Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 12:19 PM

16,590 posts, read 8,610,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songbird16 View Post
We have the option of moving our young family from Sacramento to Boise. I'm not thrilled about Boise, but it's safer, family-friendly, and offers a lower cost of living and slower lifestyle. On the other hand, it's remote, cold, far from family and jobs there are fewer (right now my husband works remotely, so it's not an issue). Would you move for the sake of your children, so that they may grow up in a better place, even if it's not a place you love? Just wanted to hear what other folks would do if given the choice.
I had a coworker who did just that. He had 4 daughters and didn't want to raise them in Miami. Certainly things like the big city life, education and crime were considerations.
However his main reasoning was that he did not want them to eventually marry Hispanics. Raising them in Miami would increase that possibility dramatically, so he moved the family to Washington State, in a rural area.
I have only communicated with him once since he left, and other than the typical complaints about the weather, he is very happy with he and his wife's decision.

`
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 12:35 PM

922 posts, read 1,111,898 times
Yes, in fact my husband and I are doing exactly that, OP. We're moving in 6 weeks from CA to TX and we're very happy about it. Our children's futures are paramount to us and them growing up in So Cal would have made things that much harder for them. It just costs too damn much to live in CA and we're sick of the politics, the home prices and the people of CA.

If not Boise, what other choices do you have? And why Boise in the first place?

Old 06-24-2015, 01:59 PM

38 posts, read 61,188 times
Thank you all for sharing your perspective. You've given me a lot of food for thought.

Old 06-24-2015, 02:03 PM

38 posts, read 61,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berrie143 View Post
Yes, in fact my husband and I are doing exactly that, OP. We're moving in 6 weeks from CA to TX and we're very happy about it. Our children's futures are paramount to us and them growing up in So Cal would have made things that much harder for them. It just costs too damn much to live in CA and we're sick of the politics, the home prices and the people of CA.

If not Boise, what other choices do you have? And why Boise in the first place?
Boise because it's a 9-hour drive from here. Other than cold winters, the weather is nice, it's affordable, is a very low-crime area, and homeschooling friendly. But it is small and cut off from the rest of the country. You have to drive four hours before you reach another metro area.

Where in TX are you planning to relocate?

Old 06-24-2015, 03:14 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,380,880 times
For a better life for my whole family, yes. If I, or my husband, were going to be miserable or the family as a whole impacted in other negative ways, then no. Our current impending move is one that we hope will be better for all of us, not just the kids!

Old 06-24-2015, 03:25 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,354,685 times
Twenty years ago I moved my family from Maryland to New Mexico primarily for my daughter's future and opportunities outside of government work. I also did not want my daughter's eventual family and my grandchildren to be so far from where my wife and I planned to be in retirement in case they needed our help. Now that my grandchildren are in New Mexico, my wife and I plan to retire to nearby western Texas.

Our grass just keeps getting browner yet it has worked well for us.

Old 06-24-2015, 03:29 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
Quote:
Sure, but it would have to be some place that I would enjoy living too. Especially if you can work remotely. Isn't there somewhere closer that you might enjoy more than Sacramento?
Boise, is a very nice small city. Has a lot of advantages.

Some posters are saying there is no work there, but the unemployment rate is only 3.1% which is considered to be full unemployment as 3 to 4% of all those employed or looking for employment will be voluntarily unemployed at any point of time.

Median income adjusted for cost of living, leaves those in Boise earning more money than living in Sacramento.

Quote:
They will probably be cash buyers. Where do the people of Boise go when they want to cash out and move to an even cheaper place to live?
Most will not need to move, as they are already in a low cost of living area. People in high cost of living areas, are the ones that have to move to find a cheaper place to live.

How many people that are trying to advise against moving to Boise, have ever even been there or passed through Boise. Most that are against the move, have never seen Boise, or know anything about it from personal experience. I have been through Boise many times over the years, and spent a few days there a couple of times on business. I can say, it is a nice clean town, with low cost of living, low crime rate, and friendly people living there.

Old 06-24-2015, 03:34 PM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
We live in Oxnard, one of the safest cities in the nation. Oxnard is on the coast with beaches and access to the Channel Islands. It is mild year round most times in the summer it may be in the mid 70's, although it has had the occasional heat wave. Still, the ocean cools everything down in the evening. I am never leaving this place. LOL

Whats the rent going for there??

Old 06-24-2015, 03:36 PM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I had a coworker who did just that. He had 4 daughters and didn't want to raise them in Miami. Certainly things like the big city life, education and crime were considerations.
However his main reasoning was that he did not want them to eventually marry Hispanics. Raising them in Miami would increase that possibility dramatically, so he moved the family to Washington State, in a rural area.
I have only communicated with him once since he left, and other than the typical complaints about the weather, he is very happy with he and his wife's decision.

`
LOL I understand as I was born and raised in Miami and dated nothing but Cubans. I moved out to Denver with my now ex Cuban bf and am now dating a Mexican

Old 06-24-2015, 06:09 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,663,303 times
Kids come first. So yes, I would move to give my kids a better life.

I'm actually debating this right now with my wife. We could live on my income if we moved from Seattle back to Michigan (I'm a remote contractor). My daughter would love to have her mama home during the day, and we'd be close enough to visit my daughter's only living grandparent. But my wife doesn't want to leave Seattle. It's frustrating ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues