Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2015, 07:05 PM

32 posts, read 37,171 times

Advertisements

After doing my research into all the necessary requirements to relocating-job, transportation, crime rate, cost of living, weather, etc. I am looking into relocating to the west coast -possibly Portland, Oregon/Vancouver, Washington area or a smaller city in northern California.

Yes, I know California is expensive no matter how one looks at it-housing, etc. but it does have many of the national parks that would be within driving distance.

Point being-I am looking to relocate to a city either within or near a metro area (I have gotten spoiled living in the metro area of Dallas-Fort Worth) yet is within driving distance to many national parks. Now that I am a new empty nester and my kids have all moved far away, I want to pursue my dream/passion to live near some national parks so I can visit often and see other worthwhile visits as well. I am not so much looking to start over into a new career for my main objective is to find an apartment to rent, get a job that I can live within my means so I can spend most of the time outdoors enjoying nature and doing outside activities.

I am not looking so much as a place to retire to but to live and enjoy the national parks nearby for a few years before moving near one of my kids-in other words, enjoy the freedom to hike, do the outdoor stuff out west while my health is good.

I know there are so many worthwhile places to live anywhere in the country but for now, the west coast is what I have been dreaming of moving to for quite some time.

Any suggestions for possible cities or other ideas would be helpful. I am not being delusional-I know the west coast has its issues-natural disasters, high cost of living, etc. but there has got to be some places on the west coast that is reasonable to live in and yet be near the national parks that I can see and hike in.

Kimi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 08:32 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,786,973 times
I moved to Henderson, NV a couple of years ago. It is a suburb of Las Vegas (regular neighborhood, but the fun of Las Vegas 15 minutes away). We picked this city primarily for weather, but it is a GREAT hub, with so many outdoor activities around us. Red Rock Canyon is 20 minutes away. Valley of Fire is an hour. Grand Canyon is 3-4 hours. Bryce and Zion are day trips. Death Valley is about an hour. Plus, we're 4 hours from Phoenix, 4 from Los Angeles, 5 from San Diego, 5 from Salt Lake City, etc.

Henderson is rated the 2nd safest city in the country (we have about 250,000 residents). Cost of living is ridiculously cheap, no income tax, friendly people, etc.

I know you specified the west coast, and we're not on the coast, but a few hours inland. But I would throw this city in the mix against any you're considering.

Good luck!

Old 05-22-2015, 08:34 AM

8,153 posts, read 8,354,049 times
Sacramento

Old 05-29-2015, 01:16 PM

733 posts, read 853,758 times
Consider Kitsap Peninsula. Near Seattle, near parks, lots of rentals.

Old 05-29-2015, 01:25 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
If you're going to rent and not buy, then consider a state that has no income tax, like WA. OR has no sales tax, but does have income tax. Since property tax isn't an issue, I won't get into that.

California is not as expensive as many people think, especially if you are going to be buying property, because the property taxes basically never go up as long as you own it. But, CA does have an income tax.

Gas is really cheap in OR, and since there is no sales tax there, the best of all worlds, in my opinion, would be to work and live in Vancouver, WA, where you can just drive across a bridge to do your shopping and buy your gas. You'd be near all kinds of beautiful parks right in that area, have two cities to do things in, and be about an hour and a half from either Mt. Hood, or Mt. Adams. I used to live up there. Too much ice and snow and clouds for me, but it's beautiful.

Something to consider, too, is traffic isn't as bad there as it is in Seattle, which is a nightmare.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues