Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2015, 10:38 AM

1 posts, read 648 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum but I am completely relating to the indecision of suddenly moving. My boyfriend, myself and our 4 month old daughter are relocating to Tempe, Arizona in about 7 days. I am graduating with my Master's and am going to Tempe where we know no one because I am going to go to a school down there for my Ph.D. My problem now is I used to live for about 6 months in Boise, Idaho. I love it there. However, the school I am attending would require me to do a 3 week residency first and then attend classes. I would not be able to financially fly down from Boise to Tempe to do this nor would my boyfriend be able to handle working and taking care of our daughter for 3 weeks. We no one in Boise either. However, I love it there and all the amenities it has to offer. The unemployment rate is the same in Boise as in Tempe. The weather - heat - is the same actually in temperature, the only difference is it snows and has icky winter weather in Boise. We currently live in Great Falls, Montana which is just no longer an option for us because it is not as family friendly for us and the jobs are few for me. I would be over-qualified for many jobs. We have started packing our house, put in a change of address and everything for our new location in Tempe and yet I received a call from a realtor in Boise regarding a condo to move into. Now my head is spinning thinking I should not go back to school, just get a job in Boise and move there. My gut is saying to go to Tempe and finish out my goals. I do not know what to do. Anyone else in this position?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2015, 10:57 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,616,048 times
Is your school giving you a stipend or scholarship? If not, strongly consider not attending right now.

Are you absolutely sure that getting a PhD won't price you out of the job market?

Are there jobs available now for people with a PhD in your field? Would you have all of the qualifications to get one? Are they highly competitive? Can you compete? Be honest with yourself.

Would it be better for you to have several years of experience before you get your PhD? Would that make you more employable?

Unless the PhD is in something medical, like physical therapy or audiology, I generally don't recommend that people get PhDs right now because many segments of the economy are terrible, plus you are paying for this advanced degree with loans, you stand the risk of not being able to pay them back in a timely manner because of the economy.

I agree that leaving Montana is probably a good idea. I'm not sure that Boise is much better for professional fields. I'm hearing that they tend to hire locals, first. That's something else that you would want to check into.

A good job in hand beats most college programs right now (not all of them!)

Good luck with your research and choice.

Old 06-25-2015, 11:17 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,853,584 times
well, the heat lasts a lot longer in Tempe than in Boise. In today's market, a CPA is much more valuable than a PhD these days unless in your field everybody is expected to have a PhD. I guess I'd say go to Tempe and finish up your education, Boise will always be there should you decide you don't want to stay in Tempe after you graduate. However, I think a PhD in the PHX area would be much more useful than in the Boise area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues