U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2008, 08:33 PM

42 posts, read 185,049 times

Advertisements

I have an uncle who owns his own international shipping company that can ship anywhere in the world and now I'm thinking of getting into the business. How interested would US citizens be into freight transporation whether it be importing goods or exporting?

Does anyone have any contacts for companies that are in need of these services?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 09:10 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,355,773 times
Personally I would be very interested -- IF you have reasonable rates. Right now, my daughter lives in Australia. I can't send her anything because it's too expensive. Go price the cost of shipping a 10# package from the USA to the east coast of Australia, and you'll see what I mean. It's obscene. DHL quotes around $186...and that's not for express, either. I wouldn't care if it took 6 weeks to get there by ship, as long as I could get a rate that doesn't make me want to smash my fist into the computer

If you could beat those prices (and I mean really beat them, not just undercut them by a couple bucks) then I for one would use your company a lot.

Old 01-23-2008, 11:30 AM

6,351 posts, read 20,384,993 times
It would be VERY tough competing with the big guys; DHL, FED EX, UPS and others. Not trying to dissuade you but do your homework before you leap. Transporting freight is a VERY competitive business and it's awfully hard to compete with the big guys on price. Best of luck!

Old 01-23-2008, 12:39 PM

Well my uncle has been in the business for about 25 years and I m sure they know what they are doing. Besides they ship all over the world and I know Fed Ex, UPS and DHL also ship but as the previous poster stated that the fees are a little costly.
Can yo usend me an email and I can align you with my uncle who is currently in the country until tomorrow. You could perhaps speak with him while he is here. Let me know how interested you are. He has agents all around the world.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:39 AM

2,008 posts, read 6,444,795 times
I was a international shipper of our "close quarter non-leathel weapons and equipment. For a couple of years. If you start this business. I would suggest, as soon as you find out what product someone is shipping. Have a checklist of the packaging and labeling. For the customer. That way you won't have to repack or re-lable. It will make a dependent customer and happy one. As You have done all the work ahead of time. As well as arrangeing shipping..

Old 01-26-2008, 06:42 PM

6,351 posts, read 20,384,993 times
Triniman, I think Shadowalker has the right idea. Find a niche market that requires specialized service to the customer and you might do well there. The big guys are less likely to want to get involved in difficult/specialized shipments. They depend on volume and speed, neither of which aren't always conducive to serving specialized customers...

Old 01-28-2008, 09:37 AM

Thnaks for the advise. The business is operated already by my uncle. I am now tryign to egt involved and get some new business in the US. I do understand what yo uguys are sayign but they specialize in everyhtign from logistics to customs etc....

Old 01-31-2008, 11:40 AM

2,008 posts, read 6,444,795 times
Specialize in something like Hazardous shipping. That is a very big pain to the customer to ship abroad. But we make things here that alot of people want from us. I shipped stuff around the world for police and military. Also you might look into shipping for the embassy's. Now I won't even go into what we shipped. BUT. If you get in with some of the companies that do this.
MONEY

Old 01-31-2008, 02:30 PM

Very true. I didn`t even think about that. Do you still have a need for a shipping company? I will also look into that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues