Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where Should I Move?
Austin, Texas 3 21.43%
Atlanta, Georgia 1 7.14%
Boston, Massachusetts 3 21.43%
Charlotte, North Carolina 3 21.43%
Dallas, Texas 1 7.14%
Denver, Colorado 1 7.14%
Houston, Texas 1 7.14%
Miami, Florida 0 0%
Phoenix, Arizona 2 14.29%
Portland, Oregon 3 21.43%
San Antonio, Texas 1 7.14%
Seattle, Washington 3 21.43%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 01:47 PM

6 posts, read 5,433 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I'm new here to these forums.

I will be moving in December 2015 or January 2016.

Out of the 12 cities listed in the poll where do you feel I should move? These are the things/factors I'm looking for. Based on the numbered list below, what city do you feel fits this criteria the most?

1. A city that has a pretty strong cultural presence in the form of operas, museums, theaters and symphonies.

2. A city that has a pretty strong financial/banking background. I will be working as a bank examiner. After I work as a bank examiner for several years I want to work as a financial advisor and hopefully get into investment baking if possible. Also am very interested in working as a salesman for medical equipment. Eventually, I want to start my own business. (around 10 years from now)

3. A city that has good race relations. This is very important for me. Here is what I look like. Based on how I look, what cities will I face the least amount of discrimination? Which cities will offer a lot of discrimination?

4. A city where I can study the night sky and use my telescope in the evening. I know there are some places where you can't do this because of the smog, bright lights, etc. I am interested in astronomy as a hobby so this is pretty important.

5. I am also interested in real estate/real estate investment. So somewhere I can make pretty good money in real estate investment would be nice.

6. I want to climb the social ladder and elevate my social standing as much as possible. Which city would give me the best possibility of doing that? I guess this ties into my third point on my list of factors.

7. Somewhere that doesn't have too high a cost of living. Very important. I will have $57,000 in student loan debt when I graduate in December 2015 so please keep that in mind. Which cities will I be able to afford to live in and which will I not?

8. I would like to marry a woman who is Catholic. I am 29 years old now and want to get married in my mid thirties.

Please give me advice on what cities you feel have most of these points I listed.

Also, if you feel there is another city I should strongly consider not in the poll please let me know. I am sort of worried regarding this and need to really narrow down the list on places I should strongly consider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 03:27 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,609,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave24 View Post

8. I would like to marry a woman who is Catholic. I am 29 years old now and want to get married in my mid thirties.
You might start your search by picking your three top cities and googling the website of the larger local parishes with singles' groups. You're looking for an active one with slightly older singles. It seems like a lot of practicing Catholic women tend to marry from about ages 23 - 26. I would try to visit a few of these and attend mass and some church activities and then look at the other factors. Chances are, such an area will also have the culture and economy you seek.

I'm going to toss Twin Cities (Minneapolis/St. Paul) onto your list. I'm not sure about the Catholic factor since there is a very large Lutheran population, but it meets a lot of your other criteria and you will find some older single women here with solid morals, even if they aren't Catholic.

As far as a low COL, you don't have to live right in the Cities. Somewhere like Eagan would be close by.

Old 07-30-2015, 04:50 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times
Quote:
Hi everyone, I'm new here to these forums.

I will be moving in December 2015 or January 2016.

Out of the 12 cities listed in the poll where do you feel I should move? These are the things/factors I'm looking for. Based on the numbered list below, what city do you feel fits this criteria the most?
I'm going to just comment on this one point:

Quote:
4. A city where I can study the night sky and use my telescope in the evening. I know there are some places where you can't do this because of the smog, bright lights, etc. I am interested in astronomy as a hobby so this is pretty important.
All cities are going to be lousy - at best - for viewing the night sky. Simply put, you'll need to leave the city. Two cities you list stand out for nearby viewing options.

First, Denver. You can drive into the mountains and get up above 10,000, high above two miles of distorting atmosphere and because of the ruggedness of the Rockies, reasonably far from lights. And the mountain air is moderately dry.

Second, Phoenix. You're nearby a lot of very empty (and light-free) desert and is very dry (humid air being second to light as a hindrance to good viewing). And while you won't find any 10,000-foot peaks near Phoenix (though there are a few in northern and eastern Arizona), you will find desert peaks that will afford both elevation and dry air.

Good luck!

Old 07-30-2015, 05:54 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
You are a nice looking young man. I don't know about the astronomy hobby in Portland, which city I voted for. But for other things, I think Portland is pretty good. Do have a job lined up though. And expect a pretty steep COL, especially regarding taxes and housing.

Portland seems to have some racial problems, but the general public is less intolerant than other places in the US.

Old 07-30-2015, 06:23 PM

2,826 posts, read 2,368,243 times
Someone mentioned Phoenix AZ, did you even READ the post? Arizona routinely has illegal immigrants deported (and often beaten). Plus, if you do not speak Spanish, your chances of being hired are jack.

Georgia I wouldn't recommend due to being in the Deep South. North Carolina, I dunno.

Denver Colorado is not only very cold, but mountainous. Scary driving, and you'd be stuck.

Texas is crap. They are hot, and there are redneck types. Not what you're looking for.

Florida is okay. If you're old, white, and into swamp culture. Pass.

Most of these also have unpleasant weather.

Boston Mass has a good opera culture, as does Portland Oregon, and Seattle Washington. I actually like these places in terms of quality of life. But they are cold, and rather expensive.

In terms of cost of living, there's a simple guideline. Cost of living is higher in the city. Pick a major city, and pick a location roughly 100 miles away, and do what you do small-time. East and South is much cheaper.

Richmond, VA isn't even on the list. It should be. Temperature-wise, neither too hot nor too cold, cost-wise cheaper than the West (you can get an apartment for under $1000 and sometimes under $500), and the area has more than a few South Asians, which you appear to be. There are small town areas where you can probably see the night sky (I used to live a few blocks off Chamberlayne, and they had some suburb areas that were forested and not overlit). They have a Capitol One, some Bank of Americas, and other banking groups. They have a number of historic sites, art centers, and various monuments (including an Edgar Allen Poe museum). I assume they are at least okay with real-estate. In order to climb socially, you have to work hard, if that's your thing (it usually involves staying in an area and becoming a local). I think I answered this one. Gas is pretty cheap, food is cheap, and you can probably do okay if you can find a job. Uhhh, go to a Catholic church. They have a number of them there.

Generally, I would avoid the places on Forbes "top ten" list. They're paid for by businesses, and not based on the whole picture, just economics. You need to look at climate, state culture (you can wiki "culture of ..." by state), employment, town structure (as in, do you need to drive across town or does you town have nearby stores you can walk to) and so on. I would say you want a mix of good culture with not overdeveloped (stargazing), you want cool enough to not be a desert but not so cold or mountainous that you are trapped. This mainly puts you in bigger coastal cities. Chicago, Detroit (both of these are cold, however), Seattle, Portland, Richmond, San Fran (it's in Northern CA, meaning cooler than the rest of Cali), and a few others (maybe Baltimore MD).

Last edited by bulmabriefs144; 07-30-2015 at 06:39 PM..

Old 07-30-2015, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
Someone mentioned Phoenix AZ, did you even READ the post? Arizona routinely has illegal immigrants deported (and often beaten). Plus, if you do not speak Spanish, your chances of being hired are jack.

Georgia I wouldn't recommend due to being in the Deep South. North Carolina, I dunno.

Denver Colorado is not only very cold, but mountainous. Scary driving, and you'd be stuck.

Texas is crap. They are hot, and there are redneck types. Not what you're looking for.

Florida is okay. If you're old, white, and into swamp culture. Pass.

Most of these also have unpleasant weather.

Boston Mass has a good opera culture, as does Portland Oregon, and Seattle Washington. I actually like these places in terms of quality of life. But they are cold, and rather expensive.

In terms of cost of living, there's a simple guideline. Cost of living is higher in the city. Pick a major city, and pick a location roughly 100 miles away, and do what you do small-time. East and South is much cheaper.

Richmond, VA isn't even on the list. It should be. Temperature-wise, neither too hot nor too cold, cost-wise cheaper than the West (you can get an apartment for under $1000 and sometimes under $500), and the area has more than a few South Asians, which you appear to be. There are small town areas where you can probably see the night sky (I used to live a few blocks off Chamberlayne, and they had some suburb areas that were forested and not overlit). They have a Capitol One, some Bank of Americas, and other banking groups. They have a number of historic sites, art centers, and various monuments (including an Edgar Allen Poe museum). I assume they are at least okay with real-estate. In order to climb socially, you have to work hard, if that's your thing (it usually involves staying in an area and becoming a local). I think I answered this one. Gas is pretty cheap, food is cheap, and you can probably do okay if you can find a job. Uhhh, go to a Catholic church. They have a number of them there.

Generally, I would avoid the places on Forbes "top ten" list. They're paid for by businesses, and not based on the whole picture, just economics. You need to look at climate, state culture (you can wiki "culture of ..." by state), employment, town structure (as in, do you need to drive across town or does you town have nearby stores you can walk to) and so on. I would say you want a mix of good culture with not overdeveloped (stargazing), you want cool enough to not be a desert but not so cold or mountainous that you are trapped. This mainly puts you in bigger coastal cities. Chicago, Detroit (both of these are cold, however), Seattle, Portland, Richmond, San Fran (it's in Northern CA, meaning cooler than the rest of Cali), and a few others (maybe Baltimore MD).

Thanks, appreciate the post! What are race relations like in Portland, Seattle and Boston? Do you think I would fit in ok over there?

Old 07-30-2015, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
You are a nice looking young man. I don't know about the astronomy hobby in Portland, which city I voted for. But for other things, I think Portland is pretty good. Do have a job lined up though. And expect a pretty steep COL, especially regarding taxes and housing.

Portland seems to have some racial problems, but the general public is less intolerant than other places in the US.

I don't have a job lined up. I will be graduating in December 2015 with an associates degree in business management. When should I start looking for a job before moving? I would like to move in December 2015/January 2016.

Old 07-30-2015, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
You might start your search by picking your three top cities and googling the website of the larger local parishes with singles' groups. You're looking for an active one with slightly older singles. It seems like a lot of practicing Catholic women tend to marry from about ages 23 - 26. I would try to visit a few of these and attend mass and some church activities and then look at the other factors. Chances are, such an area will also have the culture and economy you seek.

I'm going to toss Twin Cities (Minneapolis/St. Paul) onto your list. I'm not sure about the Catholic factor since there is a very large Lutheran population, but it meets a lot of your other criteria and you will find some older single women here with solid morals, even if they aren't Catholic.

As far as a low COL, you don't have to live right in the Cities. Somewhere like Eagan would be close by.

Appreciate it, thanks. Will start doing that!

Old 08-01-2015, 02:43 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
Quote:
1. A city that has a pretty strong cultural presence in the form of operas, museums, theaters and symphonies.
2. A city that has a pretty strong financial/banking background. I will be working as a bank examiner. After I work as a bank examiner for several years I want to work as a financial advisor and hopefully get into investment baking if possible. Also am very interested in working as a salesman for medical equipment. Eventually, I want to start my own business. (around 10 years from now)
3. A city that has good race relations. This is very important for me. Here is what I look like. Based on how I look, what cities will I face the least amount of discrimination? Which cities will offer a lot of discrimination?
5. I am also interested in real estate/real estate investment. So somewhere I can make pretty good money in real estate investment would be nice.
6. I want to climb the social ladder and elevate my social standing as much as possible. Which city would give me the best possibility of doing that? I guess this ties into my third point on my list of factors.
7. Somewhere that doesn't have too high a cost of living. Very important. I will have $57,000 in student loan debt when I graduate in December 2015 so please keep that in mind. Which cities will I be able to afford to live in and which will I not?
1.Chicago has all these and more
2.Chicago definitely a financial center
3.Chicago is getting better at this
4.Chicago has a planetarium, and if you go out on Lake Michigan, great night views
5.Chciago has an active RE market
6.Chicago has no ceiling as to this, you can go all the way, it is a world-class city + national or international
7.Chicago has a great variety of prices, and you can take the train in from outlying areas
8.Chicago has a huge amount of Catholics: http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Ma...omplete/amount of Catholics:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues