Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 07:18 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomWifeNurse23 View Post
Hi, everyone. So, my family and I moved to North Carolina from NY for 2 years. It was quite a culture shock for our us as we are used to the 4 seasons, and things being close, and centrally located. We stayed in NC because I had landed a federal job, and we liked our neighborhood. My kids on the other hand were absolutely miserable. It was so hot from May thru September, we couldn't even enjoy time outside. They were homesick , and it began to rub off on my husband, and I. Both of our families all live in New York. We decided to move back home for the sake of our children's happiness. We've been back in NY for 9 months now, and I'm beginning to grow tired of it. All the reasons we left are just like slapping me in the face. My dilemma is, because my kids (11, 8, 3) were SO unhappy with our last move, my 11 year old son is very against us moving. He says he wants to stay near family, and his friends. He even begged me to live with grandma if we decided to move. What do I do? I'm torn. Pro/con lists are useless, as they usually come out pretty even. Any advice is appreciated!
Lol. NC actually has four distinct seasons and is located near many other states on the East Coast: TN, SC, GA, VA, etc. . . And May through September is SUMMER, so it's hardly a surprise that it's warm then. The heat is actually quite tolerable compared to other states. My wife and I are planning a move to NC to get away from the sizzling TX summers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2015, 06:21 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,369,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomWifeNurse23 View Post
Hi, everyone. So, my family and I moved to North Carolina from NY for 2 years. It was quite a culture shock for our us as we are used to the 4 seasons, and things being close, and centrally located. We stayed in NC because I had landed a federal job, and we liked our neighborhood. My kids on the other hand were absolutely miserable. It was so hot from May thru September, we couldn't even enjoy time outside. They were homesick , and it began to rub off on my husband, and I. Both of our families all live in New York. We decided to move back home for the sake of our children's happiness. We've been back in NY for 9 months now, and I'm beginning to grow tired of it. All the reasons we left are just like slapping me in the face. My dilemma is, because my kids (11, 8, 3) were SO unhappy with our last move, my 11 year old son is very against us moving. He says he wants to stay near family, and his friends. He even begged me to live with grandma if we decided to move. What do I do? I'm torn. Pro/con lists are useless, as they usually come out pretty even. Any advice is appreciated!
If you're itching to move for no special reason than just simply being a bit restless, then try moving to a different house, or a different neighbourhood. You don't need to move to another state, region, or country to get a change of surroundings. Maybe you need a new routine? New hobbies? Etc.? There's an old expression, "far away fields always look green".

Old 10-02-2015, 06:48 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times
She posted this in the NC board as well and apparently didn't like those answers either.

Old 10-02-2015, 07:19 PM

8,046 posts, read 10,638,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
twingles nailed it.

It sounds to me like maybe you're just plain unhappy about something in your life, and if that's so, then moving won't solve it because where ever you go, there you are. You first need to figure out if it's yourself/your life that's the real issue, and if it is, then you need to deal with that.

If your location actually is the problem, then you need to list out what in NY makes you want to leave. Sometimes proximity to family can be a two-edged sword. Sometimes COL or life-style is an issue or long commutes. Then you need to figure out what are the benefits of staying put because sometimes you have to be realistic, too. Maybe you really, really want to live in some isolated valley in Idaho, but the chances of you and your spouse finding jobs in your fields there might be between slim and none.

Don't forget that you can always compromise. The South isn't the only place to live outside of NY, although NC has become a Mecca for many New Yorkers. New York is a large state with several large cities and several mid-sized ones that offer urban life-styles but with very different "flavors". New Jersey, southern New England, and eastern PA also offer alternatives that might fit you and your family better than NC did.
I live in North Carolina and I don't get the New Yorker/North Carolina connection. I grew up around DC, but my mother is from North Carolina. I'm yankee enough, but to me, New Yorkers seem like such fish-out-of-water down here among the native southerners. I just wondered what the big draw to North Carolina specifically is? The price of housing? No offense meant, I just wondered what the pull to the state is. And yes, I agree with the OP, it is miserably hot from May - September, and hard to enjoy life outdoors during that time because of it.

Old 10-04-2015, 07:50 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,294,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
She posted this in the NC board as well and apparently didn't like those answers either.
That explains the hostile responses!

Old 10-05-2015, 05:00 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,202,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
I live in North Carolina and I don't get the New Yorker/North Carolina connection. I grew up around DC, but my mother is from North Carolina. I'm yankee enough, but to me, New Yorkers seem like such fish-out-of-water down here among the native southerners. I just wondered what the big draw to North Carolina specifically is? The price of housing? No offense meant, I just wondered what the pull to the state is. And yes, I agree with the OP, it is miserably hot from May - September, and hard to enjoy life outdoors during that time because of it.
I'm perfectly happy living where I live, but I think that many New Yorkers are lured to the South by the warmer winters. Florida used to be the preferred destination but Florida has become crowded and expensive, and NC is both closer and cheaper. For a while, especially in the 1990s, NC was also a jobs mecca, especially in banking, IT, construction, etc.

IMO, every place has trade-offs, and especially in climate. While I'd like somewhat milder winters, I'm not interested in hotter summers or ice storms rather than snow storms, and pretty much that's your choice in the eastern half of the country when seeking those warmer winters.

Old 10-07-2015, 10:06 AM

137 posts, read 177,693 times
My husband and I and our two kids are moving to Florida this weekend, we are from Michigan. My kids are very young still and not in school so I think that will be an easier transition. They are very excited about it because they see our excitement about the move. My family however, is really upset about it but ya know what life is just too short to shovel snow half the year! I am sick of the snowy cold weather. Im ready for a change, a new adventure.

I think whatever emotions you guys are having is what will rub off on the kids. They see the stress that NC move had on you and so now they are afraid to move again thinking itll be like last time. Really do your research on it and think hard, include your kids on it and see what they think about certain areas you have narrowed down. The pre-teen age is a hard one because they are trying to find their way and ripping them out of their comfort zone can be challenging, but you are the parents and if you want to move then do it. They will eventually get into the swing of their new lives. I happen to like moving and so does my husband so we plan on going out West at some point because I have family in AZ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues