Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 10:09 AM

32 posts, read 50,204 times

Advertisements

I am moving into my first apartment and there is so much stuff I need from bed to spoons. But I plan on moving after a year out of state so I don't know what to do. I am not taking anything to my apartment as the space is small and most of my current furniture are big and old plus I have a huge dog and it's just going to be crowded if I were to take my furniture with me. I heard of renting furniture but I have a dog that sheds like crazy and it's just not for me. That means I am going to need all new small space furniture but I hope that I won't be living in a small space in a year so I just don't know what to do. So, should I live like a bum with like 2 spoons, banquet table and a floor bed for a year or buy new stuff and discard them or move with them after a year? I am not particularly attach to anything (except my dog) so I would love to move with everything in one car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2015, 10:25 AM

5,363 posts, read 3,540,288 times
I would do it, in fact I have done it in the past.

Old 11-09-2015, 10:39 AM

253 posts, read 302,413 times
Just live like a bum for a year. I wouldn't even bother getting proper furniture unless you can find free or cheap stuff on the side of the road or on craigslist or something. Depending on the size of your car, it would probably make sense to buy proper kitchen stuff (plates, forks, pots, pans) as that stuff is fairly easy to transport in a vehicle. You might also consider getting a quality air mattress. They are comfortable and this way you can take it with you easily and not have to hurry to buy a bed and mattress when you move again. Beyond kitchen stuff, clothes, bedding, maybe a mattress, and towels, you don't need anything else.

When I was living like a bum, with few belongings, I always made sure they could fit in a certain number of boxes or containers. So figure out how much room you would have in your car (making sure your dog would be comfortable) and then only buy what will fit in that space. The rest get either free or don't get it at all. You can deal with anything for a year.

Old 11-09-2015, 11:53 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,177,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
I would do it, in fact I have done it in the past.
Agree. Same here.

For years I had the rule that everything I owned fit into my car. One load. (bed was a futon, that helped)

Old 11-09-2015, 12:02 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,140,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magpiehere View Post
Agree. Same here.

For years I had the rule that everything I owned fit into my car. One load. (bed was a futon, that helped)
Go for the bum life-style for a short term residence.

I would go with a futon, too, which can function as both a sofa and a bed ... and the frame can be taken apart.

A card table or one of those small folding banquet tables (Sam's Club sells them I think) will do. Director's chairs are comfy and fold up, too.

Old 11-09-2015, 12:40 PM

32 posts, read 50,204 times
Thank you for the input. Making sure things could fit in certain amount of boxes is very helpful along with director's chairs. I am coming to a realization that having stuff is a burden even my dog has a lot of stuff. I love having a lot of stuff but I hate moving with them.

Old 11-09-2015, 12:44 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,667,615 times
You can also get a folding camp bed at Walmart for 59.00$. It fits nicely in a vehicle.
I downsized from a 3 bdrm/2 bath Vicotrian, to a trailer with only the basic furniture. I didn't even have a sofa for 3 years. Loved it.
Now I am once again living with roots.
You can do it. Just start writing down the absolute basics that you find you cannot live without.

Old 11-09-2015, 01:12 PM

503 posts, read 768,337 times
Another vote for the bum route. If you must have something consider Goodwill or Salvation Army. Have bought many pieces - nightstands, tables, chairs, etc for under $15. I always buy wood and check for termites. Never anything upholstered for fear of bugs.

Old 11-10-2015, 08:59 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,543,352 times
I call it "Retro College Student" instead of living like a bum. (:

In addition to the great suggestions here, you can also make shelves and night stands (if you need them) from scrap lumber and cinder blocks or milk crates.

If you don't want a dresser, socks and underwear can be stored in milk crates, cardboard boxes, or similar.

Folding TV snack tables can be used as a desk, night stand, or place to eat. I once duct-taped a 3' scrap metal conduit between two of them and used it to hang blouses (no closets in that rental). Then I put a milk crate on the top of each, for socks, underclothing, and jeans.

If you honestly don't care what it looks like, there are all sorts of free to low-cost solutions for furniture and storage.

I made sure I always had basic tools: hammer, hand saw, box cutter, drill, screw drivers, fasteners. Add duct tape, sand paper, and a few cans of spray paint for giggles. I could make a lot of things from scrap wood or from re-purposing things people left on the curve on large trash days. That was also a low-cost source of entertainment for me, and I gave away what I couldn't use to others who were living the same way.

On moving day, all could be reduced to a pile of boards or scraps of cardboard in a few minutes and put into the dumpster.

Old 11-10-2015, 09:02 AM

35,095 posts, read 50,961,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
I call it "Retro College Student" instead of living like a bum. (:

In addition to the great suggestions here, you can also make shelves and night stands (if you need them) from scrap lumber and cinder blocks or milk crates.

If you don't want a dresser, socks and underwear can be stored in milk crates, cardboard boxes, or similar.

Folding TV snack tables can be used as a desk, night stand, or place to eat. I once duct-taped a 3' scrap metal conduit between two of them and used it to hang blouses (no closets in that rental). Then I put a milk crate on the top of each, for socks, underclothing, and jeans.

If you honestly don't care what it looks like, there are all sorts of free to low-cost solutions for furniture and storage.

I made sure I always had basic tools: hammer, hand saw, box cutter, drill, screw drivers, fasteners. Add duct tape, sand paper, and a few cans of spray paint for giggles. I could make a lot of things from scrap wood or from re-purposing things people left on the curve on large trash days. That was also a low-cost source of entertainment for me, and I gave away what I couldn't use to others who were living the same way.

On moving day, all could be reduced to a pile of boards or scraps of cardboard in a few minutes and put into the dumpster.

How sugary PC.........

Original poster: If you start with basic items and find that is enough for you then there is no need to get anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues