Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2019, 06:43 PM

46 posts, read 22,548 times

Advertisements

So I am 22 years old and officially moving out for the first time from Ohio to Texas. I moved out once before, but only an hour away to college. After a year of issues with the school, I decided to move back home. I'm moving to Texas with my boyfriend, and have an interview set up for a job. He already lives down there and works full time, so he wont be able to come up and drive down with me. I dont have anyone that would really go with me, so I'm going to have to do the drive myself since I own my car and cant afford car transport services (and dont want to drop $1000+ on something I can technically do myself). How do I stay safe on the drive and would I be safe sleeping at truck stops by myself? How do I stay safe during this time also? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2019, 08:26 PM

42 posts, read 31,711 times
Default Good for you

Be proud of yourself for taking this adventurous step. This is the time in your life to do this. Are you sure you can't come up with an extra few $100s to stay in a motel? Think about whether you can do that. Truck stops are generally considered to be pretty safe. Most truckers will probably look out for your safety. You're a young woman, so there may be risk of some unsavory young or old driver who could make you unsafe. Be aware and smart about who you interact with and where you park. And you can shower, and eat at truck stops. You would get better rest at a motel.
When you set up housekeeping, get financially secure as soon as practical. You don't want to be stuck in a situation that isn't working out because you can't afford to move.
Best adventure to you.

Old 04-27-2019, 08:43 PM

8,151 posts, read 8,350,911 times
Go to one of the websites for discount hotel and get a motel room. Don’t sleep in your car. Not safe.

Old 04-27-2019, 09:02 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,609,827 times
Motel 6 is fairly cheap on weekdays.

Don't sleep in your car! That's a terrible idea in this day and age.

Old 04-28-2019, 04:02 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Go to one of the websites for discount hotel and get a motel room. Don’t sleep in your car. Not safe.
Check your route and decide ahead of time where to stop and rest. Check for discount hotels/motels in that town/city and make a reservation. Cheapest aren't always the big chains. Competition means there could be deals for specific dates or days of the week. Sometimes the most pleasant reasonable lodgings were NOT in city centers but smaller towns nearby. Plus, you won't have to fight traffic in a strange city to find them. Having a plan helps a lot of other things. Have a backup destination in case you get delayed.

Old 04-29-2019, 12:03 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,203,228 times
Make sure you have a charged up phone at all times and store any numbers you may need. Also, if you don't have a road service membership like AAA, get one. They're not expensive. Carry the card so you can call for assistance if needed because of a flat tire, etc. Keep your doors locked.

Also, take your time. If you have to stay over a couple of nights, that's better than pushing it.

Old 04-29-2019, 06:50 PM

172 posts, read 145,891 times
I travel across several states every summer since my kids have been little. Here are my tips

- bring drinks and snacks
-fill up at 1/3 tank so you don't get stuck somewhere
-bring a car charger
-no rest stops dusk or later, stick to gas stations or fast food joints for restroom breaks
-stay at a motel/hotel
-safety in numbers- stick to populated areas when possible
-know where you are headed in case you run into an area with spotty cell coverage
-get out and stretch every few hours

Good luck with your move!

Old 04-29-2019, 08:39 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,290,988 times
Not sure from where to where you are moving. I put in Columbus, Ohio to Houston as a guess. It gave me 17 hours and 40 minutes. With gas and food stops, it will be longer. Decide if this is a two or three day trip. Pick one or two hotels to spend the night. You can map out a route and pick a hotel accordingly. Find a deal, but read the read the hotel reviews and pick a reasonably safe spot. Sleeping in a car is uncomfortable. You will get sleep better at a hotel and generally be safer. You will be a better driver if you get a good night's sleep.

Don't leave valuables in your car over night or in plain sight. Take them into the room with you.

As a female, I would discourage you from stopping at roadside rest stops. IMO, they are not as safe as gas stations or restaurants. The advice above to refill your tank at 1/3rd tank and keep your phone charged is good.

There are some apps that you can share with family or your boyfriend. They will share where you are at any given time. My husband sends me a text or email that opens Google maps when he is driving home from work (over an hour away) or he goes out on a bike ride so if he doesn't make it back in a timely manner, I know where to find him. I've actually had to use it one time when he had a bike wreck and I had to go pick him up.

Old 04-29-2019, 10:26 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
I've done this numerous times starting when I was just a little older than you. What I learned is to stop at fast food places, like McDonalds. If their parking lot is well lighted in a safe area, you should be fine sleeping in your vehicle. Make sure you have cell reception, so you can call 911 if necessary.

Don't stop at rest stops or truck stops as a single female, is my strong advice. Don't use the restrooms at gas stations unless they are busy ones and the restroom is inside and it's a convenience store type place like an AM/PM, instead of access outside around the side of the building.

Always fill up your tank after it gets to 1/2 empty. Fill up at busy, safe places. Use good gas, like Chevron. Get AAA so if you break down, you can just sit in your car and use your cell phone to call AAA.

Get a separate battery charger for your phone that is a good one that holds a long charge, in case the car dies and your phone dies, too.

Let your boyfriend or someone know where you are every time you stop for gas or food, etc., so if anything happens, they will be able to tell someone where you last were at a certain time.

If you get rear-ended and you are somewhere isolated, stay in your car and call 911.

I found listening to an audio book really helped pass the time. I also found that when I got really tired, if I listened to comedy (like on Amazon or Pandora channels), it helped keep me awake, the last long trip I made moving here.

Have a great trip. Be safe.

Old 05-01-2019, 08:36 AM

128 posts, read 113,599 times
I've slept at rest stops numerous times over the last 5-6 years since I started traveling all over the nation.

20 years ago rest stops were much more dangerous and scary. Nowadays they are much safer. Video surveillance and lighting all over. Many other people stop to rest and sleep. The reason things are so much better now is that the govt finally figured out that highway fatalities went up when people were tired. Rest stops have been updated and upgraded all over the place.

If you're that worried about sleeping at a rest stop find a cheap hotel for $60-$100 per night. Ohio to Texas shouldn't be a 2 night trip. Leave at 6am...drive all day, 1 night stop and finish up the trip the next day.

Good luck with your trip!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues