Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 10:18 AM

605 posts, read 705,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
Lemme explain how the household goods (HHG) business works:

The driver and loaders are not employees of the moving company.

The driver (technically an owner-operator) is a business owner; he owns the truck and pays all the expenses (truck payment, insurance, taxes, fuel, tires, maintenance, license plates, permits, scale fees, etc.) and either owns the trailer or rents it from the company.

You pay the company. The company takes their cut and then pays the owner-operator. He then pays the crew (whom he hires) to load and/or unload the trailer.

The restaurant analogy is apples-to-oranges, for two reasons:
1. Menu price reflects a low labor cost because servers are paid less than standard minimum wage; it is expected that servers make most of their money in tips.
2. Whereas the truck driver owns the truck, servers are employees, not business owners.
Actually, not all moving companies are the same. Some are what you would call brokered moving companies where the company hires third-party people to actually do the loading/unloading/shipment. Not all companies are this way. I did my research before I chose my moving company. I suggest (if you moving anytime soon) to do yours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2015, 10:59 AM

733 posts, read 853,576 times
Oh yeah, I wanted to Add that we always left Cold Drinks and $ for lunches, just didn't tip them at the end, we were Already gone. I'm not sure buying Lunch is a tip?

Old 04-26-2015, 01:10 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,904,466 times
My move took a full day and was about $800 (local move). I tipped 10% total.

Old 04-26-2015, 01:31 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,763,632 times
How Much Should You Tip Movers? Explaining Tipping Etiquette

Old 04-26-2015, 01:37 PM

5,133 posts, read 4,485,479 times
We had 6 men do our move, which included doing all the packing & setting up the furniture at the new place. They worked very hard.

We tipped each $35.

Old 04-26-2015, 02:07 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,694,658 times
Yes I even did tip the guys who did a roof why it is hard work

Old 04-27-2015, 02:52 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,162,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annilyna View Post
Actually, not all moving companies are the same. Some are what you would call brokered moving companies where the company hires third-party people to actually do the loading/unloading/shipment. Not all companies are this way. I did my research before I chose my moving company. I suggest (if you moving anytime soon) to do yours.
As a truck driver, I did plenty of research into how the HHG side of this business works when I was considering getting into the moving business.

If you know of any moving company that only uses employees, please let me know who they are. The business model I described is standard in the HHG business.

As for me, I move myself. It's not economically feasible for me to hire a moving company when most of my moves are local and I don't own a large amount of furniture or appliances.

Old 04-27-2015, 11:21 AM

488 posts, read 857,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I don't understand when tipping every type of serviceperson imaginable became the norm, but it's irritating, confusing, and expensive. Why should movers get tipped? Because they moved your furniture without destroying it? That's their JOB, after all. Why do I tip my hairdresser? Because she cut my hair nicely instead of shearing it in a stupid style and making me look like a Poodle? That's her job too. And cab drivers? why do cab drivers get tipped? They drove me to my destination, which is performing their JOB. Shouldn't tips only be given when one goes above and beyond the call of duty and not just in the course of performing one's regular duties? I don't understand this.
Because in these professions, you're paying the company, not the person doing the work.

I don't tip the coffee makers at Starbucks, or the person who plugged my take out order into a cash register unless they've done something to "WOW" me, because those people make a full salary and aren't out extra expenses or effort. That is their job, they are supplied all the food, equipment, etc.

Hairdressers - did you know that they pay to rent a chair in most salons? Then in addition to renting space, part of their fees go to the salon owner as well, plus they buy all their own supplies - shampoo, dye, etc. So, the hair dresser is lucky to get half of what you paid for that haircut. A tip is extra money for a job well done and they appreciate it enormously.

Taxis - same.

Movers, same. You pay all the money to the company and they make barely above minimum wage for all that heavy labour.

If they provide good service, I tip movers $20 each and make sure there is water, pop, and Gatorade for them as well. If the move is longer than a half day, I also buy them food. Giving them a few slices of pizza from Little Caesars $5 pizza may not be a grand gesture, but it's polite and decent thing to do if they are working hard for you.

Old 04-29-2015, 10:00 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,059,032 times
I gave my two movers $20 each after a very smooth, fast, and efficient move from a one bedroom apt to a two bedroom apartment 10 miles away.

Old 04-29-2015, 10:38 AM

605 posts, read 705,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
As a truck driver, I did plenty of research into how the HHG side of this business works when I was considering getting into the moving business.

If you know of any moving company that only uses employees, please let me know who they are. The business model I described is standard in the HHG business.

As for me, I move myself. It's not economically feasible for me to hire a moving company when most of my moves are local and I don't own a large amount of furniture or appliances.
Mayflower comes to mind. When I sat down with an in-home estimate this was one of the questions I had for the representative. She said all the loaders and drivers were in-house. Checking out their website confirms this as well. I did not sign with Mayflower, though. I went with another company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues