Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 06:18 PM

994 posts, read 966,364 times

Advertisements

My father and I, my step mom and step sister moved to spartanburg,SC from Cincinnati Ohio to start new and get away from the snow. His brothers boss gave us a house to live in for free for a few months.

We have been job searching here since before we moved about 3 weeks ago and nothing yet. This house has not been lived in for a long time so it needs some work . First the hot water didnt work, but got that fixed. The furnace hasn't worked due to a bad control board, supposably getting fixed, so been using electric heaters, hasn't helped too much . Now the sewer pipes are backed up .Can't shower, do laundry , use the bathroom, no damn heat its just one thing after another.

My dad spent everything he had to get moved down here hoping all would work out but now he has no money to move back, no home to go back to . I can move back in with my mom but I worry about my dad. Sorry for the vent just needed to get it out. Any advice is appreciated.

I personally would like to find a room mate in south FL for the winter, but its iffy over the internet (craigslist)

Last edited by popwar; 12-06-2015 at 06:32 PM..

Old 12-06-2015, 06:31 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,552,551 times
Popwar, please try parsing your thoughts into separated paragraphs. Sorry, very hard to read.

Old 12-06-2015, 06:32 PM

Done

Old 12-06-2015, 06:55 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,648,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popwar View Post
My father and I, my step mom and step sister moved to spartanburg,SC from Cincinnati Ohio to start new and get away from the snow. His brothers boss gave us a house to live in for free for a few months.

We have been job searching here since before we moved about 3 weeks ago and nothing yet. This house has not been lived in for a long time so it needs some work . First the hot water didnt work, but got that fixed. The furnace hasn't worked due to a bad control board, supposably getting fixed, so been using electric heaters, hasn't helped too much . Now the sewer pipes are backed up .Can't shower, do laundry , use the bathroom, no damn heat its just one thing after another.

My dad spent everything he had to get moved down here hoping all would work out but now he has no money to move back, no home to go back to . I can move back in with my mom but I worry about my dad. Sorry for the vent just needed to get it out. Any advice is appreciated.

I personally would like to find a room mate in south FL for the winter, but its iffy over the internet (craigslist)
Are you on a septic or city sewer? Backed up pipes can be an easy fix. We had this happen many times before and sometimes the line just needs a snake ran through it to unclog it. I don't get why you want to move or talk of moving back due to backed up pipes? Fix it. Sometimes life gives us challenges and you just have to keep going forward.

I just moved out of state and it's been similar, one thing after another in the house we bought. Our home inspector must have been half asleep, but we are just doing what we need to do and move forward.

There is an initial culture shock when you move far away. It will take time to adjust and it will get better.

Old 12-06-2015, 06:59 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,602,405 times
This is why there's no such thing as a "free" house. I'm sorry that you're going through this. Now you know why a lot of us suggest not moving without a job in hand in this awful economy.

You haven't given us any details about your work experience, so it's hard to make too many suggestions.

If you're low income, you could look up job services for your county and see if they can help you. If not, I suggest going to the nearest mall and looking for seasonal work. UPS and USPS often have seasonal work, as well. That will at least get some money coming in.

If food is starting to be a problem, you might check into the food pantries, and if you're still unemployed, please volunteer there. It'll help you network and also give something back to your new community.

Good luck! Moving is stressful anyway, and that move sounds like an ongoing nightmare.

Old 12-06-2015, 07:47 PM

393 posts, read 359,760 times
What sort of work are you all looking for? It seems like Cincinnati is large enough that the job market should be pretty good.

Old 12-07-2015, 08:11 AM

I Moved with them just to get away from the snow for the winter and been putting resumes in for seasonal jobs. He's an ase mechanic for 30 years but been working on the house so hasn't had much time to look for anything. He tried 3 different gels to unclog and also a snake . it's a public system. The landlord is just taking a long time to get things fixed here.

It's not the clog that's making him want to move back , but the lack of money and everything falling apart around him . he will find something here eventually , it will just take time.

My original plan was to wait until he got situated and then move down ,but I thought I'd help him on his moving journey

Old 12-07-2015, 10:19 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,924,870 times
30 years... so no spring chicken. Why did any of you think this was a good idea? If there is a landlord, then issues of plumbing, heating or other infrastructure are not your responsibility. Finding work, not home repair, needs to be your father's focus.

Old 12-07-2015, 10:34 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,444,244 times
Have you all signed up with employment agencies?

Old 12-07-2015, 12:25 PM

318 posts, read 372,505 times
Who's idea was this?
Moving without work lined up, or savings in place to deal with life, depending on a free place sight unseen simply to get away from snow is not seen as good idea for any responsible adult. poor decision making to say the least. Everyone of working age should be signed up at an employment agency at this point, even if jobs are outside of their field. At this point money coming in is what is needed. Work is priority #1. That house sounds miserable.

Is this a new thing? If your father and his wife made a habit of dealing with crisis to crisis, things never going smoothly for long, running out of money I'm afraid that there is not much you can do OP. We can't save other people from themselves. Except get a job where you are, contribute to your keep while saving the remainder of your funds for life on your own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues