Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 12:32 PM

277 posts, read 442,046 times

Advertisements

We moved from Florida to Seattle right after Christmas in 2012. We had a ton of friends, my husband had a GREAT career in the fire department, but we wanted a change. Hated the weather, neither of us have ever cared for the beaches, and it was just so... blah there. We had friends who lived in Seattle that said we should come visit. I was sold before we ever got to the airport - flew over Mt. Rainier and it was a done deal for me. That was September of 2012... we got home after that trip and said that whenever one of us got a job out there we would move. December 2nd I got a great offer that I couldn't pass up, and we left Florida in our car on Dec. 26th.

Only thing I would change would be that I would NEVER make that drive again. We did it in three days and it was pure misery. SWFL to Amarillo in one 24 hour swoop. Amarillo to Vegas. And then Vegas to Seattle. Our poor dog was stressed it took her until we got to Vegas to go to the bathroom. We were both miserable from doing all that driving. Never, ever again.

The moving in part though... haven't regretted that for a second.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 01:41 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,904,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Ok, here's another thread, for all those who recently moved----WHY?

Looking at the life changing hassles, was it worth it? Was it a choice, or a necessity?

At least in reading these threads I realize I'm not alone in the confusion and stress that comes with moving. I somehow thought everyone else was so organized, everything went off without a glitch, now I realize that's not the case! This has been my 7th move since we got married, about 33 years. I've always promised to do better next time, not pack so much stuff, downsize, etc, but seems it just doesn't work out that way. When I look back at the literal mountains of crap we got rid of, I can't believe what was left over and we actually moved. And the stuff is only a part of it!

Then, there's getting the new place together, all those wires and cables Well, that's DH job, but still....then, how to organize things so you can find them. I end up buying stuff I already have becaue I can't find it!

Well, we moved because the house we were renting was sold out from under us! The owners dd offer us a chance to buy, which we declined, then they sold it to an investor who wanted us to move out so he could renovate it. Also, we no longer needed such a large home, 5/3, with our kids out of the house. So, we are in temporary rental, looking to move again in a year to our retirement home.

So, everyone, WHY did you move in the first place and was it worth it?
My most recent move was both a "choice" and a "necessity". I lived for six years in my mom's guest house behind hers and planned to be there as long as Mom was alive. I figured another few years, for sure, but she passed suddenly last Dec.. My brother 'took over' and made my life miserable for the next three months till I got my house bought and moved. I only moved 1.5 miles but it feels like a LOT further than that. The moving itself was chaotic because nephew and his wife were helping and they just threw things in boxes, loaded the pickup and drove it over! That was fun, sorting everything out and putting it away! Not!

I moved from a really small place so didn't have that much 'stuff' to move but, like you, I was still amazed at what I DID have. If all goes as planned this was my last move. I plan to stay here until I 'expire'. I've moved a ton of times over the years and don't want to anymore.

Old 06-03-2015, 03:56 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,369,736 times
I left Central New Jersey four years ago to move to Denver.

Best. Decision. Of. My. Life.

I'm so much happier here. I'm a "Wherever you go, there you are" kind of person, but I was living in the same town I was born in, with my family all around me. I was their "go to" person in times of disaster.

I'm just living my life here, and I love it. I miss my friends back in Jersey like crazy, but I've maintained all of those friendships via facebook and phone calls and visits. And I've made some amazing new friends. I bought a house. I have the dog I have waited for all my life (he's an amazing animal).

I was content in Jersey. Moving to a place where my only obligations are work and bills has added to my happiness greatly.

Old 06-05-2015, 12:21 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,290,797 times
I moved from Des Moines to Phoenix. Why? One word. Weather.

Old 06-06-2015, 11:28 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,112,133 times
Over the years I have moved several times. My more memorable ones are moving from marriage home to divorced home. Stayed there 11 years. Then moved to TX which was not a very good decision (I allowed loneliness and my son's invitation to move closer to him to influence me). Moved back to central NY a year later. Made some moves from sharing an apartment with a woman friend (another bad decision). Then to a mobile home (I liked but couldn't afford). To apartment that I liked a lot (there 11 yrs). A couple more moves after that into my current residence, a senior apartment complex. Now moving to NC in late August/early Sept. Do not like living in senior complex. Lots of really bad memories over the years that I am reminded of when I drive through particular areas. No close family here. Want freedom of anonymity. Start over. Hopefully be more active and try different activities. New friends and must remember to keep my mouth shut about personal stuff.

Old 06-07-2015, 02:50 PM

1,007 posts, read 1,125,747 times
I moved to Florida from Upstate NY in 2012. The winter of 2010 just did me in. I am pretty sure I have SAD and it seemed to be getting worse as I got older. I figured, why wait until I retire? My brother was already down here. I got a good job offer in the city where my brother lived and found a condo to rent. I am so much happier here. I think a lot of it is due to getting sufficient sunlight every day. Artificial sunlamps kind of worked, but they are no substitute for the real thing. Since I have moved, I got a better paying job that I like more and bought a house. There is a lot to do here and I have made friends and enjoy a lot of outdoor activities all year long. I do not miss the taxes I was paying living in NY. I don't miss bundling up just to go to the grocery store or scraping the ice off my windshield.

I don't have any regrets at all. Second move was 20 miles two weeks ago. I bought a house to have more room and be in a better neighborhood. So far, I like it a lot. I have two cats and they love it here! I was shocked at how well they adjusted. With cats, you never know. But yes, getting the place together is a challenge. I still have a lot of boxes to unpack and the garage is full of stuff that I need to find a home for. It's amazing how much stuff I have. The condo I lived in was much smaller. Where did all this stuff come from? Someone told me yesterday that you get a year to unpack! LOL I hope it doesn't take me that long...maybe sometime in July I will finally feel somewhat organized.

Last edited by Fiona13; 06-07-2015 at 02:59 PM..

Old 06-07-2015, 03:54 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,760,165 times
OMG Fiona, I hope it works out happier for us. We're going from Lake George to Jupiter. I can't and won't do another winter again. The last two were the worst we've ever seen.

Old 06-08-2015, 09:26 AM

89 posts, read 148,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
With my ex it was due to his job.

This bf it's because his apt complex has gone down hill and we are tired of the trash neighbors. Moving to an apt complex they can't afford!

I tried that just over 10 years ago, then the trash moved to my neighborhood but the rent eventually doubled. I think trash usually gets help with rent. A few of them were seen begging on steps of nearby housing. Got tired of it all and, last month I moved here to Montgomery, Alabama into my daughter's house. Short term and OK so far. Cheap down here. Time will tell.

Old 06-08-2015, 05:45 PM

1,523 posts, read 3,900,505 times
In my adult life, I have moved:

*From Indiana to Germany to be with my now husband. I lived in several German states during this time, but I'm too lazy to write all those moves out.

*From Germany to Indiana, so that I could go back to work. I had no real future employment wise in Germany, though it was a lot of fun. A few small moves around the city over the next few years.

*From Indiana to Washington. We weren't having a lot of luck with finding FT work in Indiana and also really just weren't that happy with Indiana in general. Decided we needed a fresh start somewhere else and decided on WA after a scouting trip in 2009. Took about another two years to raise enough money for the move and for my husband to graduate from college. Moved here with no jobs and a hotel to stay in. Had jobs and a nice rental SFH within weeks of arrival. We really like a lot of things about living here, but there are two huge negatives: cost of real estate and traffic. A third negative, but not as major, is that we have no family out here and it is too expensive to fly out all the time to visit. We're probably going to move back east as soon as we have enough saved to buy a house in cash, probably to western Michigan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues