Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 10:03 AM

227 posts, read 329,387 times

Advertisements

My husband and I had applied for a rental apt by providing a application form, credit report access approval form and application fee. We were just told by the super that we were denied because the owner is not satisfied with our background check.
1. Our credit score is 700+ (which thanks to their hard screening gets a dent)
2. We have paid all our bills and rent on time always
3. Our DL is clean
4. Our income is more than 4X rent
5. We are highly educated and have very stable full time jobs

We have not been told why the application was denied in specificity. As a prospective tenant, what rights do i have?
I would request a copy of my tenant screening report for sure but i wish to know how can i ask them to provide me with precise information and reson for denial.
We are asian indian and feel the reason of denial was racial discrimination. I am not 100% sure, but i strongly believe so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 10:19 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,969,651 times
Personally, I would go about my business and find a place to live.
I would not want to live there if I had to force them to rent to me
Sure, you could make an issue of it, but you really have no proof of discrimination.
Yes, you have the right to ask for the "screening report", and "precise information", but I don't believe the landlord has any obligation to give it to you.
I would say you need to find an attorney that specializes in landlord/tenant law in New Jersey.
Of course, the cost of the attorney may well exceed any court ordered payments you might get.

Old 06-26-2015, 10:33 AM

22 posts, read 35,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagreen10 View Post
My husband and I had applied for a rental apt by providing a application form, credit report access approval form and application fee. We were just told by the super that we were denied because the owner is not satisfied with our background check.
3. Our DL is clean

We have not been told why the application was denied in specificity. As a prospective tenant, what rights do i have?
I would request a copy of my tenant screening report for sure but i wish to know how can i ask them to provide me with precise information and reson for denial.
We are asian indian and feel the reason of denial was racial discrimination. I am not 100% sure, but i strongly believe so.
Perhaps call the owner directly and find out why he isn't satisfied? Perhaps there was something missing that is needed.

Old 06-26-2015, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Personally, I would go about my business and find a place to live.
I would not want to live there if I had to force them to rent to me
Sure, you could make an issue of it, but you really have no proof of discrimination.
Yes, you have the right to ask for the "screening report", and "precise information", but I don't believe the landlord has any obligation to give it to you.
I would say you need to find an attorney that specializes in landlord/tenant law in New Jersey.
Of course, the cost of the attorney may well exceed any court ordered payments you might get.
agree, But i am beyond pissed. And yes, i would not stay there anyhow. Just really zonked what gives!

Old 06-26-2015, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shades9323 View Post
Perhaps call the owner directly and find out why he isn't satisfied? Perhaps there was something missing that is needed.
The owner manages the community viz the super that means i dont even have the name, address or telephone number of the owner and the super says he doesnt know anythign and just relaying the message.
Just rude.

Old 06-26-2015, 11:22 AM

1,544 posts, read 1,698,831 times
I would bet that the real reason you were denied is that either the super or the owner already has a tenant they want to rent to.

Old 06-26-2015, 11:25 AM

He said she wasnt satisfied with my background check

Old 06-26-2015, 11:31 AM

22 posts, read 35,961 times
Quote:
The owner manages the community viz the super that means i dont even have the name, address or telephone number of the owner and the super says he doesnt know anythign and just relaying the message.
Just rude.

Ask the super for the owners number?

Old 06-26-2015, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shades9323 View Post
Ask the super for the owners number?
I had asked for it before and he said she likes to deal via him only.
This is more like a vent post, i am really not hoping for any solutions (not like its gonna help either) but we were told as long as our credit is okay it should be fine. I had setup tours with daycares and what not.

Old 06-26-2015, 12:44 PM

509 posts, read 554,329 times
Quote:
3. Our DL is clean

Probably this, but they will never admit to it.
Best to let it go and hope the next place you look at isn't run by bigots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues