Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 05:27 PM

169 posts, read 154,692 times

Advertisements

My Dr. has been telling my husband and I that living in AZ (weather) will help with our health issues. What are some of the things you would like to share about your transition? Please help!

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2015, 05:39 PM

837 posts, read 2,334,872 times
Gave away a lot of tools, furniture, and other replaceable items. Packed up the ABF U-Pack trailer and flew out here.

Even after getting rid of a lot of possessions, I still found myself with lots of useless crap. I have been slowly purging myself from possessions that are replaceable and do not bring me joy. I've gotten rid of so much, it has been truly liberating. I feal as though I could literally pick up and move anywhere in the world with minimal effort. I will never allow myself to be weighted down with useless crap again.
Plus, when you pass away, its just a burden for your loved ones to go through all your crap and decipher what was important versus what's junk.

Old 07-08-2015, 06:01 PM

194 posts, read 291,949 times
We moved here for my health and a better quality of life last fall. So far we love it and absolutely know it was the right decision.

Moving from Montana, we got rid of all cold weather gear except a couple coats for camping or what not. We sold most of our furniture that was replaceable (kept beds and my dining table cause I love it). Honestly I felt like we sold so much stuff, but having 3 young kids we still had the largest u-haul you can get! It was exhausting.

We came down to AZ for a month last spring to really search the area. Then we just up and moved! So happy here!

Old 07-08-2015, 06:36 PM

122 posts, read 719,809 times
I have some high-level suggestions;

We researched for two years before relocating here from the east coast. Research movers, if needed, and how to recover if items are damaged. Research how to hire and what to look for regarding movers.

Spend lots of time out here visiting areas you may want to move too. You will receive lots of good advice here on City-Data, but you cannot beat your own opinion. In my case, we did not end up living where most here recommend, and we love our destination! However, since moving here, there is another area I like even more, but not enough to move again.

Experience our blazing summer heat. It is not for everyone. Although residents can escape it temporarily, it cannot be avoided, unless one moves again. I myself can tolerate 110+ temps vs. 30* and lower temps.

Know anyone already living here? Take advantage of the knowledge they can give you. I was lucky in that respect as I had many friends here already.

If you are considering a neighborhood with an HOA, research it. Most HOA CC&R's can be found on their websites.

It is sometimes dusty here in the valley. I had allergies back east, but am fine out here. My wife only had pet allergies back east, but now is on medication and treatment to control her new allergies. We both enjoy the outdoors and do so more than not.

We have been here going on six years and have no plans on leaving anytime soon. Good luck.

Old 07-08-2015, 06:54 PM

551 posts, read 693,471 times
Figure out how attached to your furniture and other items you love. If you can sell stuff on craigslist or otherwise, do it, and then buy new if you don't really care. Moving furniture can sometimes be cheaper to buy new, but do your research. The internet can give you rough ideas of cost of moving (yourself vs professionals) and what new furniture will cost (obviously also depending on your style choices and lifestyle.)

Maybe search around these forums or the internet also to see other people with similar conditions and see if AZ helped them. I know it helped some of mine, but everyone's case is different.

Old 07-09-2015, 11:26 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,604,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Cadillac_Lawyer View Post
Gave away a lot of tools, furniture, and other replaceable items. Packed up the ABF U-Pack trailer and flew out here.

Even after getting rid of a lot of possessions, I still found myself with lots of useless crap. I have been slowly purging myself from possessions that are replaceable and do not bring me joy. I've gotten rid of so much, it has been truly liberating. I feal as though I could literally pick up and move anywhere in the world with minimal effort. I will never allow myself to be weighted down with useless crap again.
Plus, when you pass away, its just a burden for your loved ones to go through all your crap and decipher what was important versus what's junk.
Such good advice!
Sell or get rid of all your furniture and accessories. Phoenix has a Tuscan style for the majority of homes. You will want a different look inside to match. Unless it's a family herlom I'd have an estate sale and get ride of it. It's costly to move large items and exhausting to do it yourself to save money.

When you get here you will find we have tons of nice furniture for cheap prices. Compared to California where I also have a place, AZ has great deals on some good stuff.

I will never clutter up a home again. I also love the freedom it brings and it's so easy to clean now.

Moving will just be exciting and enjoyable without all weight. You will love it here if you have any joint or bone issues. The heat allows increased mobility and the lack of humidity is more comfortable for many lung issues. Not to mention, no snow, ice, just some dust which is pretty easy to deal with compared to the cold stuff.

Old 07-09-2015, 02:06 PM

169 posts, read 154,692 times
Default How did you prepare yourself to move across country?

Thank you all for the helpful tidbits. My greatest fear comes with the leaving my job. I don't want to quit w/o securing employment in AZ. Any advise about that part of the transition? Initially, my plans are to move my family there and return to IN for work. I want to be sure all is settled and that we have medication etc. in case it takes longer to secure another job.

Old 07-09-2015, 04:17 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,229,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneWayStreet View Post
I have some high-level suggestions;

We researched for two years before relocating here from the east coast. Research movers, if needed, and how to recover if items are damaged. Research how to hire and what to look for regarding movers.

Spend lots of time out here visiting areas you may want to move too. You will receive lots of good advice here on City-Data, but you cannot beat your own opinion. In my case, we did not end up living where most here recommend, and we love our destination! However, since moving here, there is another area I like even more, but not enough to move again.

Experience our blazing summer heat. It is not for everyone. Although residents can escape it temporarily, it cannot be avoided, unless one moves again. I myself can tolerate 110+ temps vs. 30* and lower temps.

Know anyone already living here? Take advantage of the knowledge they can give you. I was lucky in that respect as I had many friends here already.

If you are considering a neighborhood with an HOA, research it. Most HOA CC&R's can be found on their websites.

It is sometimes dusty here in the valley. I had allergies back east, but am fine out here. My wife only had pet allergies back east, but now is on medication and treatment to control her new allergies. We both enjoy the outdoors and do so more than not.

We have been here going on six years and have no plans on leaving anytime soon. Good luck.
Which area do you like better than Peoria?

Old 07-09-2015, 04:19 PM

47 posts, read 54,033 times
I just moved here from Ohio. If I were to go back and do it again, I would have sold all my furniture and replaced it once I got here or I would have gotten a Uhaul and moved it ourselves. Aside from being 6 days late (after we had already been in town for 2 weeks), the moving company (that was contracted by my new job to relocate me) broke my dresser, broke my nightstand, and allowed my son's mattress and my sofa to get wet in storage and both items now have mold. We did sell and get rid of a lot before the actual pack and load, but I should have still gotten rid of more.

We looked at moving here (or anywhere warm, really) for a while and when I got a job offer that made it worth moving, we took the plunge. I had horrible seasonal allergies in Ohio. The day we got here, they were gone. However, I'm sure I'll find something here to be allergic to.

Old 07-09-2015, 05:14 PM

2,773 posts, read 5,726,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracarys View Post
I just moved here from Ohio. If I were to go back and do it again, I would have sold all my furniture and replaced it once I got here or I would have gotten a Uhaul and moved it ourselves. Aside from being 6 days late (after we had already been in town for 2 weeks), the moving company (that was contracted by my new job to relocate me) broke my dresser, broke my nightstand, and allowed my son's mattress and my sofa to get wet in storage and both items now have mold. We did sell and get rid of a lot before the actual pack and load, but I should have still gotten rid of more.

We looked at moving here (or anywhere warm, really) for a while and when I got a job offer that made it worth moving, we took the plunge. I had horrible seasonal allergies in Ohio. The day we got here, they were gone. However, I'm sure I'll find something here to be allergic to.

Good point about the movers. Also, if you are moving from an area where not a lot of people are moving to (for me it was CT) then your stuff can end up in storage while they wait for an over the road driver to arrive so lightening the load as much as possible is a big plus.

If I were to do it again (I have very good hindsight, almost 20/20) I would go with an ABF/Pod type ops, have a local mover pack and load (unless you have real experience) and then call the local fire dept (I know someone who did this in Surprise) and have those guys unload.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues