Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 12:54 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,918,560 times

Advertisements

Did you have to buy out the lease or did landlord let you go with no issues?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 01:01 PM

170 posts, read 235,335 times
I have technically broken a lease. I just went and spoke with the manager, explained my reason for wanting to leave and worked out a deal. I paid a small reletting fee of $150 which was covered by my security deposit. I also made sure that I had in writing from them that this was a mutually agreed situation and would not be considered a broken lease.

I was already approved for another apartment before I went to my current landlord, so that may have helped as I didn't need to worry about not having an immediate place to live. Still, just sitting and talking with the managers was enough to make sure that I was let out of the lease with no problems.

Old 05-14-2015, 02:19 PM

10,090 posts, read 5,739,706 times
I find the apartment complexes are pretty merciless nowdays when it comes to breaking the lease. My current apartment demands one month in advance, plus a $2000 reletting fee to buy out the lease. And they want it up front. Who has like 4K easily to spare on top of all the costs to move at the time? It's not like they are going to lose money. They would have my unit rented out within days.

Old 05-14-2015, 02:24 PM

488 posts, read 858,059 times
Well, I think it depends on your circumstances. But here's my story, FWIW.

I found my dream apartment early last time I wanted to move. When I got accepted, I knew I was going to have to either break my lease or pay two rents to get the place I wanted. There was an early termination clause, but in doing the math, I realized I was better off keeping the place than breaking the lease since it was only two months early.

So, here's what I did - I emailed them giving them notice in mid July that when my lease ended on 9/30, I would not be renewing. I let them know that I was not planning on breaking my lease, but if they were able to rent it sooner, I could be out by 8/1. I got lucky - three days later someone came in wanting a ground floor apartment and mine was the only one coming open and he wanted to move in by 8/15. So, since it was a win for both of us, I wasn't penalized at all.

I had another landlord let me out with no penalty because I'd broken up with my boyfriend and couldn't afford the place any longer, but I'd been renting from her for 5 years and she loved us and felt bad for me.

Property Management Companies are notoriously less forgiving, but as I stated above, since me leaving early turned out to be more of a favour for them, they let it go. It's really going to depend on what's going on, the relationship you have with your landlord, etc.

Ultimately, I'd be more likely to be inclined to say if there's an early termination penalty in your lease, expect to pay it.

Old 05-14-2015, 02:34 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,183,403 times
Just like the song....
There's got to be 50 ways to break your lease, lol

I've done it more than a few times---
It's not as hard as people say it it.

Old 05-14-2015, 02:50 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,097,080 times
I had to pay two months of rent to buy out my lease even though we had a paper confirming a job transfer they were cut throat and told us the lease said we had to pay two months rent to break the lease so we saved and did without a lot and we did it and we were gone and we are better off for it but you know that apt complex will get theirs in the end because God don't like ugly and they were the worst place I had ever lived ...

Old 05-14-2015, 02:56 PM

8,153 posts, read 8,359,535 times
Always check your State laws regarding lease breakage since they supercede lease terms. In many states Landlords have to make attempts to find new tenants and if there are qualified applicants/tenants the landlord must not charge you any money on the balance of the lease for which they were able to re-lease the place.

Old 05-14-2015, 05:32 PM

8,272 posts, read 8,662,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I had to pay two months of rent to buy out my lease even though we had a paper confirming a job transfer they were cut throat and told us the lease said we had to pay two months rent to break the lease so we saved and did without a lot and we did it and we were gone and we are better off for it but you know that apt complex will get theirs in the end because God don't like ugly and they were the worst place I had ever lived ...

You agreed to the terms and the apt complex is wrong? I don't think God likes people that break their word.

Old 05-17-2015, 06:15 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,097,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
You agreed to the terms and the apt complex is wrong? I don't think God likes people that break their word.

perhaps I should have also said that the lease stated that they would release you from the lease if and when a job transfer should occur and the complex broke their word and I did not have time to fight it so yes they were wrong ...guess I should have also put that in there .

Old 05-20-2015, 04:51 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,596,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Always check your State laws regarding lease breakage since they supercede lease terms. In many states Landlords have to make attempts to find new tenants and if there are qualified applicants/tenants the landlord must not charge you any money on the balance of the lease for which they were able to re-lease the place.
I've wondered about this. Suppose you do this, and then the new tenant stops paying rent (and thus your lease obligation is technically unfulfilled)?

Do you then have to pay the rest of the rent for the lease?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues