Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 06:02 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,878,056 times

Advertisements

Hi folks!

I have a very small amount of furniture, two bookshelves of hardcover books/DVDs/cds, no big nor heavy stuff like entertainment centers or huge couches or anything hard to lift.
Picture like a small 1BR apt, minimal stuff, no clutter. Sofa, 2 twin beds, one dresser. The apt is upstairs, though and tricky to maneuver around stairwell.

My question is this: I have no one to drive a UHaul, driving one would be beyond my ability as I suck at driving even my small Toyota (never had an accident but trust me I suck) nor load one though with such a small am't of stuff I am loath to hire a professional mover.
The move would be from NC to panhandle of FL, 500 or so miles.

I got online quotes from Atlas for $2700!!

I won't be moving until next Jan (though I'm buying the condo now), so I have some time to figure this out.
I can't afford more than $1000 to move the stuff. I thought maybe I'd not take any furniture and buy when I get there but the place I'm going is a town so small it's 50+mi form thrift stores (where I buy everything) and Goodwill won't deliver so how would I get the stuff moved as I buy it piece by piece?
Plus I'd still have to move the books, small TV, CDs, DVD player etc which the latter could go in my car but the boxes of books wouldn't fit, nor clothes, not that I have a ton but my car is a Corolla.

Any ideas? I'm lousy at seeing possibilities so there may be an obvious way I'm not thinking of?

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2015, 06:27 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,446,637 times
nearby HS or college job board.

I used to move people in College we charge a low flat fee and owner would rent truck on their credit card. Get jobs off a bulletin board.

Old 06-18-2015, 06:47 AM

1,846 posts, read 3,938,662 times
I was going to suggest PODS, but that may cost more than $1000. Really, an interstate move for $1000 is hard to do. Maybe you could sell everything you have and get new (used) furniture that you find on bulletin boards or yard sales, after you get there? You could mail your books to yourself at the post office's book rate which is slow but fairly cheap IIRC. But check on that in advance because I haven't done it since 1968, ha ha! Anyway I do not have many ideas but wish you well in your adventure.

Old 06-18-2015, 06:54 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,757,973 times
WILL,PULL,,OR,,HAUL,,CAMPERS,BOATS

MOVING ON A BUDGET....

Ask at your church if you have one. Also ask your local UJaul if they have a driver to recommend, ours does.

Old 06-18-2015, 07:17 AM

I would love to just buy the minimal furniture I need, when I get there and ship the books, I thought of that.
Two reasons that won't work are:

1. most of these are rare, old expensive books (only possessions I have that I care about) that I'm kind of scared to ship, damage etc if box breaks. Also all hardcover and heavy, won't be cheap to ship.

2. Unlike where I am now, with awesome multiple Goodwills and other thrift stores galore, very nearby, this place is 50+miles from a city that would have thrift stores. So how the heck would I get the stuff from the thrift store to the condo?

I also thought of what one poster suggested, using college kids type thing as loaders/drivers but how would they get back to NC from FL? Driving the UHaul BOTH ways would cost a ton of money in miles and gas.

CCcgirl I clicked on those links, the one guy with a truck may work, but it seems he hauls trailers/boats, maybe renting a trailer from UHaul and him driving it would work...but would he load the stuff as well...I'm going to phone him, thanks!

Arrrrrgh

Last edited by VexedAndSolitary; 06-18-2015 at 07:22 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-18-2015, 09:46 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,446,637 times
Auto Train Transports You and Your Car - Lorton, VA - Sanford, FL | Amtrak

The old Jewish ladies in my old town who retired to Florida but could not drive that far anymore believe it or not loaded their car or minivan to max and put it on the autotrain and set up front and had dinner and a movie or rented a sleeper cabin.

Are you bringing a car or van with you?

Old 06-18-2015, 09:57 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,312,500 times
Penske doesn't charge for miles. We just moved but gas is high.

Old 06-18-2015, 10:00 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,404,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverItAll View Post
Hi folks!

I have a very small amount of furniture, two bookshelves of hardcover books/DVDs/cds, no big nor heavy stuff like entertainment centers or huge couches or anything hard to lift.
Picture like a small 1BR apt, minimal stuff, no clutter. Sofa, 2 twin beds, one dresser. The apt is upstairs, though and tricky to maneuver around stairwell.

My question is this: I have no one to drive a UHaul, driving one would be beyond my ability as I suck at driving even my small Toyota (never had an accident but trust me I suck) nor load one though with such a small am't of stuff I am loath to hire a professional mover.
The move would be from NC to panhandle of FL, 500 or so miles.

I got online quotes from Atlas for $2700!!

I won't be moving until next Jan (though I'm buying the condo now), so I have some time to figure this out.
I can't afford more than $1000 to move the stuff. I thought maybe I'd not take any furniture and buy when I get there but the place I'm going is a town so small it's 50+mi form thrift stores (where I buy everything) and Goodwill won't deliver so how would I get the stuff moved as I buy it piece by piece?
Plus I'd still have to move the books, small TV, CDs, DVD player etc which the latter could go in my car but the boxes of books wouldn't fit, nor clothes, not that I have a ton but my car is a Corolla.

Any ideas? I'm lousy at seeing possibilities so there may be an obvious way I'm not thinking of?

Thanks so much!
Sell everything and buy new stuff at your new place.

Old 06-18-2015, 10:44 AM

SandyJet, I'm driving the car down, the amt of books wouldn't fit in the car, with clothes etc; getting the car there isn't the issue, it's the books, clothes, and small amt of furniture. I can drive the car myself OK, just not a UHaul.

convextech, I considered that, but due to the location of the tiny (1000 people) town that is 50+mi from any city that'd have thrift stores to buy new furniture, I don't know how I'd get the furniture from the Goodwill to the town.

Old 06-18-2015, 11:06 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,679,316 times
Why would you be driving the UHaul both ways? It is usually just a one way trip, the UHaul being dropped off at their nearest center where you are moving to. I did that when I moved myself 1000 miles east back in 08'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues