Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2015, 03:50 PM

3 posts, read 2,041 times

Advertisements

Hey everybody! Thanks for looking to possibly help me. I have been living in Boston and New England for my whole life. I am looking to move with my boyfriend but we don't where we might like to settle (I'd be happy in New England , I find the seasons nostalgic, but my bf hates the winters). He grew up in New England also. Our immediate families are in New England, his parents will retire down South in North Carolina.

We're 25, no kids with no interest in kids for 5+ years, plenty of student loans, no interest in buying a house at this point. If we decide we like the area, possibility of staying, buying house, having kids but not on our minds right now. Otherwise, no obligations. We're not religious. I am a registered nurse, I have hospital experience but I prefer public/community health like home care. He is a civil engineer (currently works at a gen contractor as an estimator) but is open/looking for change. Of course, our first priority is job security and having enough of an income to pay our student loans (about $2500/month for us combined. Ahhh!).

What I'm looking for: PLENTY of nature, can be forests, mountains, ocean, anything, as long as I am surrounded by it or it is very near by. Nature is my second priority. City life has become depressing. Also, being in a creative area with access to artisitc people, museums, events, etc. I'm definitely a foodie and would love to be in a place with great food (oh and I'm vegetarian!). Also, I have grown to hate traffic (an idiot driver almost killed me last month) so it'd be nice to be traffic free or at least away from "Mass-holes".

What he's looking for: he enjoys nature but it is not a priority for him. He likes his job in the city and says he needs it for his line of work. He says "I don't want to drive 20 minutes to go grocery shopping". He'd like to live in a "sports city", he love sports. His priority is getting out of New England's harsh winters. He gets most excited for moving to an area where he'll be able to golf a lot.

I'd also prefer to live in a place with minimal predujice. I am a heterosexual white woman but I am offended even by mild racism and believe in gay rights and respect for all people and economic status. Diversity is a good thing to me. This isn't a huge issue but I could never live in a place where hate crimes or severe discrimination are part of the norm.

Sorry for the long explanation but I'm really hoping for some serious insight! Overall, our priorites are job security and a place that is full of nature but is close enough to a city with warmer weather than the North East. We've contemplated North/South Carolina, Georgia, Arizona/New Mexico, and California/Oregon (even though I'd prefer winters over earthquakes, but whatever). I'd really prefer East Coast to be closer to family.

Thank you so much! Any advice is really appreciated!

Last edited by Rissy617; 04-14-2015 at 03:53 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 07:31 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,304,848 times
I'd focus on towns in decent proximities to bigger cities or military bases on the east coast for your husband's job. That should be priority #1. From there, you can narrow down your other desires for your lifestyle choices. Maybe Asheville or Charlotte, NC area?

Old 04-17-2015, 06:35 AM

3 posts, read 2,041 times
We actually considered those 2 cities, will def look into them more. thank you!

Old 04-17-2015, 07:40 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rissy617 View Post
We're 25, no kids with no interest in kids for 5+ years,
no obligations. We're not religious.

I am a registered nurse
He is a civil engineer

our priorites are job security and a place that is full of nature
but is close enough to a city with warmer weather than the North East.
I'd really prefer East Coast to be closer to family.
Go west... not south.

Old 04-17-2015, 07:51 AM

8,147 posts, read 8,348,424 times
Jacksonville, FL
Little Rock, AR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues