Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2015, 07:04 AM

4 posts, read 5,968 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are planning to move cross country in the beginning of April. We are newly retired and in the interest of saving money we are planning to either move with a U-haul or Upack. We did consider selling everything but the cost to replace it would be too much. We also will be traveling with our dog and we prefer to take her with us (the thought of having her fly scares me). Also we are hoping to drive on route 80 but I read that the weather can be bad at that time of the year. Any advice would be much appreciated!
We will also be towing a small car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 08:53 AM

34,125 posts, read 83,117,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivergirl342 View Post
My husband and I are planning to move cross country...
We are newly retired...

We did consider selling everything but...
We also will be traveling with our dog...

Any advice would be much appreciated!
If the value of your furniture is high enough to justify carting it cross country...
then hire a proper mover (or at least pods) to do that for you.

Then drive the car with the dog in it.
Allow a couple of weeks to actually enjoy that journey.

Old 02-16-2015, 12:13 PM

7,528 posts, read 13,662,576 times
In your post in the CT forum, you said you were going to Temecula, CA, which is about 75 miles south of LA. How far west on I-80 were you thinking of driving ? Since it would take you to San Francisco, CA, which is 500 miles north of Temecula.

ISTM a more southern route such as this would be preferable. Avoiding both I-80 thru Wyoming, and I-70 thru Colorado. And the I-80 congestion around Chicago.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=H...&t=m&z=4&via=1

Old 02-16-2015, 10:13 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,039,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
In your post in the CT forum, you said you were going to Temecula, CA, which is about 75 miles south of LA. How far west on I-80 were you thinking of driving ? Since it would take you to San Francisco, CA, which is 500 miles north of Temecula.

ISTM a more southern route such as this would be preferable. Avoiding both I-80 thru Wyoming, and I-70 thru Colorado. And the I-80 congestion around Chicago.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=H...&t=m&z=4&via=1

Yep, if the OP can go south and pick up I-10 they can avoid a lot of snow and ice. Even I-40 will go through parts of AZ with snow, so go south ASAP!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues