Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 04:55 PM

14 posts, read 17,029 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are thinking of moving out of state. We have a house we would need to sell before we move. Been living in our home town pretty much all our lives. We've gotten everything we can out of it and are unhappy. My husband isn't much of a "take charge" kind of person so I am doing most of the research and what not. My mind is slowly imploding. We put the house up for sale. It could take weeks, months or even years to sell. We aren't really in a position to move before it sells. Can't afford mortgage AND rent.
In the mean time, we peruse the job market in the new state. Again, difficult to apply since we don't know when the house will sell. Never put a house on the market. Have NO idea how it works, how long do we have to move out when it sells, etc... So, It sells, we pack up and drive to a city. No place to live yet and no jobs. Where does one stay temporarily WITH a moving van packed with your entire life? I'm just trying to wrap my brain around the order of things. Can't rent a place in new town until old place sells, can't get a new job until we are actually IN new city. My job is non transferable. Husband's could be but doubtful he would.
Am I making sense? The perfect scenario would have us with $5000 in our pocket to move, set up a rental home/apt and have a buffer of a few weeks to find work. Oh, and throw a dog and cat into that mix. Traveling with animals.... Can anyone talk me off this ledge? We desperately want to leave this town and are willing to be patient but I need a plan.
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 05:51 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,768,301 times
Well I don't know where to start. It sounds as if you are really disorganized! Do you have any money saved up or are you relying completely on the sale of your house?

Moving isn't going to make you happy. You need to find happiness within yourself.

Do you have an idea where you want to live? Looking for a job is there a place you can rent that is somewhat center?

Old 03-10-2015, 06:06 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,457,078 times
Talk to a realtor to get a better handle on what the process of selling and closing on your present home. If your husband finds work out of town he can relocate to new town staying at extended stay hotel while you stay until ready to close on your current home. After moving to new location, transfer your belongings to a storage unit until more permanent housing is found. This may not be the best solution to your problem but at least it is something to consider if you can't come up with a better one.

Old 03-10-2015, 06:26 PM

18,414 posts, read 19,051,059 times
try not to panic. once your house is sold it will take at least 30 to 40 days to go through escrow. what you should be doing now if you haven't already is to get rid of all your extra stuff that is not essential. old pots and pans, decorator items that have no space for. clean house. so when it is time to move all you do is have the movers put the furniture in the truck. pack everything in boxes now that you don't need so they will be ready to go.

some cities have long stay hotels. there also may have apartments that have 6 month leases. one of you can go first and get things started while the other stays behind.

make sure your house is show ready and clean so it will look good to a buyer. make sure you have it priced to sell and it will. best of luck

Old 03-10-2015, 06:40 PM

34,114 posts, read 83,076,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvdiznee View Post
I'm just trying to wrap my brain around the order of things.
Start with paragraphs and small statements.

With those paragraphs and small statements stack the "to do" stuff into sequence.
Don't clutter up the work plan with peripheral thoughts.

Quote:
Small statements
My husband and I are thinking of moving out of state.
We have a house we would need to sell before we move.

The perfect scenario would have us with $5000 in our pocket to move,
set up a rental home/apt and have a buffer of a few weeks to find work.

Never put a house on the market. Have NO idea how it works,
how long do we have to move out when it sells, etc...

So, It sells, we pack up and drive to a city.
No place to live yet and no jobs.

My job is non transferable. Husband's could be but doubtful he would.
Where does one stay temporarily WITH a moving van packed with your entire life?

Peripheral Thoughts:
Oh, and throw a dog and cat into that mix.
Traveling with animals....

Can anyone talk me off this ledge?

We desperately want to leave this town and are willing to be patient but I need a plan.
Thank you!

Been living in our home town pretty much all our lives.

We put the house up for sale. It could take weeks, months or even years to sell.
We aren't really in a position to move before it sells. Can't afford mortgage AND rent.

In the mean time, we peruse the job market in the new state.
Again, difficult to apply since we don't know when the house will sell.

We've gotten everything we can out of it and are unhappy.
My husband isn't much of a "take charge" kind of person so I am doing most of the research
and what not. My mind is slowly imploding.

Can't rent a place in new town until old place sells,
can't get a new job until we are actually IN new city.

Am I making sense?

Last edited by MrRational; 03-10-2015 at 06:49 PM..

Old 03-10-2015, 07:37 PM

730 posts, read 1,315,928 times
We just moved from one state to another. No matter how well it goes, you will have to endure stress, lots of it.

First, I would begin by cleaning out your house, getting rid of everything you can. And, be ruthless. If you haven't used it or worn it in the last year, time to donate. Give away absolutely everything that you can. You'll be shocked at how much you have. I was, and I'm not a saver. It will also make selling your home much easier.

If you can sell your home furnished, that helps.

Rent in your new location so you can be sure it's where you really want to live; if it's the right location, then you'll want to look at various communities. They really do have personalities; we knew, as soon as we entered one community, it was where we wanted to be. We're waiting on the completion of a beautiful town home (will be done end of June).

We've done this with two cats!

Old 03-10-2015, 09:05 PM

1,515 posts, read 2,276,473 times
Some advice from a sudden move a few summers ago. You all may need to divide and conquer. My husband moved to the new state while I dealt with kids and dog and elderly cat back in our old state. He got a job, moved into an extended stay place and scouted out the rental markets for a house. He did the leg work in our new state and did this for a few months.

Meanwhile I did the grunt work of suddenly getting our house on the market and arranging a move. I worked off an extensive to-do list for months and we got it sold. I really worked at pruning the stuff we had....garage sales, donations, and finally the junk guys. We had maintained the house pretty well however buyers nowadays are a finicky lot and I had to do a ton to get it market ready. We also priced it to sell. When all said and done, took about 4 months to close out everything. Some of the most stressful moments in my life and very overwhelming at times.

Good luck and I feel for you. It can be done but you will gain a few grey hairs in the process, lol.

Old 03-11-2015, 07:41 AM

14 posts, read 17,029 times
Thank you all for your input. I am normally a very organized person.
Yes, we have ideas on where we want to move. Making a few visits over the next few months to check things out.
All I needed was some rational thinking and you all provided :-)

Old 03-11-2015, 03:10 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,673,894 times
Start to de-clutter and throw stuff away. Be brutal, everything goes unless it has a purpose and you absolutely can't part with it. Sell or give away stuff. That lightens your load immediately.

Get your house ready to sell, do the stuff you need to in order to sell it--painting, landscaping, sprucing things up, contact a few realtors when you're almost ready. Interview a few at least.

You need more money saved than a few weeks. Save more.

When your house goes into contract, try to get a longer closing date. I actually did 60 days. In that time or if you have less, you'll need to rent a place, either by sight or online. You should start looking at places you'd want to rent now and have an idea of what the rent would be, deposit, location, neighborhood, all of that, etc. Can they rent to you within a few weeks or month time would be the question to ask. Then, you know if they are available under short notice. Having all of these ducks in a row will help immensely.

Once the house goes into contract and you're sure it's solid you can start sending out resumes. Have your resume polished up in the mean time and cover letter formats at least so you can have that part ready, too.

Once the house closes, you'll need to stay in a hotel a few nites or more, day before it closes, trip to new location and day before you unpack into rental.

Once you're in a rental, you maximize your job search. That becomes your full time job, finding a job.

Start making lists now, getting names together, costs of things, rentals for short notice, etc., etc. I found being organized w/ things is about 80% of the battle.

Get the pet's records together and a carrier for him/her. Little things help a lot, even if only making you feel more in control of the process.

Old 03-11-2015, 03:19 PM

22,681 posts, read 36,846,374 times
You sound like you are engaging in a lot of "magical thinking". An interstate move is a pretty big undertaking. You're selling your house? Are you using a realtor? They should certainly be able to tell you how long it might take based on several factors, as well as how long it takes to close on a house in your area. If you're selling your house yourself, you should consider hiring a realtor, because I can't see you handling this yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues