Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2015, 06:14 PM

2 posts, read 24,235 times

Advertisements

I've seen this question quite often in the forum but almost everyone who plans to relocate is doing so without a job lined up. I am a 20 year old single girl who plans to move from my home state of Iowa to possibly Tennessee within the next two years. It would be about a 13 hour drive. If I do move, I will just be transferred from my current job (which is nice because I'll have something familiar in a new place.)

How much would be a reasonable amount to save for this move considering I will already have a source of income when I arrive? I won't have much to move. I own a bed, dresser and one of those papasan chairs -the circular wicker ones with a cushion. Those are the biggest things I own, although I will obviously have smaller things also.

I make do right now on the salary that I have, which isn't much (retail) but how much cushion should I leave myself to make a move like this?

Thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 06:30 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,602,405 times
You'll need to estimate your housing and utility costs:

-First month's rent
-Security deposit
-Any utility security deposits (especially if you haven't had service in your own name and it's not included in the rent: water, electric, gas . . . cable? phone? Internet?)
-Your other expenses: loans, credit card payments

-Money for getting through until the first paycheck for the above and groceries, gas, odds and ends
-Health insurance payments
-Car insurance payments

-You'll also need money to register your car in the new state

- At least $1,500 in savings in case Mr. Murphy visits! You're a ways from home.

My quick and dirty calculation, not knowing anything about your circumstances is $6,000 - $8,000.

I've moved on far less, like $800, but renting a room in a boarding house is tons cheaper than getting an apartment.

Old 04-19-2015, 10:36 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingirlie View Post
I am a 20 year old single girl who plans to move ... within the next two years.
I make do right now on the salary that I have, which isn't much
Does that mean you're in COLLEGE and expect to graduate in two years with a useful
degree of the sort that have a recruiter invite you (even to TN)???

Quote:
How much would be a reasonable amount to save for this move
considering I will already have a source of income when I arrive?
And with the degree and the decent wages it pay?
At 22, without dependents, rather little cash would be needed.

otoh... WITHOUT that degree and/or real experience in a real job paying real money?
No less than a full year of living expenses .

Old 04-19-2015, 10:43 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,729,615 times
See if your employer will pay for the first few months of living, find an Extended stay type hotel with a kitchen.

Sell most of your stuff (unless the cost of those items justifies the cost of moving them). If you sell them, drive your own car full of your necessary items, you can always go back later for items you leave behind in a storage facility.

I recommend the above, because not every job or place is something people envisioned, some end up really hating it and want out, if that is you, you'll want to have little invested into the area you are living so you can move easily.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues