Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 01:00 PM

707 posts, read 976,503 times

Advertisements

I will be moving out west soon and I am trying to figure out the best way to ship some belongings. Mostly clothes and some books. No furniture. I have known people who use UPS and those who use USPS. Which one is the most affordable and reliable?

If anyone has any other ideas I would be interested to hear any and all suggestions.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 01:02 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,395,501 times
USPS. Books go media mail, clothes can go fairly cheaply too. UPS would charge more.

Old 05-12-2015, 03:03 PM

22,181 posts, read 29,152,023 times
Depends on how big your boxes are. USPS will not deliver large boxes. Get some boxes from HD (cheapest if you need to buy some) and go onto fedex and ups websites and get quotes.

Old 05-12-2015, 03:58 PM

170 posts, read 233,421 times
I have twice used USPS for moves. Both times they have damaged or lost my items, even when they were small, lightly packed boxes. The first time I figured was a fluke. This last time was anything but. I received several empty boxes that had been shipped with books in them. I had a fragile-ish item that I perfectly packaged and wrapped that somehow ended up busted and broken. This same item had been shipped to me with UPS with no problem.

I've never had issues with UPS. They are way more expensive, but worth it if your move includes sending boxes by mail. There is no cost saving when your packages end up lost, damaged or stolen.

Old 05-12-2015, 05:19 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,921,573 times
We sent several boxes of clothing and household goods ahead to be held by a family member until we could arrive at our new home city. We used UPS. I packed the boxes carefully. Everything arrived fine.

If you don't have experience packing boxes, you could have the staff at UPS to do it for you. Or, you could ask for advice. I imagine there are YouTube videos out there for this as well. I consulted a YouTube video for packing books, and it helped a lot.

Old 05-12-2015, 06:25 PM

Great advice everyone! Thank you so much. This is just the info I was seeking!

Old 05-13-2015, 10:30 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,781,815 times
If you need actual boxes, don't buy them at the post office or elsewhere. Use Walmart's free online ship to store feature and pick up your purchase at customer service. Most of their merch is shipped in new clean boxes. I use this feature and always have enough boxes for my moving stuff.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:47 AM

15,972 posts, read 10,531,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G0DDESS View Post
USPS. Books go media mail, clothes can go fairly cheaply too. UPS would charge more.
My daughter shipped eight boxes of books and videos by USPS in two batches and it worked great. Only problem was the mail carrier was a little overwhelmed in his little jeep and had to come to my house first to drop off the boxes before he could drive the normal route. For unbreakable stuff I think it would work fine.

It also worked (UPS or FedEx) when we were on a trip to Europe and had too much stuff to bring home by suitcases (daughter was in school there). You can tell them when you want it delivered.

Old 05-17-2015, 03:00 PM

I don't live anywhere near a Walmart. Would I be better off buying boxes from Staples? Are they the same quality as UPS. The boxes seem quite pricey at UPS but I want sturdy boxes since they are going across the country. At UPS they can cut them down as well if need be since they are scored.

Old 05-20-2015, 06:45 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,240,655 times
We do a lot of shipping for business, and prefer not to buy boxes if we can get them for free. We go to grocery stores, and big box stores for free boxes from the merchandisers. You can pick and choose to get the size and quality you want. First thing in the morning is usually good for scavenging from grocery stores, since they tend to do their stocking overnight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues