Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 01:23 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookybean View Post
Hello everyone...

I just moved into an apartment almost 3 weeks ago. I lurked here only because mine was a very small move compared to most people here! I moved about 10 miles from my old house, but to another town/county.

Anyway, I lived in my previous place for 12 years, moved around a couple times before settling there and actually moved quite a bit growing up. I still can not remember feeling this way though....I just don't feel "home". I'm very uneasy at night and just don't feel comfortable. It's almost like I'm just visiting!

Now there are a couple of things that I am trying to have the landlord fix which is slowing down the unpacking process. I also want to buy some new furniture so we are using temporary things so I didnt have to move the old stuff. I hired a cleaning company to do a full move in clean for me, but the landlord was working still (was supposed to be done already) so the clean wasn't what I pictured. Now I am trying to clean as I go along and unpack, but I work full time with 2 kids....so best intentions and all that.

I guess I know why I dont feel home yet, but I am wondering if anyone else feels the same and did they do anything to help it along. I dont want my kids to pick up on this vibe since they were hesitant about the move to begin with.

Thank you!
10 miles? I have moved several times in the same area more than that and never felt like I really moved. Just adjusting to new local. Each time it was for reason and much happier having moved. As to moving in; and getting things straight; just give it time. 3 weeks isn't much really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 12:37 PM

440 posts, read 533,958 times
We just moved after 27 years in the same house - drove 1800 miles with as much as we could fit into two cars (including the cat). Arrived a week ago and furniture is coming this afternoon. We had one small folding table, outdoor furniture (brought a couple of chairs inside), and bought a queen airbed, which was a lifesaver.

I already feel at home. Even in the empty house. This was my dream and so far it does not disappoint. We came from Chicagoland to San Diego and have already tried out the outdoor spa, fire pit, and indoor Jacuzzi. Haven't swum in the pool yet because didn't want to heat it until we have more time. I like the empty spaces - told my husband we should only move in about half our stuff (house is smaller, garage is bigger than before).

I also joined the loyalty program at a local restaurant.

Old 06-07-2015, 06:17 PM

1,007 posts, read 1,125,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatWarmer View Post
I like the empty spaces - told my husband we should only move in about half our stuff (house is smaller, garage is bigger than before).

I also joined the loyalty program at a local restaurant.
I didn't take all my furniture with me when I moved and I liked the empty space too!! My garage is full of stuff and I don't want to move it in because it feels so spacious.

I also joined the loyalty program at the nearest grocery store and a couple of other stores the first week I moved in.

OP, I am glad to hear that your kids are enjoying the neighborhood. Once school is over, it should be easier to settle in.

Old 06-07-2015, 08:04 PM

7,774 posts, read 6,383,187 times
Each one is different. We are settling into number 10 spread over 4 states.

Old 06-10-2015, 12:52 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,978,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyJune View Post
Classic moving stress. For me, it goes away when I finish unpacking. Everyone, I'm sure is different. Give yourself a break, remind yourself it's a process, and take a few deep breaths. You'll get there.
Tonight, I was trying to analyze my possible stressors to determine if they were causing all the pains and quirks on the sites of old injuries. I mean, I finished the move almost 6 weeks ago, should I be still be feeling it?

Well, considering that I had 11 weeks to move from a place that I lived at for 25 years, then to find out it was Fate that I had to move because my 25 year old home got washed out 3 weeks post my goodbyes, that as I am slowly unpacking I am finding out how inefficiently a lot of things were packed (but it was necessary at the time), that it really is a sorting-repacking instead of an unpacking since I need to now be looking to build a house, and the first month I really lived here (with 2 previous months living in 2 places across town) I was busy with 3 dancing gigs..........................

....................it's probably no surprise that stress is still out there on various pathways......even though I'd like to believe that once the move was done, the stress would just slough off.

Add to it various infrastructures that need to be put in place such as the washer-dryer and aspects of life to be handled including paperwork matters that got shuffled before the move and then shuffled again during the move.

HOWEVER, A and B. A: One should decide how actually distressing a current unpacked situation is. This week, for example, I'm not too happy that I can't find my weight lifting books, so I have replacements in the mail. Probably not the best answer, but it was a workable, cheap one. B: One should appreciate each and every item that brings joy to their life.

In the old place, Izzy and Gizzy (sister & brother cats) had gotten to the point where Izzy was forced into far exile. Now, they can be in the same room only a foot from each other. They may not be cuddling like when they were younger, but it is a much welcomed improvement from before. Today, I got the boxes emptied off my kitchen counter and now have my dry goods jars "decorating" those tops. I am learning the joy of various aspects of house living, such as cooking in a kitchen with windows, something I don't think I realized I was missing before. Etc, etc, etc.

Focus on the joys that you discover as you go along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
[b]

I only had a small cot to sleep on the first few nights. We had ordered new bedding to be delivered and were waiting on it. All 3 cats tried sleeping with me, which made it a bit "cozy". When they finally figured out their new surroundings and got off my space, I guess I felt we'd arrived!
Me, I'm sleeping on a cot now. So far, it's not an issue, stressor, though once I finally get a bed in a year or so, I may decide it was an issue. Two things though. First of all, a sleeping bag is part of my standard equipment, be it for camping, stays in hotels, biology lab field trips, sleeping outside someone's door on medical alert, etc.. On family gatherings, I'm the one who usually gets to bunk down with the dogs and cats. So not only am I use to it but a cot would be a step up. Secondly, not having a bed that fills up the master bed room in this house gives me a better feeling as I try to sort through all my stuff.

On sleep: looking through my diary, it seems my dreams about the old home stopped after my second day of moving in to the new place.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 06-10-2015 at 01:10 AM..

Old 06-10-2015, 09:52 AM

1,912 posts, read 3,224,509 times
I felt I was 'home' before I even opened the door

Old 06-10-2015, 11:00 AM

9,000 posts, read 10,176,723 times
Never.
I haven't felt at home in so long its ridiculous

Old 06-10-2015, 12:12 PM

1,523 posts, read 3,900,505 times
I never have really felt completely at home anywhere, but I have a small problem with wanderlust.

Old 06-10-2015, 01:40 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
We bought our home 4 and a half years ago and it felt like ours when we had new carpet in, painted the walls, made some changes. We have continued to make changes to the home and the back and front yards. Another thing that helps is to have some parties in your home. We love to barbq and have friends over. Makes the house a home.

Old 06-10-2015, 03:20 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,808,097 times
After three years, I doubt I will ever feel at home in Oklahoma City. This place is kind of stuck between being a small town and a real city and offers the worst of both worlds. Unfortunately I am stuck here until April of 2020 but as soon as that day comes I am out of here. In the mean time, I keep trying, albeit unsuccessfully, to find ways to adjust and at least have a life here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues