Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 05:35 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,310,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
My moving question is not worth a thread of its own, but it's a concern of mine.

I inherited some valuable gold jewelery that I will be taking with me to my new home 2,000 miles west. What's the safest way to transport it?

I wouldn't pack it into a POD or other moving system accessible to others. If I pack it into my car, it could be stolen along with the car. Perhaps carrying it on my person in a messenger bag at all times would be best. It's a few piles and a bit heavy.

Ideally, I would fly to my destination city and open a vault, but it's too late now. I will be using ground transportation.
Why don't you insure it and ship it to yourself, via UPS, FedEx or USPS?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 05:38 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,310,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Our must have items go in the vehicle I am driving with the animals in it and never loaded on a moving truck.
I'm with you on this. Instead of closing the kitchen, live the way you'd live once you get there. Very spare accessories but why close the kitchen and, what? Eat out?

I've moved twice with nothing but two suitcases. It's sort of fun starting over as long as you aren't too attached to your old stuff. Speaking of old stuff, if you're moving china that you've never used or maybe use once a year PULL THAT STUFF OUT AND USE IT!! Like every Sunday. Or better yet, use it for your everyday dishes. Your family is worth it!

Old 03-23-2015, 07:31 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,098,224 times
I've moved four times in the past six years and these are my tips.

The morning of the move, wash your bed linens, duvet cover, mattress pad, pillow cases and put all of your clean bed clothes along with your pillows and decorative pillows in a superlarge hefty bag and put it in your car. That way you can find your linens immediately so even if you get in late, you can sleep in clean sheets.

Wrap book cases with books in them in plastic wrap.

Unpack your kitchen first.

Old 03-23-2015, 08:12 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,396,101 times
When I said "close the kitchen" I meant just minimal use. This isn't the time to cook up pot roasts, etc!

I try to use up anything I can cook easily, then, just simple things, sandwiches, frozen/canned stuff, etc

Whatever works, to each their own, I just find it easier to shut down usage of the kitchen to the bare essentials. That way, you can get your kitchen gear packed, too!

Old 03-23-2015, 10:07 PM

Of course, clean out closets, old clothes, etc. I've found the initial purge is never enough, I usually end up taking stuff I regret upon arrival.

This time, I'm doing it a bit differently. I had one afternoon I went trough the closet and got rid of a lot, but there's still more I can purge. I set up a bag in the laundry room, and as I wash clothes, I ask myself is this really worth keeping? Just a few items at a time, I'm finding that bag is filling up! I already have another bag for Goodwill! BTW, I always wash items before donating them. The Goodwill/charities are not a garbage can!

Old 03-23-2015, 10:55 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,320,893 times
-protectyourmove.gov
-Remember to cut off utilities the day after you're out of the place
-If you have a subscription to something (magazines, newspapers, catalogs, boxes, etc.), do a change of address
-Wardrobe boxes
-Rent green moving boxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post

The morning of the move, wash your bed linens, duvet cover, mattress pad, pillow cases and put all of your clean bed clothes along with your pillows and decorative pillows in a superlarge hefty bag and put it in your car. That way you can find your linens immediately so even if you get in late, you can sleep in clean sheets.

I agree with you on packing clean lines in the car, but laundry the morning of the move? NO WAY (at least for me!)!!!!

Old 03-24-2015, 05:00 AM

As you sort, make sure to label!

You will forget---was that trash, a donation, for the garage sale, Ebay, etc, etc. You think you will know from just looking inside the bag/box, but trust me, after a day or so it all becomes a blur. Label clearly with something that won't come off. For bags, I write on heavy stock paper, then staple to the bags. For boxes, I usually write on the box in bright ink.

You might want to order an additional trash can, or 2, or 3, believe me, you will be using them. Where we live, its $0 per additional trash can, but beats paying dump fees!

Old 03-24-2015, 04:11 PM

Quote:

I wash my linens a few days before and pack. Don't forget, you have to disconnect the w/d! For the last few days, just use old linens, and toss them when you leave. I've always packed for a long-term move, that is, stuff will be stored for 1-3 months, possibly more. You don't want body oils on stuff you pack, better to use old and toss it if you're going to be storing anything.

If an in-town, or same day move, I like to do like the AP, and have stuff ready to grab for my first night. I use a picnic basket, and pack paperware, plastic utensils, or plastic dishes, etc, along with paper towels, wipes, etc, enough to get you started at your new abode. Oh, and, I always pack a jar of coffee, along with some sugar and creamer packs. Nothing worse than waking up in a new environment and can't find your coffee

Also, pack a "survival kit" in something distintive, like a basket, or box different than your packing boxes. Pack it last. Include stuff like basic toiletries, such as soap, toothpaste & brushes (just buy a set of new ones), an all-purpose wash for hair, body, face, hands, toilet paper, tissues, paper towels, trash bags, you will probably be exhausted when you arrive and don't need to be spinning in circles, looking for TP, etc, or running to the nearest convenience store for such!

For me, I carry a jar of coffee in my purse---lol!

Old 03-24-2015, 04:13 PM

Quote:

I vote to unpack at least one bathroom first!

Old 03-24-2015, 09:21 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,251,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Ummm...is this directed at me? And why? I've never left trash for new tenants......
We were pressed for time. I had actually loaded most of the packed food in various boxes, but had a bunch I wasn't taking that I left. And a microwave. The neighbors helping said they'd clean it up for the food. I said go for it. They said the place looked nice and clean when I got my deposit back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues