Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2015, 01:01 PM

797 posts, read 1,748,525 times

Advertisements

I should provide some background info- I was approved for SSDI last year. I am permanently disabled but am up for review in 3 years. My disability attorney says this is likely because I'm "young" and "educated" and so SSDI likes to keep a close eye on recipients like me. I know it's important to continue to go to the doc once you get approved. No issues there as my health has gotten worse since I got approved! I am at the docs more now than ever.

Anyways, my concerns are that me relocating out of state will "look bad" somehow in the eyes of SSDI. I am considering relocating to Houston because they have hospitals there that specialize in my rare conditions. Obviously I'd continue going to the doctors once I move there. However, I am worried that the new doctors won't be an advocate for me. My doctors here where I live now all told me that I am severely disabled and understand the scope of what I am dealing with and how it impacts my daily life. However I was reading some comments from people in Facebook groups that talk about doctors not taking them seriously. And those doctors are the "experts"! One girl said her doctor said "you're too young to go on disability, I am not going to write anything to support that notion!" sadly there are still people that think you must literally be a paraplegic or be on your death bed in order to get SSDI.

My concern is that if I stay here, where the docs don't really know how to manage my care or help me that I will just slowly get worse (which is what has happened over the years!). Moving to Houston will hopefully give me a chance to feel better or at least have a better quality of life. My diseases are progressive so I know there is no cure. So do I stay here with sub-par care but guaranteed disability? Or relocate where I may get better care but potentially risk losing SSDI?

Has anyone here relocated out of state while on SSDI? What was your experience? Did you notify SSDI to tell them who your new doctors were??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 03:19 PM

9,319 posts, read 16,655,876 times
It is a federally funded program and benefits should not be affected.
Moving to Another State With Social Security Disability | eHow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues