Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 09:00 AM

2,432 posts, read 2,691,193 times

Advertisements

Since you have 2 acres, are there sheds/barns or can you possibly have one put up for storage? Would be better then a storage unit. Sell/donate all you can to make it easier on you.

congrats on the closing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2015, 09:07 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,609,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemodeled View Post
Since you have 2 acres, are there sheds/barns or can you possibly have one put up for storage? Would be better then a storage unit. Sell/donate all you can to make it easier on you.
A climate control storage unit was suggested because things can mold/rust when stored outside in the FL climate. It is very damp and humid there. Think about what Ohio feels like in August. It's like that almost 5 months of the year in Florida.

Old 08-20-2015, 10:06 PM

731 posts, read 935,707 times
My mom had a 750 sq ft house on 2.5 acres, so I've had a little experience with this.

Go vertical for storage. Study Ikea catalogs (even if you don't like Ikea - they have fantastic ideas for small space living - think Europe) and google small space storage. Apartment therapy dot com is all about living in small spaces.

I have a small kitchen and no storage (no garage or basement). Everything has to have multiple uses. All my dishes are white. There's no chip and dip set - it's called a plate and a bowl. Highball glasses work as wine glasses, so no storage for stemware. I have a little closet under the stairs. Mops and brooms hang on the wall. A cheap Ikea bathroom cabinet holds all my cleaning supplies. Consider a small table that attaches to the wall and folds down to use for extra counter space when you need it.

There are great ideas online for small desk spaces. Use a laptop and hang file holders on the wall to hold and sort papers. Office Depot has a great line called See Jane Work. I've been using them to organize my desk. Stick on pocket files inside of kitchen cabinets can hold little paper things.

Use end tables with drawers to store remotes and little things out of the way. Large plastic drawer sets at Target on the floor of your closet can hold items inside the drawers and then put your shoes on top of them. Make sure you are using all space inside of closets - floor, vertical, attach hooks and pockets to inside of doors.

If you have kids, tell them it's time to claim any of your belongings they may like to have.

Once you are settled, it's nice to make a low maintenance patio area in your yard where you can leave a little table and some chairs set up, off of grass so you don't have to move furniture to mow. 2 acres is a lot to take care of and having a little spot that you can just sit and unwind in is so nice.

Best of luck and enjoy your new home!!

Old 08-21-2015, 09:09 AM

676 posts, read 936,602 times
Wow, I thank you. Very much needed ideas. Can't wait to start !

Old 08-21-2015, 01:29 PM

25,445 posts, read 9,805,591 times
Tarajane. Congratulations on your new place! Hubby and I just relocated to 5 acres and a 900 sq. ft. cottage from a 2,200 sq. ft. house, so I feel your pain, lol. It can be done. First piece of advice, try to do things in stages. The first thing we did was decide what we wanted to keep and what we could live without, especially big stuff like furniture. Have a moving sale and maybe sell on Craigslist.

Also, a lot of preparation will depend on how far you are moving from your present location. Fortunately, we were moving only a couple of hours away. Perhaps someone else can speak to a more long distance move.

Remember that moving is very stressful, so give yourself time to rest in between all the zillion things you have going. Best of luck to you and your husband.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues