Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 09:05 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,577,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Biggest con: You don't KNOW these people. Save up and get your OWN place. It's much safer!
Well,

That is true, but if I lived my life like that, I would probably never trust anyone.

Old 12-06-2015, 09:58 AM

996 posts, read 1,235,527 times
What's the big infatuation with pets? (Unless you're going to have a couple of goldfish in a bowl). Having a dog when nobody's around to take care of it because you're all working is cruel to the animal. Also a dog is going to cost you about $1,500 the first year and $500 each additional year (food & medical) ... a cat is only a little bit less.
Put the money towards an emergency fund (at least four to six months of living expenses) and retirementg.

Old 12-06-2015, 10:26 AM

393 posts, read 359,817 times
Personally, I would never do or get anything from Craigslist. There are roommate finding services that will at least do a minimal background check, but if you don't care who is in your house, it is your issue.

Old 12-06-2015, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
Well,

That is true, but if I lived my life like that, I would probably never trust anyone.
lmao, so as a counter you invite strangers to live with you?
brilliant!!!!

Old 12-06-2015, 11:28 AM

Do you just start random threads about things or are you actually looking for information? Do you still wish you were one of the "cool kids" and wish you were a french girl? If anyone sees those threads you can forget getting a roommate.

Old 12-06-2015, 02:04 PM

484 posts, read 560,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
Well, here is a list of pros and cons that I could think of:

Pros:

The apartment allows pets.
My potential roommates seem very friendly.
Their total rent is about what I'm paying here.
Utilities are relatively low
The complex is in a neighborhood I'm thoroughly familiar with (my old house was just a few blocks away from this apartment complex.)
These people know how to save money on essentials.
They were willing to draw up a contract and put a decent cap on my total price.

Cons:
I do not know these people. They could be decent, but they could also be putting on a front.
They do drink and get drunk on occasion.
I don't want to be left holding the bag AND taking care of free-loaders, but I don't want them to wind up without a place to stay if I do take over the lease, so that is likely what will happen.
They work fast food jobs and other part-time work that leaves them easily replaceable. One of them has already gotten her hours severely cut. Plus, I don't know how responsible these people are.
I don't know how legally binding the contract they tried to draw up is.

Worse-Case Scenario:

I could end up 100 percent responsible for the bills and / or our potential relationship could be severely strained due to financial uncertainty. They've already had experiences with younger more immature roommates, though, so maybe they won't, at least intentionally, turn out to be like that.

Verdict:

I think I'm going to call their landlord and discuss the worst-case scenario. I think this is a pretty bad deal, though. I remember what happened when I roomed with my friend and her sister. A dubious employment plan ensured I paid 100 percent of the rent once or twice but still had to put up with everyone else living there. I think I might like to become their neighbor if possible, though.
This is not the worst case scenario. A few worse things I thought of in just 3 minutes of thinking:
a) While drunk they, or people they allow into the apartment when you're not there, break or steal some of your possessions.
b) You move in, they move out, but it turns out they didn't pay the rent for five months before you moved in. You're now on the hook for that extra money.
c) They leave the apartment unlocked, and someone comes in and takes your jewelry, computer, camera, other valuables.
d) They start using/storing/selling drugs out of the apartment.
e) They invite minors over for a drunken party and the police get called right after you get home, and you all get arrested.
f) They invite scary strangers over several times, one or more of them decide that they'd like to get to know you better, and either stalks or rapes you.
g) They pass out while drinking and smoking, the apartment catches fire and you lose your staff and are sued by the landlord for damages.

I'm sure that there are many additional things that could be added to this list.

Old 12-06-2015, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquring81 View Post
This is not the worst case scenario. A few worse things I thought of in just 3 minutes of thinking:
a) While drunk they, or people they allow into the apartment when you're not there, break or steal some of your possessions.
b) You move in, they move out, but it turns out they didn't pay the rent for five months before you moved in. You're now on the hook for that extra money.
c) They leave the apartment unlocked, and someone comes in and takes your jewelry, computer, camera, other valuables.
d) They start using/storing/selling drugs out of the apartment.
e) They invite minors over for a drunken party and the police get called right after you get home, and you all get arrested.
f) They invite scary strangers over several times, one or more of them decide that they'd like to get to know you better, and either stalks or rapes you.
g) They pass out while drinking and smoking, the apartment catches fire and you lose your staff and are sued by the landlord for damages.

I'm sure that there are many additional things that could be added to this list.
and you reminded me once again why I would work two jobs before having a roommate or having to be one. I got lucky when I was younger and rented from one chick who owned the house and she was superparanoid and the neighborhood was super-law abiding so she screened really well. She could be a pain in the neck sometimes but nothing like that ever happened. The other guy I rented from owned a townhouse and actually held the place for 6 months for me because he was so picky about roommates. He didn't do anything but sit in his living room and watch howard stern but that is also better than the list you have.

Old 12-06-2015, 03:04 PM

Sorry,

I've lived with roommates all through college, and I guess I'm just not that paranoid anymore. They both work, so they've at least been drug tested. Plus, they're living in an apartment, so that means they've been through a background check. I do think money is an issue for them, though, and I do plan to contact their landlord to discuss things a little further just to make certain I know what I'm getting myself into. Really, though, I think I and everyone else on this thread, have talked me out of it.

I think I mentioned earlier that my friend was in a similar position as my potential roommates, and I did end up having to pay all of the rent one or two months, and the people she was renting from owed money on utilities. It wasn't a great set-up. I remember quite clearly, and this seems similar.

Old 12-06-2015, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regajohn View Post
What's the big infatuation with pets? (Unless you're going to have a couple of goldfish in a bowl). Having a dog when nobody's around to take care of it because you're all working is cruel to the animal. Also a dog is going to cost you about $1,500 the first year and $500 each additional year (food & medical) ... a cat is only a little bit less.
Put the money towards an emergency fund (at least four to six months of living expenses) and retirement.
I don't think the apartment allows dogs, just cats and other small animals. Pets keep people company. I think I would happier with a pet around. I don't know if everyone needs one, but I feel like I would be better off with a pet. They provide good therapy, and I don't know where you got your figure for the cat. Vaccines don't cost that much, and good shelters often get the cats the necessary vaccines before they adopt them out.

Old 12-06-2015, 05:38 PM

10,089 posts, read 6,422,760 times
I think what you're really looking for is friends, and this is how you hope to find them. You even asked the question earlier in this thread "I wonder how interested they will be in being friends if I don't move in with them?" You also mentioned that you don't like being so lonely in your current living situation. However, you've also listed several ways in which this roommate situation could potentially could go wrong. This is particularly true since you don't know these people at all. You should also realize that with your ASD you probably don't always "read" other people as accurately as you may need to.

Instead of leaving your current safe situation due to loneliness and the lack of pets, I have several suggestions: Volunteer at an animal shelter on the weekends. You can walk dogs and pet the cats - it's very rewarding for both you and the animals. Volunteer at a homeless food kitchen - you don't have to dress up OR wear makeup (which you dislike), and you will feel like part of a group of like-minded volunteers. Join a religious or philosophical organization, or a discussion group, even if it's just to get out of your apartment. You don't have to speak up; just sit and listen to the service or the discussion. There are many ways to enrich your life that won't have such potential negative consequences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues