Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2015, 06:17 PM

16 posts, read 16,822 times

Advertisements

So this is our story we have set our minds, so this thread will be useful ONLY if you have suggestions. So we are a family of three, husband, wife, one daughter, and another on the way. In under six months we are relocating from NYC to Florida. My husband makes a decent amount and I was a full time student. My husband is a Professional Chef (went to Culinary school ICE).
Our plan:

He gives a one month notice drives to Florida from NYC. He will already have a job lined up (temp) with my cousins boyfriend. He works at a Pizzeria, this is to do something while he finds permanent work in a hotel or restaurant as a Chef, and finds an apt for us to live in. I will be in NYC during that month taking care of things on our end. We will not be taking any furniture with us aside from what can fit. My husbands TV, some towels most of our summer clothing, and a few expensive kitchen items.

Once I get there I will get my license as a home daycare. We plan to live preferably in the Broward County.

So any other suggestions?

I have already pretty much all of the info on how to get my license for the daycare and etc.

We will have a decent sum so that we can live off of it for at least 2-3 months. But of course in the ideal situation my husband will find work quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2015, 08:05 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,000,428 times
I would finish school in NYC before you move, the transfer loss and having to make up credit in a transfer will put your back $'s you spent to get them and about a year as you retake non/transferred classes.

Old 06-29-2015, 04:27 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,442,779 times
Given your husband's background and work plan, start looking at jobs early. Be sure he can find employment in his profession in that area. Orlando may prove to be a better employment fit. The key, again, is employment. You may have to get a job as opposed to running a day care for insurance, etc, as a "temp" job may well not have any insurance coverage.

Big rule is to do your research. Subscribe to the local papers on-line, find out what is going on. Employment trends, jobs in demand, salaries, rents, all are important. Don't go down with stars in your eyes and expect to succeed without preparation.

Good luck

Old 06-29-2015, 01:42 PM

We are honestly so miserable in NYC paying so much money and working so hard and all of our money goes to rent and we live in a **** hole. So we are definitely moving within a year. And so far everyone we know personally that has moved, has had great experiences moving to Florida they're all in the hospitality field.

Old 06-29-2015, 02:55 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,606,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ourfamily3 View Post
And so far everyone we know personally that has moved, has had great experiences moving to Florida they're all in the hospitality field.
Sounds like you have a network in place. Can they see if there are openings or going to be openings and then recommend your husband? That's half of it right there: employers like to hire known entities.

He'll still have to apply and interview, but having good employees vouching for him can make a world of difference.

Old 06-29-2015, 03:31 PM

Yes so far we have one of the general managers from Front of the house (he works in a huge restaurant well known), he will be moving to Florida since his wife landed a job in their corporate dept. He will be working for the same company so he has definitely promised to vouch for him. And of course he will go through the whole process he is great at interviews, since he is confident in what he is doing and has the experience to back it up.

As for me if the daycare business doesn't workout (I hope it does), I have retail management experience so I can probably use that to my advantage. As far as medical I know we can sign up for the Obamacare and pay a monthly fee along with co-pays etc.

Unfortunately, we have to wait almost a year because my husband doesn't want to leave his job before the holidays which is their busiest season. So he wants to leave after Feb, and that way he can also get his PTO which is even more money for us saved up in the long run.

Yes I am terrified of a change we have never done anything like this before, but we all also very excited and looking forward to the change. I have very toxic family members and I would very much like to live as far as possible from them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues