Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 09:26 AM

13 posts, read 22,925 times

Advertisements

I just created an account after doing multiple searches and have seen similar situations but I wanted to explain mine to get a more accurate response. Here is the scenario:

I have three years of military experience (Honorably Discharged) and a four year degree (B.S.) I live at home and thanks to the military, my student loans are paid off and I have no debt. I am 22, with a $40,000 a year job, living at home with roughly $10,000+ annual bills. My ultimate goal is to become a police officer. I took the NYPD exam two years ago and as I was approaching year two of not hearing from them I then applied to the LAPD in 2014. Due to my clean background, I took and passed their tests and was up to their background investigation when fate would have it the NYPD notified me to start their hiring process in January. I am nearing completion of the NYPD process but may miss this upcoming summer academy due to how many exams are ahead of mine and will not know if there will be a January class until December-because they can plan for it but NYPD has cancelled an academy the day before it is supposed to start. Given the recent protest against police I don't think that will happen but I don't want to put all of my eggs in one basket. (I did that when I was 18 thinking I had a hook in into the NYPD cadet program, similar to an ROTC program for the military. Needless to say due to budget constraints I did not get into the program, if there were no budget issues and got into that program, I would have been already a police officer for NY.)
NYPD is in contract negotiations but starting salary is around $42,000+ and increases annually to gross take home salary of $76,400 after 5.5 years.

LAPD is continually hiring, with almost an academy every month and my investigator is extremely understanding due to my position of being in the middle between both agencies and told me if anything happens to keep in contact with him and I can most likely get into an academy. The starting salary for a LAPD officer recently has been raised to $57,000+ and with my education, after a year probation increases to $67000+ following salary steps thereafter maxing out I believe at a base salary of $88,000.

My family and friends are in NY, but like anything just because I am close in proximity to everyone doesn't mean I see them all time since everyone either works or goes to school. In my current position I work with many retired cops of 20-30 years of experience. There point they tried to make is to focus on what will make me happy and quality of life.

I have the option to move out on my own, with a career in hand, a great starting salary but live moderately considering the Cost of Living in California is high and I don't really know anyone out there except for three people. OR I can remain at home, just my father and me, wait it out until I get onto the NYPD here and save my money considering I would be making just about the same amount of money I presently make so the transition wouldn't affect me and my bills are staying the same. And I can easily save probably $50,000 in the next five years living at home vs moving to California I could save maybe half of that if I am lucky. FYI, My father supports my decision either way and I am single with no dependents.

Basically, I am looking for an outside perspective to identify anything I am missing or factors to consider. Also obviously any advice from people who have taken that risk of moving away from comforts of home, or vice/versa remained home until they saved whatever they were comfortable with before moving out. If there are any Current or Former Police Officers as well that would be great.

Thank you for reviewing my post and I appreciate anyone's responses!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 06:23 PM

7,754 posts, read 6,332,195 times
I would not live in either of those cities. No way would I ever become a cop in either city.
There are far too many better places in this country.

Old 05-19-2015, 06:58 PM

47 posts, read 53,856 times
Are you looking at L.A. for the sole purpose of the police academy and subsequent job or are there other factors that make that location appealing to you? Is it going to be something you regret NOT doing? You're young and unattached; you should go out and do the things you want to do before you settle down.

I can't really help; I wouldn't want to live in either city, but I'm in a completely different place in life than you are.

Old 05-19-2015, 07:32 PM

I selected LAPD as a back up plan because it's a large department with plenty of opportunities like the NYPD. Both departments are not perfect but are highly respected in their fields. I was leaning towards NYPD because it is home but I didn't want to fall into a pattern of not being selected for the summer academy because they did not reach my exam; that is understandable because everyone has to wait to for their exam to be reached. What concerns me is the next planned academy would be January, but the NYPD processes people with an estimated number and won't know the official number until a few weeks prior to the academy start date, which would be end of December. Then, if for some reason that academy is canceled for any reason then I'd have to wait until the following summer. I run the risk of not getting in and losing a whole year waiting.

It is that catch 22 of how long do I wait to begin the career I want in the location I want vs. the LAPD, a location I wouldn't mind living since I hate the winters, that wants me now and have been courteous enough to extend my conditional offer until I decide because when it comes down to it LAPD needs people.

Thank you both for your initial replies.

Old 05-19-2015, 08:15 PM

8,103 posts, read 8,282,393 times
I left the east coast to attend college in the midwest and never returned. Life just steam rolled and career and marriage took me other places. At one point, when I was 21 and thinking about college graduation, I considered specifically searching for employment after college back home. But that did not happen. And for a very long time following the birth of my child I deeply regretted not being geographically close to family. In some ways, now as a retired person, I still regret it. My parents retired and then eventually died and I was a phone call away and an annual visitor. I missed many, many birthday parties and Mothers and Fathers days. And my life never stayed connected to cousins or even my sister and brother. Career-wise, however, I had a great run. Just giving my input.

Old 05-21-2015, 07:05 AM

WorldKlas- Thank you for your reply. If you don't mind me asking, do you have any regrets about it? Since you did make a family for yourself, I feel like it is only natural that it is inevitable to lose contact even with siblings even when you are home ha.

Old 05-21-2015, 07:39 AM

8,103 posts, read 8,282,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mets1986 View Post
WorldKlas- Thank you for your reply. If you don't mind me asking, do you have any regrets about it? Since you did make a family for yourself, I feel like it is only natural that it is inevitable to lose contact even with siblings even when you are home ha.
When I was raising children I very much regretted being so far from grandparents. And then, as my parents aged I again regretted living so far away from them. The quality of my parents' lives and my own would have been better if they were just a short drive away rather than an expensive airplane trip.

Old 05-21-2015, 12:48 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,727,858 times
OP, congrats and thank you for seving our country.

One thing that immediately comes to mind is how healthy are the pension funds of these departments? Pension deficits are being corrected at the sacrifice of new hires here in NYS.

Pension win for city hits new NYPD, FDNY members | New York Post

Old 05-21-2015, 01:07 PM

CCc girl- Thank you for your kind words! Both departments pension and retirements are very strong with also 401k deferred compensation.

NYPD for new officers fall under the new pension plan which in short an officer will have to do 22.5 years to receive 50% of their base salary but if they do 25 years they get an additional $12,000 annual supplement; so essentially 25 years to retire at the minimum. Each additional year, you get 1.66% extra on top of the 50%.

LAPD retirement You are credited with 50% of your final average salary at 20 years of service. For each additional year of service after 20 years is an additional 3% of your base salary; except in the 30th year when you are credited with 4% per year. The maximum years of service pension percentage is 90% at 33 years of service.

Old 05-21-2015, 02:08 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,169,089 times
The ultimate "should I go or should I stay?" dilemma!!!

From your OP, I think that you're really, really tempted to take the LA job, primarily because you'd like to try living elsewhere, break out of the mold, be your "own" person. That's normal for most young people to feel that way.

LA has a very different life-style from NY, which is something to consider because as wonderful as warm temps, sunshine, and the beach sounds, it might not suit you. I'm from Upstate, but I lived for two years in Nebraska and could never feel "right" there. I found I not only missed my family but I also missed the culture and the weather and especially lakes and trees.

I think it comes down to two things: how important is it to you to be near your family, specifically your parents and siblings, and how attached are you to NYC, ie, your sense of "place". I don't think anybody can tell you what you should do. It's a very tough decision that only you can make.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues