Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 03:02 PM

134 posts, read 176,501 times

Advertisements

I bought a house a year and a half ago and HATE it. I hate the neighborhood, I hate my neighbors, the commute to work has turned out to be a nightmare. While I was going through the buying process I kept trying to back out because my gut was telling me this wasn't right, but EVERYONE kept saying, Oh, don't worry about it, it will be fine, you'll love it, it's the best investment you'll ever make, etc... It was like owning was going to make the fact that I am bored with my job, have no significant other, and no local friends irrelevant.

But now I really want to sell, I'm applying for jobs in other areas, and getting the house ready to sell. I don't understand why people think I should remain here. I get the, "you take your problems with you" speech, but it makes me annoyed because if I have spent 7 years unsuccessfully dating, have made nothing other than work friends (all my really good friends live in other cities) than never translate into non-work friends, and a next door neighbor who thinks it's perfectly reasonable to use power tools at 11:30 at night, beat his wife in public, and leave his bloodhounds out all day to howl non-stop.

Has anyone ever had this happen? I wonder why "those I love" think I should stay unhappy just so I can say I own a house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 03:06 PM

530 posts, read 667,033 times
If you are so sad about what you did, then sell the house. It's that simple. You are very lucky to have others who will tell you what they are thinking, even if it's not good advice. They were probably just trying to be helpful. In the end, your happiness is important and if you are so miserable, change your experience. Good luck to you!

Old 01-27-2015, 03:58 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,252,739 times
Moving is taking a chance. Most people can handle the new place even if they don't love it. Some love it and some can't wait to leave. But its all about *change*. I'm sure some would say you never should have moved, but you had motivations for that too.

I think if you really are unhappy in a place.... go. It doesn't matter if you've lived there six months, six years or sixty. Plan well and wisely, but follow what your feelings are telling you. Or, if you live somewhere a lot say geesh, you need to upgrade, its so fillintheblank, and so on but YOU like living there, then stay. Its not about them, its about you.

Old 01-27-2015, 05:45 PM

403 posts, read 557,275 times
I agree with nightbird47. You're the one that has to be happy in a place. You are the one that's unhappy in your current place. It shouldn't matter what people say because they aren't the ones that are unhappy.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:27 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,945,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tf2014 View Post
I bought a house a year and a half ago and HATE it.
I am bored with my job, have no significant other, and no local friends irrelevant.
Were you bored with your job before?
Did you have a significant other before?
Did you have any/many local friends before?

Quote:
I get the, "you take your problems with you" speech,
but it makes me annoyed because if I have spent 7 years unsuccessfully...
Quote:
While I was going through the buying process I kept trying to back out
because my gut was telling me this wasn't right, but EVERYONE kept saying...
Have you asked THEM what they saw or knew or hoped for to make them say that then?
Beyond the obvious things described here?

Have you started therapy yet?

Old 01-28-2015, 10:47 AM

174 posts, read 590,637 times
"and a next door neighbor who thinks it's perfectly reasonable to use power tools at 11:30 at night, beat his wife in public, and leave his bloodhounds out all day to howl non-stop."

Maybe I'm wrong, but your neighbor sounds like a good reason to move right there. I had a similar circumstance when I owned my last house, and it's a prime reason I hesitate to buy another one.

Old 01-28-2015, 11:26 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,578,228 times
Sale, Sale, Sale......
Sale the house, buy you a motorhome..... That way you can change neighborhoods, due the
neighbors,
weather,
commute,
or any other reason you want.

I hate home ownership too, Use to move around every 3 years or so, Been to 15 different countries, Lived in 12 different states and always ready to move on to the next ??? Been here over 20 plus frigging years and still throwing money into this hole... the taxes are rising every year, resale value took a dive here in the last five years.. It's a never ending hassle just trying to stay on top of this crap.
Sale, Sale, Sale....... Home ownership is not for everyone... Life s short, Do what makes "YOU" happy...

Old 01-28-2015, 12:54 PM

2,286 posts, read 2,006,563 times
You've got my blessing to move.

Old 01-28-2015, 01:03 PM

2,286 posts, read 2,006,563 times
At my last apartment, I stayed 3 years. Right after my 2nd year ended, this guy moved in upstairs and I heard every single step he took. Woke me up early in the morning, woke me up at night, during the day I couldn't focus on doing anything productive. Heard the dresser drawers slamming every morning, etc. In addition to getting no sleep, it felt like a total invasion, like I couldn't even get some privacy in my own home. Possibly the worst year of my life. Glad I got out of there. No wife beating or bloodhound issues though.

There was one period of a week or two around the holidays when he was gone. That's what I was thankful for.

I hate where I live now too, for other reasons (and similar reasons as well). Gonna get out very soon. Can't wait.

Old 01-28-2015, 01:20 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,912,890 times
tf2014,
You didn't make a mistake.
Never think that way in life, you aren't a tree, you can move.
I love the idea that someone gave you about buying a motor home,
LOL, boy I would love that!
SO, get it ready and put it on the market, and sell that house!
You will feel a whole lot better, after all, you only live once.
Good Luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues