but I am trying this resource as well. This one has a soul.

Thank you...

What about Williston, North Dakota? It's a town of about 13,000 people or so.

it's got a Super Walmart, 2 grocery stores, JC Penney's, a s,mall movie theatre, a few diner/down home cookin type places, a few halfway decent radio stations, a town pool, a movie rental place.. theres always something to do in the summer..... it doesnt get too humid in the summer even though the temps get in the 90s, there is a lack of humidity..................the winters are a bit cold and snowy but not quite as bad as where you are.

It's in a beautiful part of the state and you truly do feel likt it's a community, at least I did... eventually, you get to know ltos of people.... and while the area is full of families that have been there forever, they DO like outsiders and do welcome them as long as you show respect and understanding for the way they do things.

Old 01-17-2008, 04:16 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
My step-brother lives in Boise. He loves it. He's a psychologist and worked for the school system for awhile.

I have to say that the Dakotas sound wonderful!

Old 01-22-2008, 02:14 PM

43 posts, read 160,535 times
Thank you to everyone who responded..

It's great to see people cheering for places and to hear about new
places. If anyone has anything else to add- go for it! I will be open to suggestions for a little while longer... then I have to decide.

Old 01-22-2008, 07:09 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Maybe colorado ;somewhere place near durango. That leaves you very close to silverton and ouray which are great places. Also during the summer ;you could get a job guiding tourist in the mountains.Both ouray and silverton are very small towns with great mountains and alot of tourist during the summer. Too much snow during the winter and too steep for skiing from what I am told. Ouray is called little switzerland of america. I met several guides that in fact were teachers during the school year.I'd love to live there during the summer but the heavy snows are too much for me.I'm afraid. The drive between Durango on the million dollar hwy(Hwy 550) to Silverton and then ouray is one of the most beautiful in the world.Chevrolet filmed alot of their truck commericals there years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues