Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2015, 09:19 AM

26,650 posts, read 28,557,937 times

Advertisements

I know this may seem trivial to some but as a person with health issues, I am worried. Currently I live in Massachusetts and there is no spraying except at the end of the summer when mosquito borne diseases could be a problem. The town notifies everyone so they can cover their vegetable gardens or go to a motel if they don't want to be breathing pesticides.

We are retired and have already chosen an apartment complex near Virginia Beach and Chesapeake since I have family nearby. Now I'm hearing that "They're always spraying for something."

I know they do spray all summer long for mosquitoes. But how often would they be spraying? Also, do people in that area use pesticides on their lawns? We have a dog who would be sniffing the grass and also we would be walking on sidewalks near the grass. The stuff the city uses is synthetic pyrethrum--same thing they wanted to use on my house when it had termites. In the end they used natural pyrethrum and it was fine.

My realtor told me that when the original owners had the house exterminated, whatever they used reeked and she (the realtor) had an asthma attack and had to leave. I am trying to avoid illness and chemical exposure. So--does anyone in the general area to which I plan to move know how often this spraying is done and if it's commonplace for apartment complexes to use pesticides on the lawns? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2015, 02:48 PM

2,361 posts, read 4,858,873 times
I'm thinking you might get a better response posting to the Virginia Beach area section instead of the Moving Issues section. They would probably know more about what and when spraying occurs. I also have allergies and totally understand your concerns and if I were you I would definitely want to hear from those most familiar with it.

Old 07-05-2015, 04:23 PM

16,010 posts, read 21,025,382 times
I would contact the city/county directly. Where I live now in TN they spray very seldom, which is in direct contrast to my former TN city where it seemed they sprayed 'all the time'. I don't think this is a general type of question but probably very much dependent on location.

Old 07-05-2015, 04:33 PM

1,843 posts, read 3,929,457 times
We have regular heavy spraying for mosquitos here in the New Orleans suburbs. It never bothers me at all, amazingly. I have never been bitten by a mosquito here either, so for me it's win-win.

Now, Virginia and Chesapeake? I lived in Norfolk back in the mid 1970's, and honestly I don't even remember if they sprayed or not. I agree with the others; you need to find out more about Chesapeake, Virginia. Probably the section of the City-Data forums dedicated to that particular area would give you better answers than we can provide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues