Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 09:32 AM

1,118 posts, read 4,757,422 times

Advertisements

I'm sifting through and donating, selling, tossing, packing and organizing years worth of accumulated stuff. We'll be selling the house this year and moving into a condo we are currently renting out. We'll be living there while traveling to decide where we will relocate eventually.

I've read Ken Walsh's book, "It's All Too Much" for great ideas on remaining focused on what goes and what stays. We'll put a small amount of items in the garage for storage, but we believe that if we can't use it or are madly in love with it, we'd rather pass it on.

I searched for this topic here with no luck. I would love to hear from those who have actually moved from a house to a condo:
~ What did you keep that you actually didn't need / want / use?

~ What did you toss that you wished you had kept?

~ What items are worth their weight in gold for condo living, regarding organizing, comfort, enjoyment?
Thanks very much in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2008, 06:54 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,389,075 times
We moved from a house to a motorhome 3 years ago. Not exactly the same but we now live in about 500 sq. ft. We left all furniture with the house when we sold. We even sold the boat with it. We let the kids have pictures and cut back our pictures to 1 album. We sold almost everything else in garage sales. We have no storage because we can replace everything else if and when we need to.

We cut back on clothes. If you don't work you really don't need many clothes. Just a few pairs of pants, a few summer tops, a few winter tops, a couple of jackets, 1 nice outfit(which I don't have), a pair of sneakers, everyday shoes, and 1 pair of dress shoes.

I really cleaned out my kitchen to true essentials. I only kept a set of 4 place dishes b/c we don't entertain in the motorhome. I don't have any extra gadgets b/c I really didn't use them.

We don't have dvd's, cd's(I got an I-Pod and transfered all my music), videos or any extra clutter stuff.

Life is very claen and easy without the clutter. You can go to www.rv.net/forums and do a search about downsizing or decluttering. All of these fulltimers have had to "purge their stuff" in order to fulltime.

Good Luck. You will feel so free without all the junk. It is so nice to be able to go into a store and not want or need anything. It also saves a lot of money.

Lisa

Old 01-26-2008, 08:40 AM

1,118 posts, read 4,757,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
We moved from a house to a motorhome 3 years ago. Not exactly the same but we now live in about 500 sq. ft. We left all furniture with the house when we sold. We even sold the boat with it. We let the kids have pictures and cut back our pictures to 1 album. We sold almost everything else in garage sales. We have no storage because we can replace everything else if and when we need to.

We cut back on clothes. If you don't work you really don't need many clothes. Just a few pairs of pants, a few summer tops, a few winter tops, a couple of jackets, 1 nice outfit(which I don't have), a pair of sneakers, everyday shoes, and 1 pair of dress shoes.

I really cleaned out my kitchen to true essentials. I only kept a set of 4 place dishes b/c we don't entertain in the motorhome. I don't have any extra gadgets b/c I really didn't use them.

We don't have dvd's, cd's(I got an I-Pod and transfered all my music), videos or any extra clutter stuff.

Life is very claen and easy without the clutter. You can go to www.rv.net/forums and do a search about downsizing or decluttering. All of these fulltimers have had to "purge their stuff" in order to fulltime.

Good Luck. You will feel so free without all the junk. It is so nice to be able to go into a store and not want or need anything. It also saves a lot of money. Lisa
THANK YOU Lisa! Great ideas here. Especially helpful regarding the clothing. I just went through my closet, but still would like to pare down. Really, I tend to wear the same things over and over again, so I need to get realistic.

Thanks again!

Old 01-29-2008, 08:55 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,211,454 times
When we were moving to Ca we went from a 4 bed house to a 2 bed apt. Needless to say we had to really downsize. We followed one simple rule. If you haven't used an item in a year it goes. We got rid of a ton of small appliances, all those silly kitchen gadgets you just have to have and then never use. Books, I kept my favorites, ones that I will read over and over again. The rest I donated to the library. Same with music. Its hard but downsizing can be done.

Old 01-29-2008, 06:21 PM

2 posts, read 9,319 times
Here's what i've learned about moving; anything you find under the bed, get rid of. In hard to reach cabinets and closet areas: don't need those. Discover something you didn't know you had while packing? Add to garage sale. Also, make sure your current furniture fits into where you are moving into!

Old 12-24-2008, 05:56 AM

31 posts, read 307,286 times
If you're not ready to host a garage sale and would rather have a larger buying audience, try selling your things online. It's fun, easy and a great way to get rid of all that stuff in your attic. Besides, you might make enough money to pay for the moving van or the small house repairs or a nice dinner out in your new home city. you can also find some good moving tips in Discount Moving Boxes, Packing Supplies, Movers, Free Shipping DE, NJ, PA, NY, CT, VA site

Old 06-01-2009, 01:47 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times
Me and my fiancee recently dowsized into a house that could have fit in the garage space of my old house

We got rid of basically everything before the move. We sold things on eBay, craigslist, garage sales etc etc because we wanted to start with a clean slate in our new place. We moved with a dresser, clothing and pots/pans/dishes and our dog.

It was really nice to sit in the house for a few weeks and really get a 'feel' for the new space. We're really lucky we didn't bring our furniture and whanots because they didn't go with the feel of the new place at all. With the money we made off of selling our old stuff, we were able to purchase new (well... most of it was from craigslist/garage sales) things that fit our new house well.

I recommend getting rid of whatever you can and just taking the time to see what looks and feels right for you in your new place

Old 06-01-2009, 02:44 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,174,310 times
I downsized last year when moving into a condo. After living there awhile with only the bare essentials, when I did get my stuff moved out of storage.... I realized I had WAY more stuff that I actually needed or wanted. I got rid of a whole lot of stuff. It was so wonderful to feel free of hauling around so many belongings for decades. Now, life is much simpler and I have less to clean/dust/vacuum.

Old 06-01-2009, 02:56 PM

176 posts, read 638,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surajis View Post
Here's what i've learned about moving; anything you find under the bed, get rid of. In hard to reach cabinets and closet areas: don't need those. Discover something you didn't know you had while packing? Add to garage sale. Also, make sure your current furniture fits into where you are moving into!
Aargh. Good advice, but, that sentence. What if theres some good stuff you've put there but havnt used for years. Tell me its a judgement call and not a point blank statement please?

Old 06-04-2009, 09:31 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,002,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionsdale View Post
Aargh. Good advice, but, that sentence. What if theres some good stuff you've put there but havnt used for years. Tell me its a judgement call and not a point blank statement please?
If you are downsizing from a 2000 sf home to a 800 sf condo stuff has to go. While a little judgement needs to be used, for some people it needs to taken as a point blank statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues