Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2015, 07:03 AM

127 posts, read 312,514 times

Advertisements

We are planning to rent for a year before we buy but am curious how everyone researches where to move.... Of course if you already lived in the area or have family there it makes it much easier but we don't. (not really anyway). Our plan this summer is to stay in a hotel for 5 days and act like residents. Go to the grocery, the movies, out to lunch and dinner. Go to the local stores etc. What else would everyone suggest?

Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 07:44 AM

25,695 posts, read 21,855,107 times
Know that a visit is nothing like living there. Even the locals treat one differently when they are just a visitor. First, you need a job and you need to know what the employment picture is in the area so that if you lose that job, you'll be able to find something else that would suit you. We bought a repossessed house where the people just dumped it and moved to another state for a better paying job. They did not look at the cost-of-living and couldn't make it. Ended up returning to no job and no house.

So, job is #1 and more jobs in the area should that fall through which many do. Try to find out how much turnover the employer has. You must understand the cost of living. There are online calculators to compare one city to another. Look at crime. You can see affordable housing areas only to learn they don't look like they do on the internet and end up being in neighborhoods that are undesirable. You want to be able to afford at least mid-level housing when you are relocating.

It can be good to look at the number of foreclosed homes online and areas with a lot of them are probably best not to consider the area since if things don't work out and you have purchased, it can take years to sell.

Make sure you understand the weather if it will be something new. I would bookmark one of the weather sites and check it each day. Never go with the average as that is very misleading.

If you are moving a short distance, it is easier than moving across country. Many moves fail because the people don't do the research so don't be one of them. It takes a couple of years to really know if a place will work and if after two years, things aren't good, they will usually just get worse. I have been moving for 40 years. There is no Utopia or I would have found it.

Old 06-03-2015, 07:44 AM

9,300 posts, read 16,599,633 times
One good way to research is here on city-data. The posters are people that live in the area and will provide you with the good, the bad and the ugly. Go to the State you are interested in and do a search of that forum for the specific area you are interested in. If you can't find any information, post a question on a specific area asking any information. Hopefully you will find what you are seeking.

Old 06-03-2015, 08:08 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,896,562 times
If you plan to move out of your area, what places have you seen on TV, vacationed at, heard others talk about, that interest you?

List each of those places in your initial order of priority.

Look at employment in that area.

Every county in this Unitied States has demographic information on line. Read it for the area(s) you have picked. If you're really interested after that, go a step deeper and read the demographics (that should include crime rate statistics) for whatever cities and large towns are in that county.

Look At the tax structure of the state and also the counties you might be interested in. Rural counties aren't near as expensive to live in as heavily populated or metro counties.

Look at real estate costs.

THEN, if you find a couple areas you are serious about, ask questions of the folks on City-Data.

As far as how I made my decision to retire to TN. I knew I was going to spend the last years of my life here when I visited this area in 1990. I moved two times after that vacation, never losing sight of where I wanted to land for retirement. I was d***ed determined to get here and in 2003 I made it and still don't have any regrets.

That said, I moved here in retirement mode. Even with a degree under ones belt, good jobs, such as what I was used to are not plentiful. Relocating and still needing to be gainfully employed puts a whole spin on how one looks for an area to settle in. Unless you are someone who can work from home and consistently maintain an income to support your household and chosen lifestyle

Old 06-03-2015, 08:47 AM

488 posts, read 852,257 times
I'm planning a relocation entirely online. I've only visited once, for a single day, for a job interview. Most of my research has actually come from City Data.

The best thing I have found - go to your new area's forum and ask. Let them know where you'll be working and what neighbourhoods you have been looking in. Locals can tell you if it is a good neighbourhood or not. Even without posting, I learned tons of information just reading other people's questions.

Helpful Hints:

1. Don't just go to the forum and ask "Hey, where should I live?" Give them information about where you'll be working, how far you're willing to commute, rental price range, if schools are a consideration. That helps people tailor an answer to your needs and you'll get far more useful responses.

Seriously, this site has been invaluable. I'm still in for culture shock, I'm sure, but I feel very good about having a good basic knowledge on where I am going and how to get what I need.

Good luck!

Old 06-03-2015, 08:57 AM

1,677 posts, read 2,533,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vellamint View Post
We are planning to rent for a year before we buy but am curious how everyone researches where to move.... Of course if you already lived in the area or have family there it makes it much easier but we don't. (not really anyway). Our plan this summer is to stay in a hotel for 5 days and act like residents. Go to the grocery, the movies, out to lunch and dinner. Go to the local stores etc. What else would everyone suggest?

Thanks.
You first need to answer the question as to why you are moving. Is it due to relocation for a job? Is it primarily due to a need for a different climate? Is it due to retirement? Is it due to a need for a lower cost of living? Is it due to a need to be close to specific medical help or type of home due to physical limitations (i.e. wheelchair accessibility). Is it due to a need for alternate types of transportation? (i.e. need access to airport, train system, bus system etc.)

Old 06-03-2015, 11:30 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,589,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vellamint View Post

Thanks.

Good plan. Go to the grocery stores, the mall, local restaurants, etc. Interact with people. Interact with the environment. That's all you can do. I've researched places on paper--looked good, but w/ a visit you do see what it's really like. 5 days is usually enough. One place I didn't visit, just moved. I was from that state originally. Hated the place within 2 weeks. One place I visited back and forth, trying to convince myself I liked it. Canned that place after I realized what I was doing. You can never be quite sure how moves will work out, but you do the best you can!
I'd say just be honest w/ your feelings, reactions. You feel what you feel about a place. Good luck

Old 06-03-2015, 12:30 PM

15,975 posts, read 20,964,469 times
Don't forget to look for your 'fun'. If you like to square dance or take a class at the local college, or you are really into live music, scuba diving, or whatever, make sure that the activities you hope to enjoy are available and affordable.

Old 06-03-2015, 01:02 PM

127 posts, read 312,514 times
Good information. We will be moving for retirement. We won't "need" to work but may want a little part time job to keep busy. We are in the northeast and have visited Florida every year for 15 years.... In the summer.....so we understand the heat. Using Orlando as a base we will be 2 hours or less from a number of friends and family that have moved there. I've been in city-data for years... I'm trying to glean even more info from you helpful people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues