Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2015, 03:27 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,961,086 times

Advertisements

T minus 10 days, 13 hours, and counting.

We moved the heavy furniture on Sunday so the probably next time intensive rooms to do are the main kitchen and my closet.

For an apartment galley kitchen, it is stuffed. It is quite possible, in this time of desperation, that appliances that have not been used for years, if ever, are going to get the boot, such as the Magic Bullet, the blender, the crepe maker, and most especially
https://img0.etsystatic.com/000/0/52....270428118.jpg

But another area in question is all the crystal and dimple (right? http://www.bracton.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Schooner-BRA1.jpg )
I have mostly inherited, occasionally acquired over the years.

I don't drink beer and if I do, I take it in a mug. My wine consumption is over five different sizes of glasses which is often obtainable at Target or Ross's. I so rarely entertain, can't recall the last time I toasted with another with my own flutes.

My good china I will keep because it was a gift to me, especially bought for me (undersea or Eden, not sure, it's never been used).

But in these desperate times, it's easier to take a harsh look, especially at the things one has been carrying around for 25-35 years, especially when it is something one doesn't even look at or look at with favorable memory. Old race tee's are one thing, they can always be used for the friend who brings over the OD'ing gf for that adrenaline shot.......but why am I still carrying around my freshman blazer from a college I was at for less that a year?

So it is likely, very soon, that various stuff in the kitchen will go to Goodwill while items in the closet to the theater department.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 06:23 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,220,652 times
That Waffle Dog Iron (with the original box) may be worth something.

Old 04-20-2015, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
That Waffle Dog Iron (with the original box) may be worth something.
The thought had occurred to me but a couple of catches.

First of all, I don't have the time. I have 11 days and a handful of hours before I have to be moved out. Secondly, my family never went in for having yard or garage sales and doing such would be against that philosophy.

Finally. to do so, to go looking for a buyer or holding on to something for that reason sort of goes against the push to shed at least some stuff during a move.

Thanks for the thought, though.

Old 04-21-2015, 02:18 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,110,038 times
I've moved quite a few times over the past 22 years and have "donated" a lot of possessions each time. Why keep stuff that hasn't been used in years? And when you are doing all your own packing and having to hire a van with a couple of guys to do the moving, why pay good money to move something from one place to the other when you know in your heart will never be used again? Same thing with clothing. If it sits in your closet or dresser and hasn't been worn for at least a year, usually longer, just get rid of it. Who knows who might really benefit from our generosity?

Old 04-22-2015, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
I've moved quite a few times over the past 22 years and have "donated" a lot of possessions each time. Why keep stuff that hasn't been used in years? And when you are doing all your own packing and having to hire a van with a couple of guys to do the moving, why pay good money to move something from one place to the other when you know in your heart will never be used again? Same thing with clothing. If it sits in your closet or dresser and hasn't been worn for at least a year, usually longer, just get rid of it. Who knows who might really benefit from our generosity?
Trying to dump, ie shred, as many of old files as I have time for. Shred some at home, bring in a back pack to sort and shred at work.

Clothes are something else. Those in my dresser and laundry bags, I see a lot of, those in my closet, I hardly see at all. In fact, I see my Renfest and belly dancing outfits more than my closet clothes...primarily because they are located in a different closet.

Of course, I ought to go through and see what "can go".

Of course, the problem with clothes, especially dance clothes is two or three fold. First of all, if you are getting rid of them because you will never fit in them again, then it is giving up.

Right now, giving up especially doesn't sit with me because I am doing a pretty decent job of shedding weight but am not quite sure why. I'm guessing better eating and sleeping habits with less stress plus a positive lookout to moving on with life. Nice, but one might think this move would be adding on the stress.

But some clothes can be donated, regardless of the size issue, because of the lack of memories associated with them. It's when there are memories, that it becomes more difficult such as my dance clothes. They are echos of fun times and memories.........though high impact aerobics are certainly a thing in the past.

Of course, if they are donated, it could like the Lady Gaga donation.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:18 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,754,991 times
LOL Tamara, I have to dig out my Xena costume, we haven't been to a Ren faire in ages.

You are so close to your move. We're two months out and it seems daunting, we still have so much stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues