Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2015, 04:59 PM

27 posts, read 43,953 times

Advertisements

I know things can change but I'm hoping/planning on moving this November. Except for a 6 month period where I was helping a friend in Arkansas, I've lived in my current state since 2011 and I've hated it since about month 3 of living here. I can not wait to move. However, lease obligations hinder me from moving right away. I need to wait until November.

I've already started going through my things, stuff I won't need until after my move (like Christmas decorations) are already packed away. I've made my first of what I'm sure will be many trips to the consignment store to get rid of some things and I've got a couple of bags ready to donate to the thrift store down the street from me.

When it gets closer to moving day I'll pack and figure out apartments, but for now I feel like there's nothing to do in regards to moving. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 04:40 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,629,057 times
Yes. Wife and I have moved MANY times in our lives. Research moving companies and try to find the best bang for your buck unless you already have one picked out. Research the area where you'll be moving, unless you have already lived there. Contact your current utilities now and ask them what you need to do to cut off service. Research the utilities where you will be moving to, to see what you need to start up (some places require security) what's available internet, cable-wise and if you have a choice of electric companies, let's say to choose from. Check in to garbage removal and see whether the town/city provides it or you need a private hauler. If moving to another state, check motor vehicle laws to see how to register your vehicle there and get an operator's license. Research apartments NOW, ask some companies that you are interested in to send you an application if they hard-copy them. Research places in the area where you'll get your basics ie: groceries, clothing, car repair/maintenance etc.

Old 02-06-2015, 06:54 AM

I've lived there before, so I know groceries already, but that's a good idea, researching the utilities, garbage, internet and things like that

Thank you for the ideas!

Old 02-07-2015, 11:03 AM

I may or may not have made sure the Christmas decorations were packed up and started a list of the boxes that are already packed.....

It's gonna be a long 9 months.

Old 02-07-2015, 12:12 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,300,500 times
If the lease is the only thing holding you back, you can usually break those with minimal consequences if you give the LL plenty of notice and be up front with them. I have broke several leases and still was able to get positive references from them. I did lose my security deposit one time which was a small price to pay for high tailing it out of there. Talk to your LL and see what you can work out. I can't even stand 3 months in a place I don't want to be at, I couldn't imagine 9 months that's a long time. Good luck.

Old 02-07-2015, 05:05 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,876,043 times
I totally get it. We are moving in a little over 4 months and I have done everything I can do to prep so far. We have a contract on the house (with lease back). The company who hired my husband is doing all the packing and moving. I have purged a ton. Found a dog transport company who is trust worthy. Looked at the houses on the market a million times. Picked what gym we will join there. Googled my heart out about our new city. Etc.

I am sitting on my hands now. And I am not working so I am bored out of my mind. I dont want to start anything new because I am sure I will get busy soon. I don't want to work on the house because its an "as is" sale. I don't want to shop. We don't "need" anything and our lives are going to be changing drastically, there is no point.

I have to find something just to keep busy...I just don't know what

Old 02-08-2015, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
If the lease is the only thing holding you back, you can usually break those with minimal consequences if you give the LL plenty of notice and be up front with them. I have broke several leases and still was able to get positive references from them. I did lose my security deposit one time which was a small price to pay for high tailing it out of there. Talk to your LL and see what you can work out. I can't even stand 3 months in a place I don't want to be at, I couldn't imagine 9 months that's a long time. Good luck.
That's a good idea, to see if I can get out of the lease early. I'll have to talk with my landlord tomorrow, and see if there's a way I can do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues