Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2015, 03:36 PM

2 posts, read 1,568 times

Advertisements

I will be moving overseas early next year and will be buying a 45' high cube container to ship my households goods.
I will be buying it because I need a few months to load it and also will need it at the destination.
I found a company that will deliver it to my house. I checked with several shipping company and most of them will provide the container which I don't need.
Is there any particular shipping company that will pick up my own container and deliver it to the port.
The company I'm buying the container will deliver it on a tilt truck but the shipping company say they will have to use a crane but there is not space on my driveway to accommodate the crane.
Just wondering how to figure out this.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 04:49 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,364,927 times
Doesn't the tilt-bed trucks both pick up and deliver these containers? I guess I'm not understanding your question. Is the shipping company saying they will have to use a crane to pick up the loaded container at your house? Normally they only use a crane at the port to place the container onto the ship.

Many years ago I loaded and unloaded 40'-45'railroad piggyback containers onto railroad flat cars so your question and any answers you get are of interest to me. Back then we used trucks to back the loaded containers onto the flat cars. Each container had a removable set of tandem boggies (wheels) that went on the flat with the container.

But I digress. Couldn't you just hire a local trucking company that can handle containers on the ground to deliver your container to the shipping company at the port?

Old 09-04-2015, 04:54 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,863,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEMY View Post
I will be buying it because I need a few months to load it and also will need it at the destination.
If I was your shipper, I would also NOT use yours !!

Whatever *I* ship for you will be insured and it will be a *sound* container.
I have no idea what your container is like ...
During sipping, each container is locked to another !!

Shipping containers, sold to private parties, are usually those which may not meet current spec ?
The containers which are shipped overseas, have seals on the doors, for instance.
The container you may be buying may not have good seals anymore ?

I really doubt that you will be able to do this.

I wonder if you could use one of those storage pods.
I am not sure what their exact size is, but they *may* fit inside a regulation container ?

Old 09-07-2015, 08:43 PM

2 posts, read 1,568 times
The shipping company said that they will not pickup a loaded container with a tilt bed truck because when its lifted the cargo will move all the way to the back and get damaged. they will use a slider truck but the problem is my driveway is not wide enough to accommodate the truck beside the container.
Irman,,My container is brand new seaworthy certified and the shipper will provide the seals for the doors so no problem with the regulations.

Old 09-09-2015, 10:50 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,863,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEMY View Post
The shipping company said that they will not pickup a loaded container with a tilt bed truck because when its lifted the cargo will move all the way to the back and get damaged. they will use a slider truck but the problem is my driveway is not wide enough to accommodate the truck beside the container.
Irman,,My container is brand new seaworthy certified and the shipper will provide the seals for the doors so no problem with the regulations.
OK ... , just make sure that whoever will actually ship *your* container,
will accept yours, and get it on paper !!

When we moved overseas (more than once),
we were not allowed to pack anything ourselves.
They insured everything, and that was one of the conditions I had to agree with.
I can understand that and thus agreed !

They did a fantastic job, and it was worth every penny.

Keep in mind that going away from the USA, it goes by weight,
and coming back from *Europe in our case*, it went by volume ... !

We used the same shipper and interestingly with every move,
it was the same crew who packed it *at home*,
and the same crew who unpacked us at the new destination.
Kind of assuring that you get to know the people who do the job !

Funny story about the first time we did that.
My wife's parents came over to watch the kids.
Her parents are the kind who need their *own* pillows !
So they took the kids out while the packers did their things.
When it was all done we could not find the pillows of her folks.
Talk about going shopping and getting the same kind ...
A total nightmare that was !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues