Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 04:24 PM

131 posts, read 184,679 times

Advertisements

Thanks so much, everyone. That was all really helpful. This may be TMI, but...

I tried to plan for this, but one major complication (which I didn't mention in this thread but have in another) is that I have frequent migraines and had somewhat experimental surgery for chronic migraines maybe 5 months ago. It took me a while to recover from that, and while I'm doing much better, enough that I think I can move, it left me with extreme light sensitivity and still some migraines. So I end up doing most of my work as it gets darker (which is not when post offices, etc. are open) and miss whole days (like today) because of just being sick and in pain.

I'm honestly not sure how I'm going to do this cross-country drive, especially to an even sunnier place. That's why I was hoping to fly originally...but I am going to get special sunglasses for migraines and do my best. It's only a one-time trip, at least I hope.

So, this seems like a huge uphill battle, but if it comes down to giving or throwing lots of things away, I'll take a deep breath and do it. Thanks so much again for all the advice and ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2015, 11:23 AM

OK, that was somewhat irrelevant to the issue...anyone who wants to contribute more ideas or experience moving in a car, feel free!

Old 09-09-2015, 03:00 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,611,972 times
Maybe you could drive the real small U-Haul. I hate interstate driving, too, but the small one maybe doable? And, ship stuff, via UPS. They do a good job. Or, maybe trailer a small U-Haul type trailer w/ stuff in it? You could ship via "U-Pack", the smallest size container. They do a fabulous job, but pricey. Their customer service is so excellent.

Make sure your cat is in a secure carrier. I double, triple checked that mine were secure in theirs when I traveled w/ them. Maybe drive her around places to get her used to it now--when you stop, then give her a cat treat, so to reinforce the positive side of traveling. I know someone did this to ready their dog for a trip.

Old 09-09-2015, 04:00 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,910,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by havecamerawilltravel View Post
I have about three weeks before I'm due to move cross-country, and I'm having anxiety that's keeping me up at night. It mainly has to do with how on earth I'm going to reduce all my things to what I can take with me in a car (with a cat and a few cameras), as I'd planned.

I moved across town a year ago, and had movers with a full-sized moving truck for furniture but also clothes, lots of papers, old photo negatives...then just regular kinds of stuff. Papers especially are a problem...I do a lot of creative writing, and I have critiques from a writing group I don't want to discard before I go over them.

Anyway...I'm wondering how people do it, move across country using just a car. I had a friend who did it, but she moved into a furnished apartment and was really a minimalist (which I'd like to be!). I'm going to sell all my furniture, of course, but I can't see how everything else will fit, even after I cut way down.

In terms of other options...I don't feel comfortable driving a U-Haul cross country. I've thought of PODS or something like them, but they're expensive and I don't know if I have that much stuff. I'm planning to ship my books (two small boxes of them) to my new landlord because I'm moving to an apartment not in a complex...and I'm now doubting that, wondering if I should have picked a more standard complex that could accept packages. (She didn't seem to want to hold more for me, and said it wouldn't be a good idea to ship to my empty place.)

So yes, I'm a mess...I hope once I decide on a solution, I'll rest easier. I've lived here 10 years and just accumulated so much. Thanks for any ideas, and sorry so long.
I moved across the country a little over a year ago in just a car (a very big buick which was nice). My old room-mate kept a few things that I would still like to get eventually and he shipped my library once I got there. That helped a lot, but if he hadn't been there, I would have had to ship it myself since I wouldn't have been able to part (willingly) with my library. I lived out west for 9 years before moving, but I hadn't accumulated much. I'm a minimalist also, so it wasn't too difficult. It was a great drive though; just wish I had had a little more time, but had to start work once I got there.

Old 09-10-2015, 10:54 AM

28,110 posts, read 63,531,084 times
I helped a friend move from San Francisco to Seattle about 10 years ago.

He fit everything he took into his 1967 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham... truly one of the last Land Yachts.

Depending on what kind of car you have could make a big difference... size and if it can tow a trailer.

Old 09-10-2015, 12:55 PM

Thanks, you all...I have a 10-year-old Nissan Altima...maybe not land yacht-sized, but pretty decent, I think. (Still, the cat in carrier will take up a good bit of space!)

Old 09-10-2015, 03:01 PM

28,110 posts, read 63,531,084 times
2006 Altima is tow rated for a 1000 pounds if memory serves... not really going to give you much when the weight of the trailer is factored.

Another option might be a roof top carrier...

Old 09-11-2015, 11:31 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,612,384 times
Honestly I read the moving threads just to read how many wealthy people there are out there.

"Just get rid of everything and buy new when you get there".

Works great if you are moving from one furnished apartment to another, not so well if you will need to furnish a house, buy new hobby supplies, etc.

On top of that, a scanned photo or paper is MUCH easier to lose than a hard copy AND a scanned copy. A hard drive is like a library, where if a bit of static hit one of the book shelves, all of the books burst into flames.

Old 09-11-2015, 02:50 PM

1,608 posts, read 1,479,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by havecamerawilltravel View Post
I have about three weeks before I'm due to move cross-country, and I'm having anxiety that's keeping me up at night. It mainly has to do with how on earth I'm going to reduce all my things to what I can take with me in a car (with a cat and a few cameras), as I'd planned.

I moved across town a year ago, and had movers with a full-sized moving truck for furniture but also clothes, lots of papers, old photo negatives...then just regular kinds of stuff. Papers especially are a problem...I do a lot of creative writing, and I have critiques from a writing group I don't want to discard before I go over them.

Anyway...I'm wondering how people do it, move across country using just a car. I had a friend who did it, but she moved into a furnished apartment and was really a minimalist (which I'd like to be!). I'm going to sell all my furniture, of course, but I can't see how everything else will fit, even after I cut way down.

In terms of other options...I don't feel comfortable driving a U-Haul cross country. I've thought of PODS or something like them, but they're expensive and I don't know if I have that much stuff. I'm planning to ship my books (two small boxes of them) to my new landlord because I'm moving to an apartment not in a complex...and I'm now doubting that, wondering if I should have picked a more standard complex that could accept packages. (She didn't seem to want to hold more for me, and said it wouldn't be a good idea to ship to my empty place.)

So yes, I'm a mess...I hope once I decide on a solution, I'll rest easier. I've lived here 10 years and just accumulated so much. Thanks for any ideas, and sorry so long.

Well, I have friends who live in their cars, so it all depends on how much 'stuff' you want to keep - and what kind of car you drive. What are your objections to driving a small U-haul (even a van) across country? You could use a toad and pull your car behind you. DH and I have done that several times - no probs.

Mahrie.

Old 09-15-2015, 05:02 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,350,305 times
You really need very little with you when you get started out in a new location. Clothes, a frying pan, a cooking pot, some dishes and cutlery. An inflatable mattress was the only "furniture" that I had when I moved to a new city after university. Pack a shower curtain and some towels. Some toiletries, soap. Everything else you can buy when you get there. Buy used furniture when you get there. Get a futon and sleep on that after you get settled.

We all have so much junk that accumulates over the years. But that stuff isn't essential for living. You'll be amazed at how you won't miss all your material possessions during your first few months after moving. You'll have no clutter to dust or to trip over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues