Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2015, 07:51 PM

1 posts, read 803 times

Advertisements

I'm starting a new job in a city 885 miles away. My employer is paying for the move. But the moving company says transit time could be two weeks. I'll be flying, so I'm trying to figure out how to schedule the flight. Go two weeks earlier than I want just in case the truck is fast? I can see spending 2-3 nights in a hotel waiting for the truck, but two weeks seems a bit much. Would appreciate hearing from anybody who's had the same challenge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 06:22 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,931,652 times
If you have preleased an apartment, you can occupy your apartment while you wait. If you have not preleased, then you will have to wait until you are in your new town, find and lease an apartment, and then move in as best you can while you wait for your things. If you send for your things outside the busiest time for movers, you might get them sooner. The mover should guarantee the things to arrive withing 2 weeks, or pay a penalty. This gives them an incentive to honor the guarantee. The guarantee is a good thing.

Consider buying a good air mattress for sleeping. We bought ours at Costco. For cooking, visit thrift stores and buy a few things to use for a couple of weeks. Then re donate the stuff.

You can also rent furniture, although I am not sure it is worth the expense for two weeks or less.

Good luck!

Old 05-06-2015, 08:36 PM

1,843 posts, read 3,919,623 times
I wonder if your employer might be open to paying for temporary housing for you, for two or three weeks. Mine used to pay for a furnished apartment near work, for a maximum of (I think?) 6 weeks for those moving across the country like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues