Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 09:32 AM

922 posts, read 1,103,887 times

Advertisements

Whether it was from your family, friends, colleagues, etc- did you come across any opposition or downright hostility when you moved? If you did, how did you handle it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 12:16 PM

1,843 posts, read 3,924,495 times
Absolutely none. I am 67 years old, and while I always welcome a thoughtful, constructive critique of my decisions, ultimately I don't tolerate pushy or judgmental behavior if it seems disrespectful of my choices.

Old 07-21-2015, 12:40 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,560,552 times
OP, in some cases, it's worth it to take a few minutes to find out why they are negative about the move. If the criticism is from wise people who are well-traveled, then the plans might be worth re-evaluating.

For example, an older relative who has a successful career suggests that her 19-year-old nephew acquire a trade or a CDL before moving across the country. That is good advice in today's economy.

On the other hand, if it's from co-workers or relatives who are stuck where they are in life through questionable choices or who clearly have their own agendas (But who is going to babysit my kids when you move? Who is going to drive me to the doctor?) then I would just ignore their words.

In short, consider the source and act accordingly.

Old 07-21-2015, 08:40 PM

60 posts, read 86,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berrie143 View Post
Whether it was from your family, friends, colleagues, etc- did you come across any opposition or downright hostility when you moved? If you did, how did you handle it?
I have moved many times to different states far away from my family and friends. I have pretty much gotten at least the question "WHY?" every time.
I've moved to some obscure places in what seemingly, and kinda was, spur of the moment with only a month in advance. So that may have something to do with the reaction I get. But it's never stopped me! I take it with a grain of salt and do what I want.
I only think of it as "Am I missing something that could potentially make me homeless or leave me in some kind of bad situation?" I don't let it stop me. Life is short. Be happy.

Old 07-22-2015, 09:21 AM

204 posts, read 289,694 times
My parents are not happy with my decision to move because I do not already have a job lined up. So, I totally get why they are worried (to be fair, I'm worried myself.) I have to remind myself though that I'm going to be 30 so no one can really stop me from going. I have money saved, and my boyfriend and I have everything planned out well (minus the job part.) My parents would also love to build a house for me and my brother in the backyard and keep us there forever if they could, so, clearly they have some issues lol

Old 07-22-2015, 10:09 AM

922 posts, read 1,103,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu00 View Post
My parents are not happy with my decision to move because I do not already have a job lined up. So, I totally get why they are worried (to be fair, I'm worried myself.) I have to remind myself though that I'm going to be 30 so no one can really stop me from going. I have money saved, and my boyfriend and I have everything planned out well (minus the job part.) My parents would also love to build a house for me and my brother in the backyard and keep us there forever if they could, so, clearly they have some issues lol
^^^This is my parents! My husband and I have thought and talked about moving out of CA to TX for YEARS; 2 years ago we tried to make it a reality and it was a disaster. Not a disaster on our part, the disaster was the reaction and treatment we received from my parents and siblings. It was nothing short of awful and it damaged things between all of us. This time around, though, my husband and I have refused to allow any of their guilt trips, etc., to get to us. We know we're making the best decision for our own family and they just need to get used to it.

Old 07-22-2015, 10:36 AM

396 posts, read 510,041 times
None whatsoever. We had friends who weren't overjoyed we were leaving but understood the rationale.

I'm not sure how I would have handled it if someone were openly hostile or ridiculed the choice. Probably, "Deal with it."

Old 07-22-2015, 10:49 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,928,356 times
Yes, People were picketing in front of the my house, Some layed down in the street to block the moving truck from leaving.

JK... My Mom (Who lives 6hr away, said so we are not going to see you as often...) But few or drove up bunch of times. My Sister 1hr away, was little bummed about it since she would now need to do the Drive to family (6hr) alone most of the time. (Few times, did coordinate my trips north so I could pick her up on the way.)

Old 07-25-2015, 09:40 AM

37,754 posts, read 40,839,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berrie143 View Post
I didn't ask for opinions. I just announced my plans to move out of state and my move date. But, that's the kind of personality I have. I don't recommend it for everyone.

The first big move out of state was for a job promotion (same employer). The only one who got her nose out of joint was a higher up boss because I didn't ask for a recommendation or for anyone to grease the skids for me. I just applied, interviewed and announced I got it and when I was going. I only heard through the grapevine that she didn't like it and frankly, I didn't care. My friends got why I was going. I was fairly recently divorced. It was a good move for me 12 years before I retired, especially financially plus I had lived in that general location before I was married.

The second big move was for retirement. I suspect tongues wagged for the retirement move (no one had a clue until I told them - I had explored one other place prior to that and rejected it) but not to my face because I never listen to anyone and just do what I want anyway so they would know it was pointless. If the friends back home thought it was an odd choice for location, instead of returning "home" they didn't say it and because I told them via e-mail, if they had something to say about it, I wouldn't know. The work friends from the second location were just work friends. I wouldn't be concerned about what they thought. It's very expensive to live in both of those prior locations and there wouldn't be that much for me to do there. Plus, aside from some health issues, I'm doing very well in my retirement location.

Old 07-25-2015, 07:38 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,353,993 times
Every time. People around me can't ever fathom why I move to the places I do and do the things that I do. Well, I live my own life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues