Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 05:21 PM

91 posts, read 112,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjames0932 View Post
Hi all, I am new to this so please be patient with me. I am 23 years old and recently graduated from college in Florida. I have also lived here in central Florida my entire life. At this point I am really ready to leave Florida and build my life somewhere else. I am really not sure where I'd like to live however I have been doing some research and am seeing that I need to stay in the more southern states to not have to deal with such a drastic climate change. I am really open to anywhere but more importantly somewhere with a low to moderate cost of living. I would appreciate any suggestions especially anybody that has ever just picked up and moved alone. Thanks.
I too live in Central FL and did not graduate long ago. I am VERY tired of it, but am under an entirely different set of living circumstances than you. It's too damn hot here and I've lived here a long time.

Check out North Carolina, Charlotte-area. Depending on where you live in Central FL, NC can be around the same cost of living. Keep in mind they do have state income tax though (flat tax of around 5.7%).

EDIT-Just read first page, haha. Good luck when you check it out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 02:53 AM

9,470 posts, read 10,803,534 times
Quote:
Hi all, I am new to this so please be patient with me. I am 23 years old and recently graduated from college in Florida. I have also lived here in central Florida my entire life. At this point I am really ready to leave Florida and build my life somewhere else. I am really not sure where I'd like to live however I have been doing some research and am seeing that I need to stay in the more southern states to not have to deal with such a drastic climate change. I am really open to anywhere but more importantly somewhere with a low to moderate cost of living. I would appreciate any suggestions especially anybody that has ever just picked up and moved alone. Thanks.

Florida climate and the climate of the rest of the south are two different things. The summer heat and humidity is the same, but in the winter there is cold and snow in many parts of the south. Here in Tennessee we had several ice storms in the past two weeks. Tomorrow an snow storm will move up from Mississippi, Alabama and move into Georgia, east Tennessee and then move into the Carolinas. The average high in winter in Tennessee is around 49, but this year it seems to be much lower. Don't get me wrong, our climate is much much easier than places in the North, but we do get a limited amount of real winter weather here. Its a short season, but that doesn't help when its 25 and snowing. Florida is one of the few places in the US that one can totally escape winter, anywhere north of the Florida border is capable of getting winter weather. In fact I have heard even the panhandle of Florida occasionally gets some snow.

Old 02-25-2015, 06:12 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,199,743 times
Quote:
Sadly I didn't really take advantage of all the resources my senior year of college, mainly because I've always had a stable and well paying job and benefits for a young person. My field is in healthcare so this pretty much allows me to go where ever there are hospitals and doctors office. I have plenty of work experience so it's just a matter of pinning down a location but so far I am strongly considering South Carolina, Georgia, and the Charlotte area as I have vacationed in these places growing up and found them very pleasant. My plan is to take an updated visit to these areas to get a feel of them as I'm sure they may have changed since I've last visited. I appreciate everyone's responses greatly!
Are you a registered nurse? If you are, there are opportunities for nurses that give them temporary assignments all over the country. That would be a great way to really get a good idea of what life in a particular city/area was like. A friend of mine's daughter did this for three or four years before she settled down ... right here in her hometown, married to a guy she went to high school with.

Old 02-25-2015, 06:36 AM

7 posts, read 5,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Are you a registered nurse? If you are, there are opportunities for nurses that give them temporary assignments all over the country. That would be a great way to really get a good idea of what life in a particular city/area was like. A friend of mine's daughter did this for three or four years before she settled down ... right here in her hometown, married to a guy she went to high school with.

No I'm not a nurse, although my family has been pushing me to do that and a lot of other things for sometime now, however that's not where my heart is. I'm sure it would make things a lot easier as far as relocating though because practically everywhere needs nurses seems like.

Old 02-25-2015, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Florida climate and the climate of the rest of the south are two different things. The summer heat and humidity is the same, but in the winter there is cold and snow in many parts of the south. Here in Tennessee we had several ice storms in the past two weeks. Tomorrow an snow storm will move up from Mississippi, Alabama and move into Georgia, east Tennessee and then move into the Carolinas. The average high in winter in Tennessee is around 49, but this year it seems to be much lower. Don't get me wrong, our climate is much much easier than places in the North, but we do get a limited amount of real winter weather here. Its a short season, but that doesn't help when its 25 and snowing. Florida is one of the few places in the US that one can totally escape winter, anywhere north of the Florida border is capable of getting winter weather. In fact I have heard even the panhandle of Florida occasionally gets some snow.
I think I could definitely handle a difference in climate especially if like you say it is a short season. I've never even seen snow but I would be happy to experience that and actually have some seasons for a change. Our winter here lasted a whole 2 days lol

Old 02-25-2015, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keifus View Post
I too live in Central FL and did not graduate long ago. I am VERY tired of it, but am under an entirely different set of living circumstances than you. It's too damn hot here and I've lived here a long time.

Check out North Carolina, Charlotte-area. Depending on where you live in Central FL, NC can be around the same cost of living. Keep in mind they do have state income tax though (flat tax of around 5.7%).

EDIT-Just read first page, haha. Good luck when you check it out!
Lol thanks I have a lot of thinking to do and it seems like a lot of people recommend Charlotte which is great because I do have a little family there so I wouldn't be completely alone. I am just really looking forward to getting out of here and the fact that I may actually get to experience more than one season is very exciting! Did we even have a winter this year? Lol if we did I sure missed it

Old 02-25-2015, 08:06 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,946,279 times
It would also be helpful to know why you think you need to leave Florida. Without knowing that, people could inadvertently suggest places that have similar issues.

Old 02-25-2015, 08:25 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,099,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Rather than worry about 'where to move', I think you should worry about finding a job first. That would determine where you move. What if the place you decide to move has few if any jobs in your field? Do you stay there, working minimum wage jobs just to live there or do you move somewhere else? What if the only job you're offered in your new place sucks? Do you stay there in a job you hate just because it's in a place you like or do you look for a better job somewhere else?
I would like to vote in the opposite direction. If your skills are at all marketable, you are in the rare time in your life when you can decide where to live. Don't let an employer dictate it. A few years ago I made the decision for myself and have been blissfully happy since. That doesn't mean to move without a job lined up, but pick the top cities first and then search for jobs in them. Make sure you are picking cities that are realistic given your requirements. IE, without a specific job field moving to San Fran would be absurd.

On the other hand, you should really look into Charlotte, NC. The weather is great, the vibe is not Florida, the cost of living is very low, and unemployment is low. The same could be said for Winston-Salem or the Raleigh area.

If you decide that NC isn't right for you, another good option to look into would be Albuquerque, NM. The area is regularly underrated because people just don't know the geography of the Mountain West. Depending on what you want, another very solid southern option is Atlanta.

Old 02-25-2015, 10:28 AM

2,852 posts, read 1,613,441 times
All of the Southern States, minus Florida, have a state income tax.

AL 5.0%
AR 7.0%
GA 6.0%
LA 6.0%
MS 5.0%
NC 7.75%
SC 7.0%
TN 6.0%

You may want to consider that as well. Living in Florida (I hope you're a Nole!) as I once did, I was saddened to see the difference in pay when you add that into the mix...

Old 02-25-2015, 10:35 AM

2,852 posts, read 1,613,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
..... another very solid southern option is Atlanta.
As someone who lived there for a good many years, I'd not suggest Atlanta to anybody...
Traffic is horrible - regardless of where you are and where you are going and what time you're going there.

I used to live 12 miles from work, and on the best days, it took an hour to get home... and no, I wasn't walking... but I may as well have....

It's a nice place to visit, and I know there's millions that live there - but this guy's not gonna do THAT again...

I think she needs to move out of Central Florida and try living in a place like Melbourne or Stewart, Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues