Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 07:28 AM

22 posts, read 35,971 times

Advertisements

My wife and I will be loading the Uhaul on a Thursday and driving to the new location on Friday (200 miles). I am considering hiring movers for the sole purpose of unloading the truck. Would cost about $130. Do you think that is money well spent? That is for 2 guys for 2 hours plus their travel time. We will have a bit of ground to cover from the truck to our second floor apartment in the back. Only a couple of heavy items to move. Anybody do anything like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 07:32 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,998,847 times
Yes, It sounds like its worth it. (My 18y Son is doing that now, Want to hire him?)

Saves your back, get it done, Money Well Spent,

(Don't forget to tip, and have a Good supply of Ice Cold Water, both for you and your movers.)

Last edited by flyonpa; 06-23-2015 at 07:49 AM..

Old 06-23-2015, 07:47 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,730,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shades9323 View Post
My wife and I will be loading the Uhaul on a Thursday and driving to the new location on Friday (200 miles). I am considering hiring movers for the sole purpose of unloading the truck. Would cost about $130. Do you think that is money well spent? That is for 2 guys for 2 hours plus their travel time. We will have a bit of ground to cover from the truck to our second floor apartment in the back. Only a couple of heavy items to move. Anybody do anything like this?
I believe most local Uhaul places have a list of Uhaul authorized packers and unloaders. I also believe most also have an "off the books" list. Contact them.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:51 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,605,780 times
Yes, it's worth it! I'm older and I have even older friends, and I would feel awful if one of the older guys tried to move something too heavy for him and hurt his back.

If money is an issue, you can also hire movers for specific pieces. For example, on my next move, I will hire a guy or two to move the stove, fridge, washer, dryer, and sofa. I will move the rest myself with hand trucks.

I've also downsized my furniture and have folding bookcases, so this is possible. I went from a queen bed to a full-sized one because I can still move a full mattress on my own or with the help of a friend. These are the sorts of choices that can greatly help if more moves are in your future.

Old 06-23-2015, 09:04 AM

4 posts, read 4,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I believe most local Uhaul places have a list of Uhaul authorized packers and unloaders. I also believe most also have an "off the books" list. Contact them.
This is definitely an option, however consider there is no vetting process to become a UHaul mover. You only have to just fill out an online form to be listed on their site. Then they have a customer review process that acts as a vetting process. So the movers may or may not be licensed/insured/bonded.

There a lot of viable moving labor options ranging from picking up day labor from the Home Depot to legitimate businesses operating under all local and national regulations. As with most services, you get what you pay for.

Old 06-24-2015, 11:02 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,624,448 times
i ALWAYS hire loading and unloading help. I prefer to keep possession of my things so I drive the rental truck. I've learned a few things.

Always treat these people with utmost respect, but know that sometimes you need to let them know how you want things done.

Keep food and water on hand. They work hard and I get the impression some of the people are in financial trouble. They really appreciate being fed. Keeping the workers fed and hydrated will also keep them from exhaustion, meaning less chances of them dropping your things.

opt for one more person than you think you need. Especially if stairs are involved and you have heavy or fragile items.

I tip $20/person and add $10 per flight of stairs.

Have handtrucks, tape, straps, rope, tape, boxes, and any other moving supply on hand.

I prefer to hire from a service that has good reviews. It might cost a little more, but I have someone to yell at if anything goes missing. I won't take a risk picking up day labor to handle everything i own.

Old 06-24-2015, 11:20 AM

1,846 posts, read 3,939,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shades9323 View Post
Do you think that is money well spent?
Yes, most definitely! Moves are exhausting so give yourself a break.

Local moving companies will sometimes provide workers to unload trucks for you, too. You could ask and make sure they are insured, licensed, bonded, or whatever.

Old 06-24-2015, 11:30 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,375,696 times
Loading the truck by someone who knows what they're doing is money well spent. Loading is key.

Unloading USUALLY goes fast; sometimes real fast.
Double doors in, ramp right at the front door, remove and fold pads, place furniture where it's wanted esp. if it's heavy.

Who estimated two hours with ground cover, unfamiliar with the load (where the glass?), and then up around the back?
That's pushing it except for a one bedroom single persons apartment.

Old 06-24-2015, 11:53 AM

22 posts, read 35,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
Loading the truck by someone who knows what they're doing is money well spent. Loading is key.

Unloading USUALLY goes fast; sometimes real fast.
Double doors in, ramp right at the front door, remove and fold pads, place furniture where it's wanted esp. if it's heavy.

Who estimated two hours with ground cover, unfamiliar with the load (where the glass?), and then up around the back?
That's pushing it except for a one bedroom single persons apartment.

Their travel time to the location is not included in the 2 hours. The 2 hours is only onsite. I worded that kind of funny in my OP. $50 is a part of the total cost and that covers their travel expenses. It is more like up the stairs to the back apartment (shared entrance). I figure if they can knock out the majority (i'll probably help) in 2 hours, I can finish up and my lovely wife who is moving for me won't have to lift a finger during the unload other than to point where stuff goes. We are moving a lightly furnished 2 bed house with like a few awkward things to carry. Nothing overly heavy.

Old 06-24-2015, 03:31 PM

22,331 posts, read 29,417,031 times
Totally totally worth it after packing a truck up yourself and driving 200 miles. TRUST ME
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues