Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2015, 02:53 PM

805 posts, read 1,081,958 times

Advertisements

We moved 2,000 miles (Astoria, IL to Ramona, CA) a week ago. Only rented a 16' trailer, wasn't big enough, so we had to leave about a roomful of stuff at our old place. Now we're all settled in and we'd really like our stuff back!

We've looked into U-Box, but not much else. I am flying back for a party at the end of October- should I consider renting a U-Haul to take the last load home with me? I keep thinking, there's got to be a cheaper way to do this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2015, 10:36 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,021,395 times
Try U-Haul's U-Box. They provide you with large container, you fill it, they pick it up on a flatbed truck and drive it to your destination for you. You do not pay for the gas and expenses.

Old 08-11-2015, 07:33 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,574,933 times
Also research U Pack relocubes if you don't want to drive back -- similar to the U Box but if you are near a hub, they may be a few dollars cheaper.

http://www.upack.com/moving-services...ainer-size.asp

Old 08-11-2015, 07:51 AM

11,412 posts, read 7,765,812 times
Try UShip. You post what you have to move and movers (with some extra room on the truck) bid for your business.

Old 08-11-2015, 10:16 AM

7,490 posts, read 13,537,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyyfanatic85 View Post
We moved 2,000 miles (Astoria, IL to Ramona, CA) a week ago. Only rented a 16' trailer, wasn't big enough, so we had to leave about a roomful of stuff at our old place. Now we're all settled in and we'd really like our stuff back!

We've looked into U-Box, but not much else. I am flying back for a party at the end of October- should I consider renting a U-Haul to take the last load home with me? I keep thinking, there's got to be a cheaper way to do this!
Get quotes from U-Box & Upack.

But it is my suspicion that the U-Box/Upack container outfits set their rates to equal what an equivalent U-Haul/Penske/Ryder rental truck would be, adding in fuel, meals, rooms, etc.

If you are up for the 2000 mile drive, do the rental truck. That way everything is under your control, and no issues re "parking" a container at either end.

Normally I'm a big fan of the containers, but if up for it, driving rental can be better.

BTW, how big is the "roomful" ? Kid's bedroom , or family room with pool table and piano ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues