Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 07:37 AM

7,245 posts, read 7,072,982 times

Advertisements

Mark your MUST HAVE boxes in a very specific way - I used a stripe of red duct tape.

Must have:

Sheets & towels
Basic dishes and silverware
Everyday clothes - including pjs
Bathroom stuff that you are not hand carrying (hand carry your meds, etc)
A few cleaning supplies (handi wipes are versatile, a bar of soap goes a long way)

That way you can snag those boxes as they come off the truck and set them aside. You're going to want to clean up, eat & sleep after a full day of unloading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 07:39 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Mark your MUST HAVE boxes in a very specific way - I used a stripe of red duct tape.

Must have:

Sheets & towels
Basic dishes and silverware
Everyday clothes - including pjs
Bathroom stuff that you are not hand carrying (hand carry your meds, etc)
A few cleaning supplies (handi wipes are versatile, a bar of soap goes a long way)

That way you can snag those boxes as they come off the truck and set them aside. You're going to want to clean up, eat & sleep after a full day of unloading.

Our must have items go in the vehicle I am driving with the animals in it and never loaded on a moving truck.

Old 03-23-2015, 08:31 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
yes make Goodwill and thrift stores your best friend when you don't want to drag unneeded items with when moving . all I can say is that Goodwill has made quite a bit of money off of us and I don't intend to do a cross state or cross country move anymore .

Old 03-23-2015, 09:19 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,796,607 times
My moving question is not worth a thread of its own, but it's a concern of mine.

I inherited some valuable gold jewelery that I will be taking with me to my new home 2,000 miles west. What's the safest way to transport it?

I wouldn't pack it into a POD or other moving system accessible to others. If I pack it into my car, it could be stolen along with the car. Perhaps carrying it on my person in a messenger bag at all times would be best. It's a few piles and a bit heavy.

Ideally, I would fly to my destination city and open a vault, but it's too late now. I will be using ground transportation.

Old 03-23-2015, 10:09 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
My moving question is not worth a thread of its own, but it's a concern of mine.

I inherited some valuable gold jewelery that I will be taking with me to my new home 2,000 miles west. What's the safest way to transport it?

I wouldn't pack it into a POD or other moving system accessible to others. If I pack it into my car, it could be stolen along with the car. Perhaps carrying it on my person in a messenger bag at all times would be best. It's a few piles and a bit heavy.

Ideally, I would fly to my destination city and open a vault, but it's too late now. I will be using ground transportation.
what about buying a portable safe with a key and you only have the key ? they make several and Im sure it would be a lil heavy but you could pack it and no one would know what you have in there . Just a suggestion

Old 03-23-2015, 12:03 PM

22,333 posts, read 29,421,443 times
Great tips. I'm moving in May-local to local so it won't be that crazy as my cross country moves before. I moved into my bf's apt in Sept and now we're getting an apt together so I need him to go through all his crap and throw it out, LOL. So that will start this week. Time flies and it will be May 16th before we know it.

Old 03-23-2015, 12:28 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,796,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
what about buying a portable safe with a key and you only have the key ? they make several and Im sure it would be a lil heavy but you could pack it and no one would know what you have in there . Just a suggestion
But I'd still have to carry it with me in some way.

Old 03-23-2015, 12:47 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,401,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
But I'd still have to carry it with me in some way.

If you can carry it someone else can carry it! A safe just
marks the spot" valuables in here!

Is there someone you trust in your present location? Have them FedEx the jewelry to you, insured, of course. FedEx it after you arrive so you are there to receive and sign for it. Take detailed pictures, perhaps have it appraised if you have time.

Old 03-23-2015, 01:01 PM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
I have moved many times, and we're doing it again

I do have many little hints, suggestions, etc, and would love to hear others suggestions, so lets start a misc suggestions board

Here's my starters, in no particular order of importance--

realize everything will take longer than you think and plan accordingly

realize you will get stressed out and allow for it

close your kitchen at least 1-2 weeks before your move out date so you can get rid of uneaten foods, clean out fridge, etc just use fast food, convenience foods, etc

Get rid of the small stuff first, it takes the longest! Stuff like papers, knickknacks, etc,
Seems the little stuff takes the most time!

Ask yourself, how would I feel on the other end, opening a box and finding this? Don't pack up every little piece of junk thinking you will need it, its time and money spent for nothing!

Same with those Pods---just toss everything in there and dump out at the other end You will have one h*ll of a mess sorting out at the destination, and remember, you pay for every day you use that Pod!

Before moving get a small storage unit or safe deposit box to store your valuables, papers, jewelry, etc, NOT the same storage unit you will use for other stuff, NOT one others will have access to. Every move, I've had such "disappear" secure the valuables first, before you have movers, packers, etc crawling all over your place

Other random thoughts---post away!
Don't leave your trash for the new tenants to clean up.

Old 03-23-2015, 05:03 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,401,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Don't leave your trash for the new tenants to clean up.

Ummm...is this directed at me? And why? I've never left trash for new tenants......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues