Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2015, 08:39 AM

32 posts, read 37,031 times

Advertisements

I thought I would try to repost again since apparently what I thought posted last night didn't show here.

I still have not decided on where to relocate as of yet. I want very much to move out west to be near the many national parks that I haven't seen, live in a more milder climate, be surrounded by more forest than I am here, and live closer to the ocean than I am here.

As my kids are all grown and no longer living with me and I really have the freedom to move and find work anywhere I wish to. I could stay put and continue my job and visit the national parks when time and finances allow to or take the plunge and make some positive life changes that will enrich my life. I have lived in the Dallas-Fort Worth area for over 30 years and the heat and humidity is becoming problematic in that I don't enjoy doing outdoor activities as I used to. In other words, as I have gotten older, I don't care for high temps and humidity anymore.

I have narrowed my choices somewhat to moving to either Portland (Oregon), Seattle area, Charlotte (NC) or Atlanta. I have done my research on everything possible related to cost of living, climate, economics, rent costs, crime, education, etc. etc. on the four cities mentioned. I do know San Francisco area is out of my league financially and maybe Portland and the Seattle area as well. However, where there is a will there is a way. I could find a roommate to help share living expenses or find an affordable studio apt if there is such a thing out west.

The cities mentioned on the east side-Atlanta, Georgia or Charlotte, NC would be second alternatives only because three of my four kids live in the area although spread apart by a few states. It would be wonderful to live closer to them yet not sure I would want to right now.

My passion is to visit as many national parks out west and often -that is be within a few days drive than be east and have to fly to them. I know the east has many national parks as well but I have already been to most of them. If I choose to live out west, it would not be for the rest of my life-just long enough to fulfill some of my outdoor passions for a few years, then move closer to my children once they start their families and want to have "grandma" nearer.

I do know that moving out west solo is a big step but I am the adventurous type, make friends easily, and am flexible with job choices. The only thing that I would like advice on is the comparisons of the four major cities and yes, I know that there are forums just for particular cities I have mentioned but this is more of a general moving relocation advice I am seeking. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2015, 08:58 AM

25,742 posts, read 21,891,700 times
We lived in Fayetteville, NC and found it humid, hot in the summer and we had an ice storm in the winter not to mention the bugs gone wild. Not sure about GA, but still, wouldn't that be humid? Cost of living was high in NC for us. We preferred for southern living, SE AL. We love "low cost of living".

I don't know about the other locations you are thinking about. In your place and I nearly am, I would consider full-time RVing. May not be your style but you'll find plenty of people in OR and WA in the summer escaping the heat of AZ, TX, etc. It is a good way to sample certain areas without making a commitment too. You could also find jobs in the parks and if it sounds in any way enticing, check out some possibilities here: Summer Jobs and Seasonal Jobs in Great Places | CoolWorks.com I know it is way off target from what you are looking at but since you are having a difficult time deciding and mistakes can be expensive, just thought I would introduce the idea.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 06-27-2015, 09:00 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,442,427 times
Listen to yourself. Drop Atlanta and Charlotte off your list. You've already said you can move to these cities later after you've had your west coast adventure.

For Portland or Seattle, start looking and applying for jobs. Having realistic job prospects and a decent income will be paramount. Start pricing small apartments. Basically, do your due diligence.

Old 06-27-2015, 10:15 AM

32 posts, read 37,031 times
I am not going blindly. I have been doing just that-pricing and applying for jobs out west for quite some time. Not getting any nibbles yet but am not sitting on my laurels waiting for something to drop into my lap either.

As far as full time RVing I have had several friends say the same thing but I have never done RVing before more or less been inside one. The only way would be to get one to rent and see if that type of lifestyle would be appealing-take it out on the road for a weekend. Because it is just me, I would certainly want an affordable used one and one that would not be big-a small RV at best that can fit on most parking lots. I do wonder about health care insurance (ACA) and how would I get mail, etc. It's not something I would consider without doing homework on it but it's a thought. If nothing else, may have to stay put where I am at and save more money before making a move to a big city out west or considering the RV life.

Old 06-27-2015, 11:18 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,568,251 times
A converted camping van might work well for you. It would be good to go and stay in these locations for a bit at different times of the year.

Examples: https://www.classicvans.com/camper-vans/

My friend rented one of these for a week and I stayed in it for several days. It was too crowded for two, but I would have been happy in it solo for several months, I think:

https://www.classicvans.com/camper-v...alta-22qd.html

I agree about dropping GA and NC off your list for now.

Also look into Colorado. I think that you may find the coast too wet and gray after all of the sunshine you had in TX and develop joint or sinus problems that you didn't have before, plus the economy might be a little better in your field.

Old 06-27-2015, 12:55 PM

15,997 posts, read 20,995,781 times
I want to mention one thing and that is if you are on the older side you may want to think about how you would feel if for whatever reason you found yourself 'stuck' in your new location for longer than you plan on. Another recession, a job loss, health or mobility issues crop up, etc and moving back east takes longer than you wanted, will you still be relatively happy in the new location?
Not so much of a concern for a younger person but if you are in your late 50's or older it might be a bigger issue.

Old 06-28-2015, 05:18 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,628,514 times
If you don't like high temps and humidity, DO NOT move to Atlanta or anywhere in the South. It is hot and humid all summer. Atlanta is a big city with lots and lots of traffic.

Old 06-28-2015, 06:29 PM

6,954 posts, read 12,014,187 times
What about AZ? It's pretty cheap living here and the only bad season is summer, when it's hot as hell. You would be close to NM, CA, CO, Utah, and there are lots of parks in those states. This is a good place if you like the desert. I, personally, have been here long enough, but when I was a newbie, I loved it.

Old 07-01-2015, 07:29 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,823,866 times
Portland is very expensive and apartments are at a premium (as they are all over the west coast). Vancouver WA (across the bridge) is somewhat less so. Seattle is very expensive too, unless you go to a smaller city north of Seattle. You might want to check out Spokane (but they do get a lot of snow). Please keep in mind that find employment when you are older (you mentioned your kids are grown) can be a real challenge.

Old 07-06-2015, 01:35 PM

10,931 posts, read 11,682,389 times
Vancouver, WA, across the river from Portland, as the previous poster mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues