Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2015, 06:20 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,103,522 times

Advertisements

I'm moving from TX to CA. It takes me 3-4 days to drive this, as I am by myself. The movers say they will drive it in 3 days. How can I be there when they are putting my stuff in the van, then be there for unloading on the other end? They say they can delay the arrival, but that will cost $150 per day.

How have other people done this on their own. (I am not capable of moving myself in a rental truck.)

This is a small mover, who will only move my stuff in the van. Should I look for a larger company who loads multiple houseloads, so will take longer to get there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2015, 06:28 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,816,044 times
I would either pay the extra or find someone else.

We moved from TX to AR. It was at least 5 days until the movers delivered. We spent those days in a very nice hotel.

I'm sure we could have found someone else, but it worked for us.

Old 11-18-2015, 06:30 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,277,063 times
You should be able to make it in three days. I know two families that travel back and forth and usually only takes them two days to make the trip. One group goes to Los Angeles and the other to Santa Monica. We live in the San Antonio area.

I think you should go ahead and pay the extra 150 if you feel you need longer to get there.

Have a safe trip.

Old 11-18-2015, 09:32 PM

253 posts, read 304,795 times
Can you limit social stops on the trip so as to keep it at 2-3 days rather than 3-4? Can a trusted pal be there on the loading end so you can leave a day earlier if you can't cut out the social stops?

If not, then you should see how much a larger mover will cost. It may be significantly more than $150. In fact, it almost certainly will be more expensive.

In the long run $150 isn't all that much as it will amount to about the daily expenses for two adults on the road - hotel, food, and pay for time.

Old 11-19-2015, 07:42 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,533,648 times
I'd pay the extra day just to give room for unanticipated delays on your end. An extra $150 per day is small cost in a move.

Old 11-19-2015, 08:35 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,684,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
I'm moving from TX to CA. It takes me 3-4 days to drive this, as I am by myself. The movers say they will drive it in 3 days. How can I be there when they are putting my stuff in the van, then be there for unloading on the other end? They say they can delay the arrival, but that will cost $150 per day.

How have other people done this on their own. (I am not capable of moving myself in a rental truck.)

This is a small mover, who will only move my stuff in the van. Should I look for a larger company who loads multiple houseloads, so will take longer to get there?
Does it really take that long to drive from TX to CA? Anyway, if you can't get there faster than that, just pay the $150.

Old 11-19-2015, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
Does it really take that long to drive from TX to CA? Anyway, if you can't get there faster than that, just pay the $150.
I just got another estimate from a company that will hold up for a few days for free, but they may end up being more expensive. So I will consider the total costs all the estimates come in.

In response to the question, if I were 25, no, it would not take that long to drive there. But I don't have the endurance I used to have (I am in my mid-60s). In addition, I need to stop at my sister's place in Albuquerque to pick something up, and will stay the night. I drove to CA and back this summer, so I know the route, and I am well aware of my limitations, and what it will take for me to drive safely, by myself.

By the way, the southern route (I10) and the northern route (I40) are really about the same mileage, but the southern route has faster speed limits across the desert. It also includes long stretches of pretty much nothing. My son, who is in his 20s, prefers this route, as did my husband when he was that age. But I prefer the northern route, which has more places to stop, more civilization, and takes a little longer.

Old 11-20-2015, 04:36 AM

4,374 posts, read 11,230,590 times
I'm mid-fifties and alone with a dog and just drove 2200 miles in 3.25 days. I left on a Saturday morning and arrived at 10:30 am on the following Tues.

I did "gain" 2 hours though, with the time change, travelling from east to west, and you may be losing 1 or 2 hours.

How many miles is it? My trip was very doable, I just made sure I was on the road by 5:30 am, to avoid driving in the dark at night, even though I am NOT an early bird normally.

I only stopped around 3 times per day for potty/tea or coffee/gas breaks and ate in the car except for a quick small breakfast at the hotel and then got dinners at my destination.

I am sure you can make that drive faster than you think, unless you're coming from N CA to eastern TX! The key is to have snacks and a cooler with water etc. and be very organized. I only carried in the bare minimum to the hotel each night ~ outfit for next day, toiletries, jewelry, laptop and iPad.

I travelled I40 ~ be aware that you can very easily encounter snow around Flagstaff AZ, I did, last week, and they had a lot of snow there the week before. Checking weather might help you determine your best route.

Last edited by adventuregurl; 11-20-2015 at 04:47 AM..

Old 11-20-2015, 09:40 PM

Good suggestion to check for snow before going. It would probably be logical to take I10 because of that, but I have to stop at Albuquerque. (Still, if there is a lot of snow, I might have to change to I10 anyway.) I drove from TX to CA (and back) this past summer. It was a 2,000 mile trip, each way. Actually, my son was following me in his car, which was nice because, although each of us had to do our own driving, it made me feel much more secure to have him right there. We drove the northern route going west, and the southern route going east, so I have experienced both. I won't have a dog or anyone else making the trip this time, which is more daunting for me, but I think I can do it. On that trip, we spent 4 nights on the road, but we had a late start the first day, and a delay in Albuquerque, and we had to take a side trip to Santa Barbara. I also have a very bad back, and while I can make the drive, I can't just stop 3 times. I have to walk around every few hours. And yes, even though my car will be full because I am moving, I will just have a small bag that is packed for my nights on the road. It will be easier for me to start early each day on this trip, as my son is not an early riser, and it took longer for two of us to get out each morning (and we were traveling with a cat.) So hopefully, I can start early and drive longer each day, despite my need to stop frequently. Still, I think it will take me 4 days - 3 nights. But I am not so worried about outracing the moving company, as I have found one that will wait.

Thanks, Adventuregurl, for your support.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues