Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 05:42 PM

4 posts, read 5,450 times

Advertisements

We have about 5 pieces of art that two moving estimators quoted for crating. The third thought it was unnecessary.

Anyone have experience with shipping art along with household goods? How important is crating?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 06:47 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,015,863 times
if they are high value I would crate them. the people who actually do the packing and moving are generally young kids just trying to make a living. they will just put it in a box and you will be lucky to have some paper wrapped around it. if you care about the art, have it crated.

Old 01-22-2015, 06:58 PM

thanks for your perspective!

Old 01-22-2015, 07:07 PM

460 posts, read 1,004,389 times
What would be your reason for not doing it? If you can afford valuable art, surely you can afford to have it transported properly.

Old 01-23-2015, 07:01 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,223,846 times
There are companies that have experience in shipping valuables such as art. If it is a concern, I would
also buy insurance in case of damage. When we moved I packed all of our artwork and took that with
us (but we didn't have to do a cross country move).
Here's just one company I found on the web that specializes in shipping valuables:

Safely ship fine art, paintings & other fragiles | TSI

Old 01-23-2015, 08:58 AM

jeepman-I can afford art because I make well-considered choices in how I spend my money, not because I have so much I can just spend on a whim.(for clarification, this is not high-end, museum quality, but still considered high value by the moving industry) If crating is the "proper" way to transport it, I have no problem crating. That's my question--what constitutes proper? If fine china and glassware don't need crates, why does art? I'm trying to understand the process better.

baileyvpotter-thanks for that link. They have some helpful info there. (We can't take it with us because we're selling our car and flying instead.)

Old 01-23-2015, 05:44 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
We had a reputable moving company move us. We had stained glass windows which hung indoors in our previous home, and a heavy mirror crated. The other art was boxed. All arrived in good shape.

If the art is worth thousands, I'd have it crated.

If you hire the right mover, you should not be having your stuff packed by young untrained kids. When you interview movers, ask if their own guys will be doing the packing. If they contract it out, then I'd keep looking for movers.

When we moved, though, the guy who built the crates seemed to be freelance. He did a really nice job. I watched him. It was interesting.

Old 01-24-2015, 06:26 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,442,779 times
Five pieces, box each (you can box ourself, wrapping each in bubble wrap, then individually boxing them. Then box all five in a single crate. If handy, you can crate them yourself.

We have some semi-valuable art ($500-3000), individually boxed each then placed them in a larger box. Made sure they were on top, arrived just fine.

Last edited by Restrain; 01-24-2015 at 06:27 AM.. Reason: Tpo

Old 01-25-2015, 03:43 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,938,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by birkin View Post
jeepman-I can afford art because I make well-considered choices in how I spend my money, not because I have so much I can just spend on a whim.(for clarification, this is not high-end, museum quality, but still considered high value by the moving industry) If crating is the "proper" way to transport it, I have no problem crating. That's my question--what constitutes proper? If fine china and glassware don't need crates, why does art? I'm trying to understand the process better.

baileyvpotter-thanks for that link. They have some helpful info there. (We can't take it with us because we're selling our car and flying instead.)
Because most fine china and glassware is NOT considered art and the insurance company will treat it differently.. When art is not packaged properly and something is damaged, even if you have extra insurance the insurance company will fight tooth and nail NOT to pay for it...

Old 01-28-2015, 08:38 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,032,956 times
My art work and large mirrors are generally wrapped in a sheet, then foam sheets, then placed in a heavy duty box then the box placed between mattresses during the shipping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues