Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 08:16 AM

52 posts, read 67,749 times

Advertisements

Looks like I will have a good job offer for Richmond so I am considering a huge cross country move from DFW, Texas and its millions of people to a much smaller city. I have visited Richmond before (just for a day though) and read a lot about it, I think it will have enough attractiveness for me. They want me as soon as possible though, and I'm not sure how long to tell them. Anyone with experience doing this sort of thing who can help me ballpark a number of weeks to move? I have a 1400 sqft house I have lived in for 13 years and am somewhat of a packrat. I am guessing 2 months but I don't know. But they prefer that I start sooner than September, the lady I am replacing is due with a baby in September and they want her to train me first. So they prefer mid-August... meaning I would have to start working as soon as I move, I guess. Is that possible? I saw another thread where people recommend 2 weeks to settle but I don't think that 1 week will even be possible with these people wanting me to start right away. I am single and female and may have the help of my parents if they come in from NoVA but that's about it.

I don't know yet what size/kind of place I will have, but I am looking for a similar sized house to rent because I have a cat and 2 little dogs so I want them to have a yard to run around in. That will be another challenge, finding a rental house!

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2015, 08:39 AM

22 posts, read 36,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inkybrown View Post
Looks like I will have a good job offer for Richmond so I am considering a huge cross country move from DFW, Texas and its millions of people to a much smaller city. I have visited Richmond before (just for a day though) and read a lot about it, I think it will have enough attractiveness for me. They want me as soon as possible though, and I'm not sure how long to tell them. Anyone with experience doing this sort of thing who can help me ballpark a number of weeks to move? I have a 1400 sqft house I have lived in for 13 years and am somewhat of a packrat. I am guessing 2 months but I don't know. But they prefer that I start sooner than September, the lady I am replacing is due with a baby in September and they want her to train me first. So they prefer mid-August... meaning I would have to start working as soon as I move, I guess. Is that possible? I saw another thread where people recommend 2 weeks to settle but I don't think that 1 week will even be possible with these people wanting me to start right away. I am single and female and may have the help of my parents if they come in from NoVA but that's about it.

I don't know yet what size/kind of place I will have, but I am looking for a similar sized house to rent because I have a cat and 2 little dogs so I want them to have a yard to run around in. That will be another challenge, finding a rental house!

Thanks.

See if your new company will offer to pay your moving expenses and then hire professionals!

Old 06-25-2015, 09:08 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times
It took 4 guys about 3hours to move everything out of a 3bedroom home to a truck.

(Took them 4 hours to box everything up, That I had not boxed, they did most of it, but I boxed up some stuff to clear stuff to sell house.)

About 1800 SqFT. + some stuff in basement, and 1 side of Garage stuff.

Old 06-25-2015, 09:41 AM

52 posts, read 67,749 times
No, they do not offer moving benefits.
Flyonpa, I was asking more like how long do you think it would take me to pack up my house. You had 1800 sqft, how long did it take you to pack your house? Thx

Old 06-25-2015, 12:44 PM

1,846 posts, read 3,940,305 times
Inkybrown, I have a 1600 square foot house, and live alone. I packed all by myself for a move across town, not as far as your move. I think you may need at least a month to pack and that is working at it pretty briskly and I am retired so no job to distract me. I ended up having 8 weeks and that was more than I needed, though.

Old 06-25-2015, 01:18 PM

983 posts, read 1,055,525 times
Start packing now. Start with stuff that you don't expect to use for a while - Christmas decorations, etc. Label the boxes clearly. By the time you are ready to move, you should be down to just the minimal amount of stuff. When you move, those final boxes that you packed should be the first that you unpack. That way, you'll have clothes for work, basic kitchen things, etc. and can go right to your new job. As you have time after that, you can unpack the rest.

Also, pack a few boxes of supplies that you take with you in your car or whatever. The "can't survive without it" stuff like a few rolls of TP, a complete change of clothes, a set of towels and sheets, and supplies for your pets. That will get you through the first few days in your new home without an emergency run to the store for TP!

Old 06-25-2015, 01:38 PM

983 posts, read 1,055,525 times
As for how long it will take - if you are packing a lot of books, those will pack more quickly than fragile things like china and crystal. Packing always seems to take more time than you think it will, and you are likely to need more boxes than you think you will. Take as much time to move as your company will allow you - you will probably need every bit of time.

Old 06-25-2015, 01:53 PM

7,246 posts, read 7,076,730 times
I packed most of a 2500 sqft house myself. I took many loads to goodwill and had a big yard sale, plus all the stuff we threw or gave away. It took more than two months but I was very thorough.

Old 06-25-2015, 04:38 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Packing yourself is a long process. You have to decide whether to keep or get rid of so much, so quickly. It took us a couple of months of constant working to do the packing we did. Our movers did the packing of the fragile and valuable things. It took them an entire day. But, I had a bigger house with more possessions, I imagine.

If the employer isn't paying for relocation, I'd consider sell almost everything before making the move. This could take forever.

I don't think your employer is being reasonable here, although I get why they need you ASAP.

Old 06-25-2015, 06:00 PM

688 posts, read 1,101,684 times
Professional packers can do a house in a couple of hours.

Doing it yourself can take a week or more, pretty much full time, depending on how much junk you have and how long you have been in that place. The longer, the worse it is.

It really doesn't cost that much to get your stuff packed. The expensive part of moving is the truck, transport, and associated labor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues