Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 07:56 PM

169 posts, read 153,916 times

Advertisements

JanND, thank you for all of the great information. I think that if money were not an issue I would definitely not be on this forum. I would just do it! I have certainly been looking at liveability, crime, education and work. I'm trying to get as much information from the experienced as possible.

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2015, 07:59 PM

169 posts, read 153,916 times
kab0906, why would you not move any appliances?

Thanks a bunch!

Old 11-15-2015, 07:59 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,210,834 times
I moved 4 times on my own dime. I can tell you it is NOT too soon to be looking for a job. NOT AT ALL. Go to USAJobs and search AZ. There are over 400 jobs open right now. Not sure what you do but I can help you with that stuff if you need. It takes months to be hired there!

Rentals: You can study available places online and line up several places to visit your first day in the area. Check out extended stay motels or possibly campgrounds that you can set up base camp from. I really wouldn't rent anything sight unseen.
Stuff: Sold everything to fund the moves. You should have your basic "stuff". Everyone has a towel and a set of sheets for the bed. Okay you might want the beds. If you don't have an emotional attachment to your dishes, ditch them and pick up Goodwill stuff when you get there. Live with paper plates for a while. If you have good cookware, I'd keep that. Keep enough forks, etc for everyone to have one set and they have to wash what they use. Get rid of ALL winter clothes except a light coat - I'm assuming it's going to be warm where you're going. I'd try to get each kid a soft duffel-type bag and roll clothes up tight and stuff that baby full. Seriously have a tag sale. Get used to living light right away. Save save save. You might rent a Penske - shop for your best price - and pull your car on a trailer. (go online and look up the specials) Wait. You have HOW MANY KIDS? Do any of them drive safely? The key is to lighten up. Mattresses are expensive so - but don't haul them across the country if they're shot. Once you get there you'll be able to hit tag sales EVENTUALLY. Live minimally for however long it takes. Some stuff is easy to move and expensive to replace IE: spices. You can put them in a small zip lock and use a sharpie to identify. Be prepared to explain if a cop stops you and smells your oregano.
ALSO: How many days of driving? Let's say 3. Each person gets 3 days of clothes. On your second night stop, do laundry. That will give you an extra couple of days of clean clothes when you get there and you won't have to unpack. Now that I think about it - watch for rentals with washers. If they look scarce you probably want your w/d with a crew your size.
Drove except to and from Hawaii. One time a LONG time ago I went across country and we camped in a tent as we went. Great adventure, but of course, tents are pricey these days. Maybe you can find something on Black Friday and it's the end of camping season, isn't it? Well then you'll need blankets, etc.
Was there anything I forgot to do? Can't remember but I suggest you organize each kiddo's medical records and keep them handy - and pets? Any of them?
Cost? I'm so bad with numbers. My guy says it was about $1500 Atlanta to CT including Penske with trailer, Gas for that truck and his truck, We stayed at a friend's on the layover. And tolls. Our car insurance wouldn't cover. If you can get a military discount, that helped us.

Old 11-15-2015, 08:07 PM

7,217 posts, read 6,996,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Z16 View Post
kab0906, why would you not move any appliances?

Thanks a bunch!
They take up too much space in a moving truck for the expense. Plus you have to hope that there is no damage. Modern appliances have electronic components that can have issues, especially if you don't have proper packing materials.

Old 11-16-2015, 07:06 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,210,834 times
I say pack matresses (in good shape). You can always put them on the floor if need be, and washer/dryer. Hey if you have a decent fridge... but rentals usually have them. Do your research. You'll do 2 loads a day won't you? At least. (Not sure how big your peeps are). That's easily $300/month in washing AT LEAST. And a good set will cost you a bit, too.

Old 11-22-2015, 11:28 AM

1,705 posts, read 1,588,199 times
Quote:
The time for my family and I to make a big move is quickly approaching and the anticipation is heightened. I'm very anxious but thinking about it also overwhelms me. I am hoping to get some good information, almost step-by-step so as to be sure all bases are covered. Some of the answers I'm looking for are to these ?'s.

* Did you rent a place and how easy was it for you in terms of not being scammed?
* Did you have a company move your belongings for you?
* Did you drive or fly to the new residence?
* What did you forget to do or what do you wish you would have done?
* My biggest concern is finding a job and trying to find the right place to live so that I'm in close proximity to work.
* What were all of your expenses?

Thank you in advance for any information!
Yes, I moved cross country on my own dime from the NYC area to NJ. PM me and I will give you info on property management companies that handle rentals if you're looking for a house to rent. I will also give you info on a moving company that was good, charged by number of boxes and not weight, and was an overall good experience.
You will love AZ. Welcome! I miss it every day since I moved away.

Old 11-22-2015, 12:02 PM

206 posts, read 236,958 times
Check the tax laws -- think you need to be moving for same kind of work to write this off. Needs to be certain minimum distance too....

Some big city landlords in safe neighborhood were willing to rent to unemployed if you can pay for 6 months of rent at once. This is how the landlords handle the rich college students with no job. Really nice to know you can save up 6 months of expenses, move money and deposits and try it somewhere else if you want better options. DAV or private thrift stores may help move you out of your old place if you want to get rid of some stuff.

Of course, you need to be able to cover your other bills too or you have unemployment/disability pay, looking for better employment options. Was really big relief to be able to move to decent apartment in big city, get safe apartment and find a better job in couple of months. Situation did not work out as planned after finding lots of scans target new residents and just did not have enough money to get through it safely after dealing with screwed so many ways, and I'm a city person. Found out some people get targeted for crime if you run into this crap, better to leave.

Was such relief to be able to get entry-level work in my field of study within 1-2 months...Had flexibility to work temporary if I desired and city had LOADS of gigs on Craigslist too...Ran into one employment cheat, was able to find enough odd jobs on Craigslist to pay the bills until landing another contractor temp job in 6 weeks. Cleaned houses, did food prep, drove vehicle around, did focus groups (paid on spot by the way)...

You can get bit in butt...

I have moved a bit since looking for better options but just finding hostile people who try to mistreat/ruin woman who tries is alone there to use her....Even taking a country job can ruin someone alone in some places, seen men leaving some place too as they go broke. As far as 'moving' -- moved the whole place downsized to 1 bedroom 3 different times now and just not worth it. Am leaving stuff in family crash pad and resorted to 'camp' move, and try month-to-month with better outcomes -- use blowup mattress, camping chair, mini-kitchen mess kit plus microwave and fold up table. This worked nicely...Honestly, area is too hostile to woman alone except for areas I already know, bought dump in economically depressed area I know and don't worry about it -- never used this job market so I can make new contacts.

Camp kit move is nice for just a car move, 1 load and scouting out area. If you are really thinking about moving around a lot to check it out, try the cheap RV or little travel trailer. If you work on-site living in travel trailer, you can write off the moving expenses and monthly fees of RV site rental/utilities. Need to check with accountant to see which state has best deals for home base -- probably Texas, car tag fees once, no other taxes for income, property or vehicle...

Old 11-22-2015, 01:10 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,672,727 times
Yes many times, my family usually rent first and get to know the area before we buy anything. We drove our cars but we did have moving company to move essential stuff.

Old 11-22-2015, 02:09 PM

18,822 posts, read 27,261,264 times
Quote:
* My biggest concern is finding a job and trying to find the right place to live so that I'm in close proximity to work.
Thank you in advance for any information!

Huh? You do NOT have a job lined up at the new place and yet, you move? Serious? As job determines everything else in your question list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues